Through the eyes of a river... | Teen Ink

Through the eyes of a river...

December 20, 2011
By AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other
AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other
8 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Amongst the lush green meadows stretching till the lofty peaks mark the horizon and sharp, gleaming, golden rays of scorching sunlight scattering around blur the vision, I lie amidst the miracles of nature rushing by at a speed hard to gauge. Wait…they’re not rushing past me. In fact, I’m.

Venture begins with no starting point; I have laps but a race against time. There comes a broken branch and there I go screaming with waves of umpteen amount of water. The broken is now destroyed, the destroyed now forgotten. I’m built upon a fabric of minerals and such perished bodies and provide a bed for rocks, hidden treasures and creatures to feed upon.

Here comes an unwelcome guest, as it is reaching close, I can see it diving with two elegant wings and a streamlined body poking its yellow beak penetrating my surface. The next moment, I see a helpless dying fish sandwiched between its sharp beak. It’s gone. That’s life. That creature might come here again in search of more hunt, more food.

Whoosh—I steer swiftly—yes, I‘m a bad driver. I smash the trees, hit the rocks and stones, sometimes tearing them apart. I, too, hurl droplets of water during my path and have fun when the miraculous thing happens—winters come and summers go; summers come and winters go. Little water evaporates, little freezes to a temperature that sends chills to my soul and tickles me right to the bottom. Lo! I can see myself crossing a village. Topless kids ready to yank themselves into my precious being and taste the fun of pure, fresh me. Unable to contain any excitement, I too taste the fun and frolic. I laugh when they laugh, I’m relieved when they’re tired and leave with a plan to come again next day.

I feel satisfied to know that my presence benefits many creatures on this planet. I have a reason to live, to drive madly.

Roaring with a musical pattern, slipping against the sand lying underneath me, I’m totally animated. I see my lost part rushing from the East towards me and we unite with each drop mixing, forming a new whole. Noise. Bubbles.

Together we, now I, rage towards my destiny—the ocean. During my course, I witness flocks and herds of animals coming near to drink water—the universal sustainer.

My destination has arrived. The sea. What a striking scenario I see as I flow down. The sun is above the unlimited water with its reflection entirely merged causing it to be reflected by every little entity the sea holds. Tough for eyes to behold, yet beautiful.

Darting down faster than I ever experienced, I embrace the whole lot of sea I see ahead of me. The moment is eternal. Passing through so many scenic heavens on this planet, I meet my end—I’m from the sky, I’m from the ocean. I’m the river.


The author's comments:
It's something that came to my mind out of nowhere and my fingers itched badly to pour my thoughts on the paper, then on TeenInk. It's a piece I personally enjoy reading every single time; I hope you do, too! :)