Death of Don Julius: A Conspiracy | Teen Ink

Death of Don Julius: A Conspiracy

By winieandrea PLATINUM, Pekalongan, Other
winieandrea PLATINUM, Pekalongan, Other

CHARACTERS:

DON JULIUS
: Leader of a mafia group characterized by his wise, calm personality in almost every situation.
DE VINO
: Don Julius’ trusted right hand. Can be very sarcastic and laid back at the same time. Cares about Don Julius genuinely.
CASIO
: Don Julius’ 2nd partner; leader of the conspiracy to kill Don Julius.
BRUNO
: Don Julius’ 3rd brother he trusted most after De Vino; agreed with Casio to betray Don Julius.
MARCUS
: Don Julius’ trusted concierge, also involved in the conspiracy.
WALTER
: A bartender who runs a bar called Caesar’s. He’s anxious over the bad business.

SETTING:
Caesar’s for Scene 1
Cathedral for Scene 2

SCENE 1

[WALTER in the bar, wiping glasses]
[DON JULIUS, DE VINO enter from stage right]

DV
: Walter!
WAL
: Sir? [nervous]
DV
: Vodka for the don.
WAL
: What about you sir?
DV
: Pepsi-Cola is fine.
WAL
: Right away sir [preparing]

[WALTER serving the drinks]

DJ
: So how’s the business going, my friend?
WAL
: [stutter] Well, sir, it is…
DV
: Why the stutter Walter? Running this fancy bar get you worn out? [drinks Pepsi] Hmm, Pepsi-Cola.
WAL
: Well, it’s… Oh, how can I explain…
DV
: This bar, what’s the name again? [takes another sip of Pepsi]
WAL
: [clears throat] It’s Caesar’s, sir.
DV
: That’s right—Caesar’s. Such a fancy name to light this dull district! It’s too bad to have it closed down, right Don?
DJ
: Not so hasty, De Vino. Let the man explain himself.
WAL
: [nervous] Sir, it’s all good, sir.
DJ
: You’re a bad liar, son. A man with such quality benefits me. Now, why don’t you tell me the truth? [vicious tone]
WAL
: Oh, sir… I do not know how to explain.
DV
: Just tell what happened.
DJ
: The Don is turned to hear. Now, speak.
WAL
: We are running low on patrons… And—and the sirens never stop wailing. They always try to find a way to close this bar. It was just yesterday when I saw some units roam around. Ah, but somehow we manage to save… Well it’s—it’s difficult, sir.
DV
: [drinks Pepsi] I see your bar is running low on employees too.
WAL
: Ah, n-no employees, sir.
DJ
: [plays the glass] Have you considered taking a break?
WAL
: Oh, sir, please I can’t! This bar is the only thing that feeds me, sir! And I-I have families too, sir!
DV
: Exactly the Don’s point. Take a break. We’ll deport you back to China.
WAL
: I am from England, sir.
DV
: Oh.
WAL
: Ah, please good sirs! Please save this bar! I’ll make sure to overcome more difficulties, sir. Just save me this bar!
DJ
: Then it’s too bad. It is your low earnings that prevent us to do so. [puts glass back] Enough talking now, I think we are done here. Why don’t we take our leave?
DV
: [finish Pepsi] It’s certainly too bad for you, Walty. Good day.

[DON JULIUS and DE VINO prepare to exit the scene]
WAL
: Sir! What if I tell you this information sir? I’m very sure you need to hear this!
DV
: [wave his hand, keep walking]
WAL
: They say the Don will surely die!
[Both stop walking]
DV
: What is it again?
WAL
: Someone is against you, sir. And they plan to…
DV
: Keep telling.
WAL
: Ah but will you please save this bar if I tell you, sir? Please!
DJ
: Only if your little information worth hearing. Now tell!
WAL
: The other day some people came around. They said something about the Don being too vexing and I heard they were plotting to kill the Don soon on March 15!
DV
: But today is March 15! Did you recognize them?
WAL
: Men in black, I guess?
DJ
: So you managed to see their faces?
WAL
: Sir, I did not. It was dark. The bar was closed and I was about to go home. They were just outside, on this street. I—I thought they were the police so I stayed inside and hid myself!
DV
: Don.
WAL
: It was serious, sir, they were!
DV
: I think we should find ourselves a secure place immediately.
DJ
: Rumors are merely rumors, De Vino. We better take our leave now.
DV
: [anxious] But what if the rumors were true? I have heard similar rumor too.
DJ
: So you believe this.
DV
: I have a feeling about it.
DJ
: [thinking]
DV
: Look, the last time you ignored a rumor you lost your cat!
DJ
: [thinking] For your sake then, I might as well consider—

[MARCUS enters the scene]

DJ
: Ah, Marcus, you’re here.
MAR
: I’m glad Bruno told me the two of you are here. It took you so long so I thought I’d come and check.
DJ
: What is it?
MAR
: Our brother’s kid, remember? We should hurry to the cathedral after we—
WAL
: The cathedral! Sir, I remember they said something about the cathedral too!
DV
: Are you positive about this?
WAL
: Yes, sir, I am very positive. I may be old but my memory is unswerving.
MAR
: What?
DV
: Don’s in danger, Marcus. I think we should secure—
MAR
: What are you talking about?
DV
: The bartender informed us that there will be an attempt to take the Don’s life.
MAR : That is outrageous! Nobody dares to take Don’s life! Such attempt would be ridiculed by the whole Sicilian familia.
DV
: Please, Don, Marcus! We have to think this through. This is not a simple gossip that someone would spread without even thinking! There must be something happening. I do not think it’s safe to go to the Cathedral right now as it is packed with a lot of other familia. What if the rumor is true? The Don’s life would be in danger!
MAR
: That is ridiculous! De Vino, please remember that our Don is one of the strongest and most formidable Don in the whole Sicilian family history!

[Pause]

Don, don’t you think that it would be such a great disgrace to our family if you decided not to come to our brother’s son’s baptism?! We would be a laughing matter for a long time! Don, please think this through. You must honor the familia and its code.
DV
: But, Don—
DJ
: No. Marcus is right; I have to go to the baptism in the cathedral.
DV
: What about your life?
DJ
: Have you heard nothing that Marcus has said? I am the greatest Don in the whole Sicilian familia. I conquered the whole Italy through business and politics; my power surpasses even the highest rank of those government fools. Everyone comes to me for help, they need my help. I am the father of all Sicilian familia. I am second to none—indestructible, unconquerable. I am the Italian’s northern star.
DV
: Don, I respect you the most but your life is at stake! Even Italian’s northern star can lose its light and die out! And when that happens, the Great Don Julius and the Sicilian familia will be nothing more than a lifeless mass of men!
MAR
: De Vino—
DJ
: Bear in mind that a coward dies a thousand times before his death, De Vino. [Pause] I have often told you that the greater the tower, the greater the wind. Knowing this, are you suggesting that I should fall down and die every time a rumor comes into sight?
DV
: No, I did not mean you to lie down in cowardice, Don. And I stand in awe to your strength, but then again—
DJ
: Don’t let yourself dwell in fear any further. [Pause] Save your worries because my strength overcomes all.
DV
: [Silent]
MAR
: Let us go now, Don. They are waiting.
DJ
: True. [To DE VINO] You can stay here and take a good care of Walter’s bar. We will get back here right after the baptism.
DV
: [Pause] Alright. Be safe.

[DON JULIUS and MARCUS exits]

WAL
: Sir?
DV
: Let’s just hope what you heard isn’t true, Walty. [Pause]

And by the way if it isn’t, I shall give up saving the bar and blow your head off immediately.
WAL
: I-I only hope for the best, sir.
DV
: [Sigh]
WAL
: Uh, more Pepsi-Cola, sir?

[SCENE 1 ends]

SCENE 2

[In the Cathedral. BRUNO and CASIO discuss something]

BRU
: You called me here, telling me of an important baptism—which I suppose is not ours to attend if there is one—and now you talk nonsense!

If you think I am so low as to resign to jealousy over Don’s ascend to glory, you can save your words before they poison others, Casio.
CAS
: Don Julius is just a man, as you and I are. We drove our ways together from the rundown street of Calabria to the north—to this very place. Thus he is no greater than us, as all of us run in the same wheel of fate, but of course unless he intends from the beginning that he alone will be on the highest and us following him like dogs.
BRU
: We may run in the same wheel, but on different track, or maybe it is Don’s speed that is greater than the both of us that he leads.
CAS
: Do you not want to accelerate as well, Bruno? You shall take the lead and everyone else follows. I know you well and I know him well, thus I know that you would be a better figure for our family.
BRU
: I am flattered by your praise, Casio. If you know me that well—or so you said—you would know how well I uphold the brotherhood, our oath.
CAS
: Then I tell you this, Bruno, my brother, that our dearest Don cares not a wimp about us: it is a pride over glory or glory over pride. It is the same since our Diaspora. You do know.
BRU
: [pause] I do recall that time when he left us.
CAS
: [smiling wickedly] And he does even now! He settles upon his throne, thinking of ditching us all. Look at him now, taking care of things in his and his own way. Where are our parts in them—the brotherhood we swore?
BRU
: [thinking] You are right. Then let us free the familia from Don’s rancor.
CAS
: I know I can rely on you, my brother.

[DON JULIUS and MARCUS enter the scene]

BRU
: [whisper] they’re here.
[Both turn to face DON JULIUS and MARCUS]
CAS
: [fresh expression] Ah, speaking of the devil. You’re finally here, brother!
BRU
: We were waiting for you, Don.
DJ
: Where is the little child?
BRU
: They are on their way, or so I thought.
DJ
: Alright then, we shall wait.
CAS
: The child shall be grateful to you, for it is such an honor that the Don would await the child.
DJ
: [smile] Give and ye shall receive, Casio. It is an honor not only for him but for me as well that time is sacrificed.
CAS
: I see [glance at MARCUS]. Then [face DON JULIUS] if there is time to wait, we shall make use of it. Pardon me [taking gun out of pocket] Don Julius, brother, to rob away your sacrifice [points gun at DON JULIUS]
DJ
: If there is even more time, Casio, I would not hesitate to join your game.
MAR
: [Points gun as well] You know us too well to think of this as a joke, brother. We don’t make jokes too apparent.
DJ
: [Surprised] What is this all about?
MAR
: I think the Don knows.
DJ
: What is it, Marcus, Casio? What did you two dose yourselves with to perform such a foolish act? Bruno, care you to tell me of this child’s play?
BRU
: [Points his gun]
DJ
: [Shocked] Even you, Bruno?
BRU
: Pardon me, dear brother. But I have decided to end your indulgence.
DJ
: [thinking] I see. So this whole meeting was a setup.
CAS
: Well, no, not everything. You see, this is the cathedral, Don. Baptizing you would be a great honor. [Shoot DON JULIUS]
MAR
: [Shoot as well]
DJ
: [Dying, facing BRUNO]
BRU
: [Furious] An eye for an eye, brother. [Shoot]

[DON JULIUS falls]

CAS
: So it is over now.
MAR
: I never thought it would be this early to see Don lying on the ground.
BRU
: Let us go, shall we? For today is a new day.
CAS
: Amen.

[CASIO, MARCUS, and BRUNO exit, leaving DON JULIUS]

William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Mario Puzo's The Godfather inspired this play. The plot is almost the same as Shakespeare's, only somehow 'modernized' by following the concept of life from The Godfather.

This is actually a school work.