THE MAD MAN | Teen Ink

THE MAD MAN

By never_before_seen BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia
never_before_seen BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia

"there is nothing to fear but fear itself."

Before I get started, I know what you're thinking. I'm mad. Loony. Insane. I don't need you to tell me. I already know that. Anyways, on with the story.

I think it was a Wednesday. Yeah, it was. The day that terrible man moved in. don't get me wrong here, he was a good man. In his mid 30's. Pharmaceutical salesman. Nice guy. But there was something, something that made me do it. I think it was his left eye. It was all white. No pupil or anything. I don't know how the idea got into my head, but when it got there, I couldn't get it out. I had to kill him.

So that night, I planned how I was going to do it. I stayed up hours thinking up the perfect plan. I finally thought of one. I would sneak into his room at about midnight. I would then shine a thin beam of light from a flashlight onto his evil eye. If it was open, I would kill him. If it was closed, he lived. Genius, right?

During the next week, I was the kindest person ever to him. I made him coffee, got his mail for him, and talked with him. But, every night, at midnight, I would sneak into his room and shine the flashlight on his evil eye. It was closed.

For seven nights I did the same thing, all with the same outcome. Always closed. On the eighth night, the same thing happened. But as I slid out, I bumped my head. Apparently, he is a light sleeper. When he screamed, “WHO'S THERE?”, I knew that tonight was the night. As I once again shined the flashlight onto the evil eye, I saw that it was open. I didn't move, because if I did, he would scream. And if he screamed, the neighbors would hear. And if they heard it, they would call the cops. And I don't want that to happen. So I just stood still.

After what seemed like forever, I heard something beating. It started soft and slow, but it got louder and faster. It took me a little while to figure out what it was. It was the mans heart. It was driving me mad! When it failed to stop, I decided it was now or never. So I pounced on him. He screamed. But only once. He only had time to scream once before I grabbed him by his throat. I slammed him against a wall and chocked him until I couldn't hear the heart beat anymore.

You would have laughed at how cautiously I cleaned up. I first wiped the body free of my fingerprints. Then I dragged the corpse to the bathroom and threw it in the tub. That way the blood wouldn't drip anywhere. I then got an Axe and started my favorite part: dismembering the body. I first chopped off the left arm, followed by the right. I did the same with the legs. I then cut off his head. After I was done, I knocked a hole in the wall, witch I then stuffed the body into. I then covered the entire bathroom with wallpaper to disguise the hole.

By the time I finished, it was about 10 A.M. I was exhausted and lied down on the couch, planning to sleep for a couple minutes. I was waken up by a loud knock on the door at 4 P.M. When I opened it, guess who it was? You guessed it, the cops. One of the cops, I think the sheriff said, “We got a call from a neighbor, about hearing a scream in the middle of the night. Foul play has been suspected. We'll need to search your house.”“go right on ahead,” I said, “search well. The scream was mine. I had a nightmare.” I knew that I hid the body well. They would never find it.

“The man,” I said confidently, “is on vacation in Canada.” First, they searched my bedroom. Then the kitchen. Living room. Dining room. When they got to the bathroom, I got a little nervous. I was relived when the sheriff said, “All clear.”

After that, I invited them to stay for dinner. They happily agreed. While I made dinner, they chatted about the usual stuff. “ I wonder when this rain will clear up,” said one. “ I hope it will soon. I don't want my sons baseball game to be canceled,” said another. After a while of this, I heard what sounded like a watch ticking. It turned in to a beating sound. Then it started to get louder. And louder. So loud that I worried the neighbors would hear it. But the cops just kept on talking, as if they didn't hear it.

After twenty more minutes if the cops mindless babble and the beating, which I assumed was the mans heart, getting louder, I couldn't take it anymore. “AAAAAAH! VILLANS! TEAR OFF THE WALL PAPER! THERE- IT'S THE MANS HIDEOUS HEART!”
THE END

this is my take on Edgar Allan Poe's "the tell tale heart.