Untitled

Haven Mercury piles her hair on top of her head in a messy bun from where she sits in the back corner of class. The bun doesn't look good on her, and she missed a long strand of hair by the nape of her neck.

As soon as the bun settles on the top of her head, she angrily takes it down. She's self conscious. Today is a bad day for her, I can tell. Her brown hair falls in unruly waves down the back of her head, and it's parted in the middle of her scalp. She pushes her hair in an unnatural direction, so now her hair is parted on the far right side of her head. She doesn't look good. She puts it in a messy bun again, and then rests her cheek in the palm of her hand. She looks sad, and I can tell it's not because of her hair.

The bell rings, and Haven snatches her books into her arms before thanking the teacher and running out the door. She swipes light pink lip gloss onto her big lips and stares at herself in the tiny mirror in her locker. A boy taps on her shoulder, and she smiles a little bit. Just a little bit. She follows him down the hall.

And now I'm standing in the hallway like a fool. The yellow walls seem to laugh at me. Do they laugh at Haven Mercury?

"Haven? She misses him, yeah. Can't you tell? She doesn't say more than a few words to anybody." A girl says from behind me. I turn. The girl's hair falls in crisp curls down to her chest.

I clutch at my heart, but it's not there. They're talking about me. Haven Mercury misses me, just like she promised she would. She didn't really think I would really do it, did she?

I run down the hallway as fast as I can, and I sit down next to Haven and the boy who made her smile. Haven's hair is in a braid now, and I like it. The boy keeps glancing at her, but Haven doesn't notice it. The boy is in love with her. Is Haven in love with the boy?

She raises her hand and then leaves the room. I follow her out, down the hall. It's like a maze.

Then, Haven sits down on the ground of a bathroom stall, and she cries. I catch the water pouring from her eyes, and the salt stings me. Her black rings of makeup under her eyes turn into a muddy mess trickling down her porcelain skin, and it makes me sad to see her so distraught.

So, I hug her. She hugs me back. And then I kiss her head.

She whispers that she knows I'm with her. I smile. Haven Mercury has always been such a smart girl.

"Don't be sad." I murmur. Haven nods and wipes her tears.

"Did it hurt?" She asks quietly.

"No. Not at all." I tell her.

She is at peace. Light comes back into her face.

Haven picks herself up and I stand up with her. I hug her waist like I used to while she looks at herself in the mirror. Her hair looks perfect in that braid.

She walks back to sit with that boy who loves her.

DreamingOutQuiet said...
May 25, 2012 at 8:40 pm:
I like this. Just remember to show instead of tell

DanielM said...
May 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm:
Mhm.....i liked your title first of all. Secondly i liked your story it was intersting. It drew me in at the begining. Suggestions....maybe make a part two cause this was awesome for only one part

AbigailElizabeth replied...
May 25, 2012 at 7:38 pm :
thank you! I'll think about continuing it