The Life of A Plant

In the springtime, three little sproutlings peek out of the warm soil of a well-mended garden. They squint up at the blinding sun and the tops of the shady tree beneath which they lie. The brothers' first nights are very cold; every dawn, they must wait for frost to melt off of their tiny, fuzzy leaves. Each day, after a young girl returns from school, she encourages the second brother to grow as high as he can. He is the first sproutling to grow to be five inches tall. After five long weeks, the last born brother dies in the nighttime. Still awake, the second sighs deeply. A leaf falls from him and rests beside the wilted body of his friend. When the morning sun rises, there are only two sproutlings left.

Soon, summer rolls around to the garden. Every day, the young girl sits by the sproutlings and waters them until they are full and tired enough to nap. Around noon one day, a baby doe trots up to the garden and sniffs around the sproutlings. They both are now tall, and the second one bears the juiciest blossoms anyone had ever seen. The doe gently plucks a single petal from one, but is soon driven away from the garden by the young girl. She unintentionally kicks the bottom of the first plant, uprooting it. It dies a day later. The second brother weeps.

Months later, the young girl and her family move away from the heartbroken plant, leaving him lonely. He doesn't make it through the winter.

The next spring, a new family moves into the house. The one child, a little boy, discovers the overgrown garden one day while exploring. He sits down next to a tiny sproutling and whispers to it to grow as big as it can.

Melliana said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:04 pm:
Beautiful piece. Your use of personification and symbolism in this piece is simply mystifying. You and I have similar writing styles, which is always refreshing to see. Keep up the good work.

Book_addict said...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm:
THIS. IS. AWESOME. !!!!!!!!!!!!

EMis1123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm:
This is spectacular! Your writing style is really wonderful--it reminds me of prose poetry.