The Dream

Matt’s day started like any other day, he went through the same routine. He would wake up, eat, and then take his kids to school before he went to work. He loathed his work. Every day he would go to work, and sit behind a desk and go over papers. Everyday the same thing over and over. Matt’s life wasn’t like what he had expected at all. When he was in high school he was one of the kids that always pulled pranks on everyone. He always made life fun, but now life wasn’t what he wanted. He had very disturbing thoughts going through his heads, thoughts of suicide. His day continued just like the last fifteen years had: Lunch break at noon, then back to work, then he would leave at five.

As the weeks went by, Matt continued to have these thoughts of suicide going through his head. My life doesn’t matter at all; nobody would care if I was gone. Nothing would change. People would be better of without me: my family and work. One night, as he lay in bed not being able to sleep, those thoughts kept creeping back into his head. Soon it was the only thing that he could think about. He thought it was the best thing that he could do. Then he fell into a deep sleep.

*

*

*

He awoke the next morning and looked at the clock. It was five forty five. Why I can’t sleep past seven on the weekend, he wonders as he got of bed. As his day went on, he did his same usual routine. Eat, sit on the couch and watch football. “Hey everyone, I’m going to go for a drive.” There was no response like usual. His family was always doing something else. His ten year old son Brian was in the basement playing videogames or on the computer. Susie, his sixteen year old was constantly out with friends, either going to the mall, to movies or parties. So even on the weekend’s he never saw his kids.

Matt took his keys, and went out and drove his motorcycle. This was the only thing that he truly enjoyed about his life, driving around on his cycle. Just him going fast, it was his escape from reality. So he drove. As he drove those thoughts came back to his head. He finally decided that it was the right thing to do. It was the only way for him to truly escape. So as he headed back to his house he saw a giant building. He climbed to the top, looked down, prayed, and jumped.

*

*

*

Matt woke up, right were he landed. He started to slowly rise up and up. After a little while, he could see his family with the police at his house. He saw them explain to his wife what had happened. He could see the pain on her face as he rose higher and higher into the sky. He passed the clouds and continued to rise until he couldn’t see anything. Then he suddenly stopped, fell and landed on a cloud. “Hello,” he shouted looking around wondering were he was. Then when he thought nobody was there he heard a voice in his head. As he listened, in the distance he saw something coming towards him. As it came closer it seemed to look like a bird but then he realized what it was. It was an angel. “Hello Matthew, as you know you’re dead.”

“Yes I know”

“And do you feel better?”

“Yeah, umm, I don’t know your name or who you are.”

“Oh yes, I am Tommy, I am an angel. You probably already realized that.” Tommy announced, “And God wanted me to come and show you your life.”

“God, why didn’t he stop me, isn’t he always watching?”

“Yes he’s always watching” Tommy said, “but it seemed like you had made up your mind and there was no convincing you.”

“Ok” Matt said with a puzzled look on his face. “So what are we doing here, why can’t I meet God”

“You aren’t ready to meet him, you said that nobody will miss you, and you accomplished nothing in your life” Well, lets review.

*

*

*

There was a big flash and Matt went blind. After he could clearly see again he started upon his old high school. “What are we doing here?” Matt blurted

“I already told you Here we are, your high school in 1993 on May 2nd. Do you recall what happened on this day?”

Matt thought and thought but couldn’t remember anything that happened on that day. “Nope”

“Well then let me show you.” The day went on; nothing happened that seemed very important, it was just the usual. It was just another regular day of school. Then school ended and on his walk home. Then there was a tiny little kid a hundred feet in front of him. All of a sudden a few punks jumped out of some bushes and started to attack this kid. Matt came down and helped the poor kid. “See; right here you made a difference.”

“Helping a little kid getting beat up? Wow, this was huge.” Matt said with a very sarcastic tone.

“Let me show you what would have happened if you didn’t help this poor kid.”
As the kid got attacked, nobody helped him. He went home went into his Dad’s drawer, took out a pistol and killed himself.

“See what you did, by just doing that you saved a boy’s life. Your life did affect many other people.” Said Tommy. He quickly flashed through many other, situations that ended up greatly affected many other people.

“Yea so what I helped a few people, everyone does that and nobody will miss me.

“Once again you are wrong. Let’s go back to the present day.”

*

*

*

There was another flash and they appeared at his house. They watched his family for a few days to observe the change. They barely talked to each other. His wife worked two jobs to support the family. Susie was drinking and getting involved to drugs to try to ease the pain and little Brian was made fun of all day. He goes home to nobody, and is always alone. “Do you see how you affected them?” Now let’s go to the future. They flashed to 2015, five years in the future. “Do you want to see what your family is doing?”

Susie was a prostitute. Brian was working at a McDonalds and finishing up high school. Martha his wife was still working two jobs. “Do you see what happened to your family?” Matt just stood there, his chin down, and staring in awe. Alright Matt now wake up.”

*

*

*

Matt slowly sat up and looked at the clock. Five forty five. He could never sleep past seven any more. Matt rubbed his eyes. Was that a dream? It must have been. Matt got up, and took a shower. He got out of the shower, as he was drying himself off he looked up at the mirror. Don’t forget what happened. Hopefully this day will not turn out the same way. Matt quickly pinched himself to see if it was real. He blinked and then it was gone.

Matt continued to do what he did every Saturday. He watched football, but when it was time for him to go for his usual drive he got the whole family together and went out to eat. As they all went out they everyone wondered what the special occasion was. All that Matt said was that it was a great day to be alive. Matt thanked the lord for a second chance as he went on with his life. Matt continued to change up his life, constantly trying new things, helping people and doing those more things he always had wanted to do.

*

*

*

The years went by and when it came to 2015 rolled around, his family were when they nothing his “dream” his wife Martha worked part time for one job, his son was finishing up high school, his daughter was in college. Matt is thankful everyday for his “dream” and how his life turned around.