Runaway

Cold wind brushed my hair on the dark intersection. A street lamp was flickering on and off near the tainted STOP sign. To the right of me was Lake Parlor, and to the left was a dense, uncharted forest. I was alone on the dirt road, waiting aimlessly for a passerby. I looked upward and reached for the luminous stars that always shone bright, no matter what the circumstances.

They’re like me, I thought. They’re all so insignificant to the night sky. I just wish…

"I wish I may, I wish I might, upon the first star I see tonight… give me a home."

I sat down at the small and deserted crossroads as I heard the crickets sing a song of freedom. A tear rolled down my cheek as I watched the shining ripples of the lake dance in the moonlight…

“I hate you!” I yelled, throwing my arms at my mother. She was ablaze in anger but surprised at my scream. Why would she do such a thing, I thought. She slapped me across my face.

“I’ve had it!” She screamed.

“You’ve had it? You have no idea!”

With that, I stormed out of my room and paced outside.

What could I do? Just stay? Well, there wasn’t any choice. I picked my things up and began to walk toward the little house on the lit hill.