A Fairytale of Today | Teen Ink

A Fairytale of Today

Scarlette Chaput was a freshman at Harvard University, majoring in psychology. Her hair was golden, framing her face in soft flowing curls. Her eyes were two crystal blue diamonds that could pierce through you like ice. She was a sweet girl, who tended to her sick grandmother every weekend. Scarlette always had a soft spot in her heart for the old woman.
Scarlette packed the apple pie she'd just made into her large wooden basket. Pulling her red wool coat on, she walked out of her dorm and began across campus. Her grandmother lived just a few minutes away from the University, so the eighteen year old decided to walk the short distance.
She let her mind wander and listened to the soft crunch of gravel under her feet, watching some fallen leaves dancing in the breeze. They had begun to change to a lovely golden-yellow.
The sound of snapping twigs pulled her out of her daze. She spun around to see Phelan Wolffe standing right behind her. When she squeaked in alarm he smiled, as if he was satisfied that he was able to frighten her. He was a wolf, licking his lips in anticipation of his next meal.
Scarlette knew his type. Phelan was one of those phrat guys who got by on good looks and a rich father. She generally tried to avoid him because of his pompous, I own the world and everything in it attitude. It scared her.
His black eyes seared into her, and she felt the hairs on the back of her neck rise.
"Hello," choked out, paralyzed by fear.
"Hi," he scoffed. "Where are you going?"

"T-T-to my grandmother's. She said, although immediately afterward she regretted that she had. She was smarter than that.
"Really, where does she live?" he asked, playing with the keys to his Porsche.
Scarlette wondered what he would do if she refused to tell him. Would he simply walk away, or would he demand to know?
She reached a shaking hand up and pointed toward the direction of her grandmother's home saying, "Elm street." Why am I telling him this?, Scarlette's mind whirled . She wanted desperately to leave, to run all the way to her grandma's home, where she would feel safe and warm within it's walls. But she didn't want to be silly, or look like a fool. He's standing too close, she thought, taking a step back.

"Oh," his eyes flashed toward that street and then to his Porsche, that was sitting about twenty feet away in the student parking lot.
Did he really do that, or am I just imagining it? She wondered with a sharp pang of fear. "Well, I really should be going now," she said, praying that he could not hear the panic in her voice. Phelan did not say a word, but walked quickly toward the parking lot.
She pushed the odd meeting from her mind as she continued on her way down the road. Though she could no longer enjoy the simple distractions that had seemed so pleasant a few minutes ago. Scarlette checked her watch; It was still a little early to show up at Grandma's, so she decided to take the long route.
When she finally arrived at her grandmother's home, there were no lights on inside.

"Granny must have overslept," she said to herself, giggling.
Scarlette knocked on the door, and waited to hear the sound of Granny's slippers shuffling across the tile floor. When the sound did not come, she let herself in.
"Granny, are you here?" she called. Something's not right, leave now!, her conscience screamed.
"In here, darling," called a voice vaguely like her grandmother's.
Scarlette walked toward the room that the voice was coming from.
She did not see him behind the door until it was too late, he had already covered her mouth with tape and restrained her arms with one hand .
"If you scream, I'll kill you." he told her, his voice as cold as steel.
Who is this?! Her conscience screamed again.
Scarlette whimpered as he pulled her by her hair to her to her grandmother's closet. She saw his reflection in the mirror. Staring back at her was Phelan Wolffe. He opened the door with a bang with his free hand. There on the floor, lay her grandmother. Scarlette let out a soft cry before realizing that Grandma was in fact breathing, just unconscious.
"She'll be dead too, if you try to run"
He slammed the door shut again, and lead her into the living room. He threw her onto the couch, causing her head to hit the wall with such force that she blacked out.
The next thing that Scarlette knew, the tape was being pulled off of her mouth and Phelon was calmly sitting in front of her on the coffee table.
"If your 'e smart, you'll stay quiet, but I hope that you know that I was serious about what I said before." he warned
"Why did you do this?" she asked, her voice trembling. "We did nothing to you! HELP!" she screamed.
He lunged forward and pushed his palm onto her mouth to quiet her, with no attempt at gentleness. "Shut up!," he hissed. He put the tape over her mouth again, and she began to sob.
The wolf had found it's prey, and was ready to kill.
Scarlette knew that she would surely die if she didn't do something, so she fought back. Phelan was stronger than she was but Scarlette was determined. She kicked and punched, and did all she could. Finally, she grabbed a lamp of the coffee table and struck him in the face with it.
He yelled out in pain and punched her in the face. A neighbor that was walking by heard and walked up to the door. When the doorbell rang she saw her chance to escape and pulled the tape off with her newly free 'd hands. She screamed at the top of her lungs, "He's in there, HELP!" as she proceeded to try to fight Phelon off.
The neighbor ran inside, and tackled Wolffe to the ground while Scarlette ran to call the police. Finally this horrible ordeal would be over.

Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York

I know nothing, but of miracles.

I like the modern adaption to Little Red Riding Hood, but some parts are a little weak. How did Wolffe get to the house in the first place and the ending leaves more to tell. Are you going to write another story soon?

on Apr. 17 2009 at 5:48 am
Allaboutlyf BRONZE, Hollis, New York
Really heartwarming!!

I love how you're so descriptive in the beginning..

check out my piece..>>>>

TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/91026/Alexandria/