Anniversary

Today is the anniversary. The anniversary of her death. I celebrate it every year, and I have never once missed it. I remember her very well, even though it has been so long. Twenty- seven years, to be exact. Twenty- seven anniversaries. Twenty- seven days filled with nothing except emotion and blissful retrospection. Each anniversary is the same. I wake up and I think about that day. The day she died. Then I remember. I remember her long, black hair. I remember her olive skin. I remember her flawless face; her dull hazel eyes, which she liked to think were flecked with gold. They weren’t. I remember. I remember everything.

She was my sister, you know. Not step-sister or best-friend-sister. She was my flesh-and-blood sister, born exactly two years and seven months and three days after me. She was happy; she had plenty of friends. She was pretty, too. I used to wish I was that pretty. She was also smart. She was a good girl. She was. She was, she was, she was. Not anymore. She’s dead.

Everyone was sad when she died. Sad, sad, sad. Mommy cried a lot, and daddy didn’t talk for a while. Everybody said they were very sorry for our loss. I wanted to explain to them, it didn’t matter how sorry they were. Nothing could bring her back. Nothing would change. Nothing, nothing, nothing. She was dead, and dead is dead. Dead is dead.

On the day of her funeral, more people were sorry. I don’t think I have ever seen so many sorry people. Sorry, sorry, sorry. I wasn’t sorry. Why should I be? Should I feel sorry? I don’t think so. I saw all those other sorry people, and, well, why would I want to be like them? I’m not sorry. Not when I look so nice. Mommy got me a pretty black dress, with black lace and black frills. She wore a black dress too, and it matched the make-up that ran in dirty streaks down her face when she cried again at the service. See? I told you I remember. I remember everything. I remember how nervous my daddy was because he hadn’t gotten his suit cleaned like he should have. I think that’s pretty silly. No one cares about your suit, daddy. They’re too busy feeling sorry. But not me. I’m not sorry. My black dress reminds me of her hair.

She was murdered, you know. Murdered. I’m not sorry.

I have a confession. I lied. Lie, lie, lie. I said nothing could bring her back. But she comes back. She comes back every night, and she talks to me. She talks to me when I’m asleep, and whispers creepy things in my ear. She tells me I should be sorry.

I’m. Not. Sorry.

CarrieAnn13 said...
Oh, this is definitely interesting!  I like the way you say so many people were 'sorry' because that's really what happens when someone dies.  I love the twist at the end too!  Amazing job, Sweet_Deceit!

Sweet_Deceit replied...
Thanks so much! To be honest, I'm not as aquainted with death as our dear frined in my story here (a good thing, I must admit ^^"), so I'm glad it sounded realistic :D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
You did sound quite realistic.  When someone I loved died, this was exactly what happened.  Everyone was 'sorry.'

NavishJaved said...

My honest opinion: OMG! This was just too awesome. This was very simple and short, but it had a lot of emotions. I feel so sorry for the main character. In this short story, you explained a lot.

However, I don't think that you should repeat words. For example, you wrote, "I lied. Lie, lie, lie." I think that you could have left out, "Lie, lie, lie." Hmm . . . it's an honest opinion!

Overall, very good! :D

Silver_Bullets_and_Sunshine replied...

-Insert heavenly choir of angels-

Thank you so much! I LOVE feedback. And I really appreciate comments, so thank you very much!

And it's nice to know about the repetition. I sort of thought it was unnecessary at some parts, like when you pointed out, but I was trying to make it part of her voice, I guess? Like, she's sort of crazy. Anyway, it's good to know what you thought!

Thanks again, to you and everyone, for commenting!

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is amazing. I'm going to be honest, this really creeped me out but in a good way!! i think its really something and i think your are a really good writer, amazing work!! :D

-Insert_Evil_Laugh- replied...
Thank you so so so much for all of your comments! They are so appreciated! :D

CharlesDickens said...
This was an amazing short story!  Reminds me of Edgar Allan Poe!  If I ever wrote anything like that, people would think I plageurized it!  Thank you for sharing this with me!

-Insert_Evil_Laugh- replied...
No problem! Thanks for commenting! I like this one too; it was one of those pieces where you just start writing and then BAM! you've created something pretty dang good. If only that happened more often...^^"

AlyBug said...
wow this was amazing and kinda creepy lol i LOVE it!!! great job. it was good and to the point but not soo much to the point where it gives everything away... awesome story :):)

-Insert_Evil_Laugh- replied...
Thank you! That's exactly what I was aiming for, :D

AmandaPanda123 said...
Great short story! That was awesome.

-Insert_Evil_Laugh- replied...
Thank you :D

lostnhim said...
Whoa!!! Intenseness!!! This is great... I agree with ...PensiveGurl... Creeepy. But not the bad kind of creepy. Its like whoa, thats creepy, but its got you on the edge of your seat, and you want to read more... Love it! (:

MyFriendFate replied...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 8:19 am
Thanls so much!!! :3

MyFriendFate replied...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 8:19 am
(hemhem, *thanks*. :D)

lostnhim said...
Whoa! Intenseness.... This is really good. You have a serious talent!(:

...PensiveGurl... said...
Very interesting. It's creepy and a little disturbing (i mean that in a good way) and i liked it. I like the voice of this piece too. 5/5 stars definitely ^-^

MyFriendFate replied...
Yeah :D Thank you. It was sort of a spark- of- the- moment thing, and it was kind of creepy on purpose. Thanks for the comment :D

MyFriendFate said...
Horray! No more 'pending approval!' And I think this one turned out very nicely, don't you?