The Park (The Observer, part I) | Teen Ink

The Park (The Observer, part I)

By Bishop_of_Kender SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska
Bishop_of_Kender SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska

\"In today\'s society we sometimes forget to balance our hearts and our heads; this is the reason we stop laughing.\"

I sit and watch all these people run through here with their meaningless errands and tasks. They all want the same thing and are certain that they are the only ones who know how to get it. But none of them know what they actually desire, the older ones want their youth back, the younger ones want to be older, and the ones in the middle wish they knew where they fit in to the big picture. Those ones are the closest to finding out what they truly want. How do I know all this, you ask? Well, through observation, of course. Sit a while and I’ll tell you how I used this simple skill to learn about life and why it exists.

I sit on a bench in Central Park for at least an hour every day. When I do this, I don’t read a book or do a crossword or anything like that, I just see. Not in the way most people see, for I am not just looking, I am seeing everything as if I had never seen anything like it before. For instance, just the other day, I saw a man propose to a young woman. He did it very well, too. He brought her to a cherry blossom tree in full bloom, then, he reminded her that he had first asked her out under those fragrant, colorful blossoms exactly two years ago. I could tell she was expecting something, but couldn’t tell what he was about to do. He told her that he loved her and wanted to love her forever as he got down on one knee and brought up a little, black velvet box with a diamond ring in it. She gasped and was speechless for a moment, then she pulled him up and gave him the most passionate kiss I had ever seen. I know that, where ever they are now, they are happy just to be with one another. Now do you see what I mean? No, I can’t tell what it means, you need to come to your own conclusions.

Well, maybe this story will help you. There was a man who always walked through the park at the same time every day, always going the same direction, always on the verge of running and always, always frowning. One day, he was about ten minutes later than usual, and as he walked past me, he asked me for the time. I told him, and he almost cried in frustration. He sat down next to me, cursing and berating himself for being late. I asked him what was bothering him, and he told me that he was one of two with perfect on time record for his office. But now that he was late, there was no point in going to work today, as his co-worker was sure to mock him mercilessly all day long for being late. I had finally found out why he was in a rush every day. I asked him if he liked working there. He just stared at me as I was insane. When he answered me, he said, “Of course I like working at my office!” For some reason, I didn’t believe him, and I told him so. I told him to really think about what he loves to do, and to see if that is what he does at the office. He looked contemplative for a few minutes, then said, “No, I’m not happy with my work, but it’s all I know, how can I possibly do something different?” I asked him what he wanted to do, and replied that he would like to be a set designer for a small theater company. I told him, “If that’s what you really want to do, then, you will find that the world will conspire to help you achieve that dream. If you set your entire being on getting that dream, then nothing will stop you.” He thought about this for a few moments, then got up, saying, “Thanks for the advice; I do believe that I will go get my dream.” About a year later, I found him waiting for me on my regular bench, with a huge grin on his face. He stood up as I approached and shook my hand. I asked him how his venture into theater design had gone. He said that he was not only a set designer, but also the owner of a new theater downtown, and his first show opened last night. He then said that he would love to stay and chat, but he had family in town, and excused himself.

I hope these stories have enlightened you at least somewhat. I know that they helped me. If you ever want more advice for life, I will be here, don’t be afraid to call on me. My name? I don’t think you need to know that quite yet, maybe if you learn more about yourself, I will tell you more about me.

writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

A stroke of pure genius!! I really like this piece! It's mysterious in a positive way, and it's also very helpful in explaining the simple phenomenon of why do the things we don't want to and what it means to help someone stop themselves from ruining their lives because of fear.