Anywhere But Here | Teen Ink

Anywhere But Here

By jlw11 SILVER, Fayette, Alabama
jlw11 SILVER, Fayette, Alabama

"The only things in life you regret, are the risks that you never take."

As mind slowly races down the endless highway of thoughts, I think to myself, Where am I? How long have I been here? This place of self-denial and hate. Hate? Has it really came to that? I knew I didn't like it here, but do I hate it? Possibly so. I turn and notice Reality and Fantasy dancing on a fine line beside me. Even though they aren't making any noise, my head is filled with the loud hammering the two are making. I just want it all to end. The doctor told me that once I started taking the medicine, everything would be okay. It's not. It's anything but. The medicine only softens it. He said that if it didn't help, I would have to go away for awhile, so I tell no one that it doesn't work. My life has become so hectic. When did it start? When I gave up my soul because the loss was too great to deal with. Do I think I'm too good to deal with it like all the others? No. I just know that I am not strong enough to. My mom tries so hard to get me out of the house. But I can't. Every little thing I see reminds me. Am I exagerating? Absolutely not. I do mean everything. That's because he had a way of dealing with everything. There was a reason for everything in existance. He taught me how to see the beauty in everything. He saw the beauty in me. How? I don't know, but he did. Who would have ever thought that I would be in love? Not me, that's for sure. But I was.
Was. Past tense. Everytime I think about what happened, I lose myself. My closet. That's wear my refuge is. Sit, and calm down. I have to tell myself this over and over or else I will begin shaking and I'll go too deep. Where's it at? I always begin to freak out when I can't find it. Ah, there it is. Grasp it. Do the deed. Ah. Now I'm better. The sting, the burn, I love it. I can breathe now, I'm still alive. But he's still dead, I whisper in my head. Another slash. More stinging and burning. The crimson line flows down my arm. Just another five minutes in the life of a depressed and abandoned teenager.