The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

fictionlover10 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So good! Keep writing, because your pieces are great!

xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 11:04 pm:

I love this!

Please check out my stuff

SoccerRuby said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 10:52 pm:
This is so cute!!!! And so clever!! True story?

VanillaTwilight said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm:
Awww! This is ah-door-ah-ble!!!!! I love it!

lovelauren3 said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 6:45 pm:
Such a creative idea. True story? If not...it's still good.

Tarena R. said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm:
i love this story its so sweet my fav colors in the story is red cause my fav clr n blue cause this guy i really like gave me aa blue doggie

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm:
cute and charming!  Nice job.

MusicIsLife013 said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 11:21 am:
aws, this is so cute!!!

DHgirl said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 11:48 pm:
lov it girl. u n mark sound happy! yaaay 4 u!

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 4:34 pm:
Oh my goodness this is soo adorable! I loved the simplicity of the writing and the tone went perfectly with the idea of a "first love". The only critisim I might have is that with such a strong story I would have liked a stronger ending- I felt like you were just trying to finish it but the ending is one of the most important parts of a story ! :) Either way it was overall a very charming story and I hope you keep writing- you have a gift!
~Sofia~

mandygale77 said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 11:44 am:
That was so sweet! The ending probably could have been reworded a little, but I love the idea, and the whole rest of the thing was amazing. Great job!

star_struck_93 said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:52 am:
This is so great! I love this!

ThunderLovestheRain said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:37 am:
That was so sweet!

JohnyDeppLover123 said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 8:34 pm:
OMG that was just too cute...I loved that so much...wow that was really good keep up the good work because your really good at it!!! For Sure!!! Again just too cute (in a good way!) lol... : ]

cookiemonstercutie said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 7:11 pm:
ohmigosh! thats adorhabel! i love it! great job

coco_babe said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 6:27 pm:
naww that was so cute :)

Sara! said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 6:10 pm:
This is really beautiful! Wow!

SarahRox said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 3:24 pm:
I love it! It is so sweet! *tear*

twiwrite said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm:
this was beautiful.

amber96_ said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:26 pm:
actually beautiful :-)