Six Uneven Stairs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

They are the only ones that trip me. I am the only one who cleans them. Six uneven stairs with uneven boards and splintering sides. Six that are out of place but fit in. Six stairs worn smooth by years of treading shoes. From the window I can see them, but my mother says to stop staring.

Their memories are long. They have felt three generations of feet walking over them. They stay put and go far and watch noiselessly with their inconspicuous staring and silent laughter. This is how they live.

If one cracked under pressure, the others would surely bend like fingers on a piano, each following the last. Live, live, live, stairs whisper as I pass over. They love.

When I am too alone and too uneven to keep living, when I am a drop of salt in the ocean, then I walk over the stairs. When there is nowhere else to walk on the lane. Six that stay in spite of the rain. Six that are above and remain above. For their only purpose is to see and see.

ElkieLionThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 10:20 am:
Brilliant :)

Krikette This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm:
I really, really like this. The simplicity yet depth is wonderful. I read it a couple times, and my appreciation for it only grew. Well done!

Krikette This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm :

Favorite line :)

"If one cracked under pressure, the others would surely bend like fingers on a piano, each following the last."

ritabelle511 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm:
I absolutely loved this piece - fantastic job! Beautifully written.

Neautique132 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:50 am:
This is so poetic, such an intimate piece. I love it!

remembermeplzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm:
awhmahzing!

LeannLOVESya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful in the best sense. :) You have a simplistic loveliness to your style of writing.... I adore it! It is very deep as well, keep writing.    P.S.- I'm jealous. And I love when you say that your mom says to quit staring. It gave me absolute chills.

amberglow13 said...
Have you read "The House on Mango Street"? Because this seems like a ripoff of the chapter about the four skinny trees.

Loversinjapan said...
Very nice. It kind of has multiple meanings. Like you want the readers to finish the writing. Great job.

kielymarie said...
Beautiful.

inspir3dThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 1:17 pm:

hey have you ever read House on Mango Street? because this seems like a very similar spin off of Esperanza's narration @ the four trees. especially the last line--almost identical.

but this is beautiful to read!! keep writing!

aslanrox430 said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm:
Wow. That was... wow. amazing, really good and... wow

a.m.f said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 2:40 pm:

Wow! I like this! It's amazing.  Keep on writing.  If you have time, please check out my story, Scratching Stones.

horse95lover said...
May 24, 2010 at 5:42 pm:
this is awesome! you have real talent - write more please!!!

irrara12 said...
May 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm:
this is amazing

heart of spirit said...
May 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm:
m at loss for words. it was just so........ meaningful i guess is the word.

Dee123 said...
May 4, 2010 at 9:48 am:
I am not sure i understand this but it was very intreisting

CatCave said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 6:33 pm:
Very beautiful.

TheseBrownEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 4:33 pm:
this is certainly amazing! very good! Congrats on getting into the mag.

beautiful*downfall said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm:
That last line...made me think there was more to this than meets the eye. Like poetry, it has meanings hidden to the rest of the world. Or... maybe it's just about stairs :p