Hidden Blue This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He steps into the classroom with his head down, almost ashamed to be here. He walks quickly to the back to an old chemical-stained desk, but his effort doesn’t work. The jocks notice him and begin to pull puns. His head lowers with each throbbing word.

He is the smartest guy in the school and is often used as a model student in class. Each time he is mentioned, classmates turn and stare while his head lowers to its limit. He barely looks up, only to take notes from the chalk-caked board.

He looks at me and I smile. He turns his head, lowering it again, and begins to write. I wonder if it hurts him more than it hurts me. People smile and act kind, but they make fun of him. People smile at me, but I shrug it off.

I’m an outcast among the girls. I’m not a shopper or a rich girl who flaunts dim-witted talent. I sit by myself, and I’m the subject of gossip and cruelty, but I’m not as smart as him. I can’t say that I feel sorry for him for being mocked because he’s the smartest guy around. I feel sorry for the others who don’t notice his traits. He is smarter than everyone here, and he is kinder. I think his best trait is his hidden blue eyes.

His deep blue eyes are darker than the sea, and Poseidon could never possess them. No other person in the school has eyes like his. They’re always covered by his thick black hair which drifts down to his neck. I notice them every day and they haven’t ceased to enthrall me.

Class ends and he quickly leaves, his normal routine to avoid confrontation. I smile at him every day; I wonder if he notices.

Another day, another class, and with it come more words. He steps into the room with his head high. He walks slowly to the back and sits next to me. Everyone glares at his unusual behavior and takes off in conversation and gossip. I can’t help but smile as he stares at me during class.

Class ends, and gossip stirs. He stands as I stand, and I look at him with a smile. He smiles in return, which makes his eyes gleam. He leans over and whispers, “You have gorgeous green eyes.”

FearlessAngelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:09 am:
I couldn't help but grin at that last paragraph! Ahhh! Please, please, please, continue this! Haha, I really like your writing. It's inclusive.

writer3499This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 18, 2012 at 7:46 am:
I LOVE THIS! It is deffinetly one of my favourites! I wasn't expecdting the ending at all. fantastic!!! I dont even know what to say, thats how great it is!

Dancing2222This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:10 am:
Great Story! I would love to see what happens next...great ending too!

laurensoccer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm:
This piece is really great!!!! keep writing!!!!

LifesIllusion said...
I love this piece. it's so lighthearted and cute. Congrats on making it in the magazine. Check out my work? Thanks!

xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x said...
Feb. 26, 2010 at 3:53 pm:
Wow. That was really good. I'm so glad to see it went into the magazine. You really deserved it. Flawless article!

M&M4ever said...
Aug. 24, 2009 at 12:23 am:
love your writing style, this was AMAZING!!! :D

lightbearer said...
i really like your style. very real. it defintly made its mark. i love it and can't wait to read more things by you. you are a true inspiration! even to us guys.

Shadow_Kissed said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 4:57 am:
wow. That was so awesome! I wish it was longer, but what you wrote in just a few paragraphs was absolutely amazing! At the end, I couldnt help but "awwww". I LOVED it! Great job!

Sarah M. said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:29 am:
This is amazing. If you don't want to be a writer when you grow up, I'm disappointed.
So sweet, so cute!!!! ^ ^ so true, so real. I absolutely love it.

Samantha G. said...
Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:27 pm:
well, i think it was pretty good. i think that u could've not hurried it so much, and maybe take a little time to describe the attraction the girl felt with a little more...passion? more profoundly? (maybe? is that the right word?)there was room for more metaphores/similes, but overall a good piece. Good job :)

Erin P. said...
Jul. 20, 2009 at 3:49 pm:
This is a great short story. i think we all wish something like this would happen to us sometime. you described it perfectly.

sarah.is.nameless said...
Jul. 20, 2009 at 7:18 am:
I absolutely loved this =) Especially the part at the end. I wish there was more to it but you did an amazing job capturing the emotion in the short space you used. Good job!

Voice said...
Jul. 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm:
I feel so girly (I'm sorta like the girl in the stroy only people consider me smart and preppy). I've been watching Eargon vids and I can't help but imagine the boy as Murtagh with blue eyes. I was drooling at the thought. I don't drool easy.

Melinda L. said...
Mar. 25, 2009 at 1:38 am:
I loved the part about his eyes being so dark, how you described it. It was a great story. Keep it up!

Melinda :P

Zero_Kun said...
Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:18 am:
Oh my gosh! This is so cute! It's like a geeky fairytale!

st3Phy said...
Feb. 6, 2009 at 3:41 am:
Jeez that was amazing! i loved it xD it had the right spice and just sweet enough to send my heart flying. The end was amazing too. It was just right. I caught my breath when i finished bcuz i hadnt noticed i was holing it in the first place.
I totally loved it

lindita said...
Dec. 10, 2008 at 12:49 am:
woow. i love your story. its soo sweet.

StarlingChild said...
Nov. 28, 2008 at 5:01 am:
This was a very beautiful story, and has the type of romance I actually enjoy reading. I prefer romance that is only lightly used so that it is sweeter and more delicious to drink in. Your writing is pretty and soft; just right for a short story. Good job!

mallygirl91 said...
absolutly amazing.i stopped breathing and didnt even notice thats how good it was!