The Rush- Chapter Three Conclusion

Then I thought onto what I said the now indisputable truth. My only guardian was probably never going to forgive what I had done even if PopPop would leave in no more than two weeks. It would be like two weeks in hell for her. PopPop never really brought all that trial s*** up anymore, but it was always there when the two of them were in the same room. Just like how miserable Clifford and Seth were at home even though they were always euphoric around us. Whenever Seth came to us in the morning with a black eye or a fresh sprain, it was like he brought another person. No one had to bring it up, but everyone was thinking about it. Mom and PopPop were just like that. I didn’t even know who’s side to take. If my Mom was better at forgiving and forgetting, maybe it wouldn’t be as awkward and PopPop would be around more. But, then again, if PopPop hadn’t accused her of killer her own husband and brought her to court, there would be nothing to forgive and forget.

When I got home, everyone was on the landing at the top of the stairs playing with their endless collection of legos. I used to like them when I was a little kid, but I had since grown out of them. Jimmy, Lucas, and my forty year-old mother had yet to do so, if ever.

I went upstairs to get ready for bed and noticed Mom had the phone sitting next to her leg. I wondered if she had been making arrangements with PopPop.

“Hey Ma,” I greeted with a smile.

She was fixated on ‘The Simpsons’ lego model she and “the boys” had been working on. Notice how I put quotes when I say the boys are “working” on this project. All she did was give a small, absent-minded wave without words or looking up.

Little things like that used to ruin my day if I had come home in a good mood, but not really anymore. It would brighten my day significantly to get more than that. It was expected and prepared for.

But I was actually curious this time. I didn’t like bringing up PopPop with her, but I wanted to stay posted with this. “Have the, uh.....plans been made with PopPop?”

This made her look up, but the boys till didn’t. “Uh....he’s coming tomorrow afternoon. He’s packing quickly.” She looked back down and refocused on a more pleasant and preferred subject.

“Oh, ok,” I said things like that mostly for myself.

I walked into my room and flipped the lights. My room right now was untidy, but not unclean. Not as bad as it could be, so I would go to sleep soundly. If there were too many clothes strewn across my vanity chair, my couch, my bed, or if my desk was flooded with random papers like I was an accountant, I would have to straighten up at least a little before I went to bed or else I wouldn’t sleep. Maybe I had obsessive-compulsive. Oh well, the blanket I had tucked into the cushions of my couch was all wrinkled and the pillows were out of order. My desk had a pile or two of paper, but nothing to get into. Everything else was fine. So, I just grabbed my much-abused yellow submarine Beatles T-Shirt with my pajama shorts and went to change in the bathroom.

I decided after brushing my teeth that I would just go ahead and shower. It would make me sleep better, plus I had been a lot of places. I was really tired from walking all the way to Shaw’s and back, playing a lot of tennis, bartering with my mom in the car about her parenting, taking the long drive to PopPop’s, and taking in all of this new stuff. PopPop would be coming tomorrow as well as the video of Joan drinking p*** that one of us would have to pick up from Rita. I knew we would argue over who would have to move their butt and walk down the road to Shaw’s at the end of the day. Plus, Rita would probably want it back to show the staff and have fun with. And, if we ever run out of thing to do, Wes was always carrying a deck of cards ready for poker, go fish, scat, or rummy. We still had to play off the poker tournament......

I ran my brush through my hair without staying awake long enough to put in the anti-frizz serum. I didn’t really care at the time. My eyelids were too heavy and I wrestled every second I had to stay standing.

I dropped myself into bed and turned off the light without reading a least a little. This wasn’t what I was used to, but I wasn’t used to days like the one I just had that would carry themselves so far out into tomorrow. Or maybe I was.

AlexieG.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:38 am:
Soo good! I'm really connecting with Mav now, I feel so bad for her because having an oblivious and ignorant parent really can affect a kid. Mav is really mature and strong, I like that a lot about her. I can't wait to learn everyone else's story. Great job again! Really liking it!

deus-ex-machina14 replied...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:32 am :
I tried to make her really relatable as the leading girl of the story. Thanks again!

JRsingersongwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
hey what's the word limit??

anneliese S. replied...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 8:56 pm :
I think it's like 200,000 characters per article, so I have to split the chapters in two:(