When She was Young | Teen Ink

When She was Young

By RosyOptimism DIAMOND, Coronado, California
RosyOptimism DIAMOND, Coronado, California

Wearing that ring of green leaves as a crown made her look like a princess…the princess of nature. It is so quiet in these breathtakingly beautiful woods. The trees like skyscrapers towering above; seeing far above the young girl. Noon is a special hour of the day, when the sun is breaking though the branches and its glorious yellow warm rays shine upon that face of an angel. The memory plays back in short quick clips. Her laughter echoing and the sound bouncing all around that magical forest. Twirling and skipping through the forest. She is one with nature when she wears that ring upon her head. Her light golden brown hair gently waving down her delicate frame, stopping just above her belly button. She prances around with her light summery white dress trailing after her, as if the two were playing tag.

Those days are over now. The dress caked with crusty mud from being dragged across the forest ground. The gorgeous long light brown hair is cut; now just reaching to her shoulders. The only thing left from the memory, is the ring of leaves she wore upon her head. Maybe one day to be given to her daughter so that she too feels at one with nature. But she will have to stretch her imagination for these magical trees have been murdered, now being used for paper. What a tragic thing, for those majestic evergreens to be turned into flimsy white paper. The forest has been replaced with business buildings filled with boring men and women whose children will never experience what my daughter did on those summer days.