Excerpt from a book my friend and I are writing, "Heart of Light" | Teen Ink

Excerpt from a book my friend and I are writing, "Heart of Light"

By Jay_N BRONZE, Aguadilla, Other
Jay_N BRONZE, Aguadilla, Other

From Chapter 1: Best Day

“They called themselves the Umbra’s. Their abilities, and intentions, where nothing like the Light Seekers’. They were evil and had nothing but pure darkness in their hearts—while the Light Seekers had pure light and kindness in theirs… Ever since then the sole duty of the Light Seekers was to protect mankind from evil, especially from the Umbra’s…”

I drifted into peaceful unconsciousness…

Back to the present.

“Yes, I remember the story, Daddy. It was my favorite one of all.”

It truly was my favorite story. I had always wished I was a Light Seeker. They seemed so magical and heroic to me. I wanted to be like them; protecting mankind and having cool powers. Who wouldn’t?

“Well…” my Mother spoke, her voice startled me for a moment; she hadn’t spoken since she came through the door.

There was a long pause.

“It’s all true, honey,”

What? How—

“All of it.”

“What do you mean ‘It’s all true’?” I asked, very confused.

“I mean that it’s all true, Sunny. Those stories are all true—the Light Seekers, the war, the…Umbra’s.”

“But, how can it be true, Mommy? I thought it was all make-believe…” I started to feel a lump in my throat. This was too much.

Julie remained silent.

“How?” I demanded again. My mother was looking down at her lap, she seemed nervous.

“It just is, Sunny.” Luxious answered, not giving much reason why it was true. “But, that’s not all. We didn’t just come to tell you those stories were true.” His face changed to a thoughtful one.

Another long pause.

“We came to tell you that we’re Light Seekers—including you, too, Sunny.”
My eyes popped wide open.

Is Luxious, my own Father, playing tricks on me?

“Really, Mom and Dad?”

“Yes,” they both said in unison while smiling half-heartedly.

“So is that why I love light and stuff so much?”

“Yes, yes it is, Sunny,” Julie said, a thoughtful expression on her face.“So does that mean I have powers?” I asked, a little bit too excited.
But, I wondered. What if I did have powers? How cool would that be? Adrenaline was rushing through my veins—my eyes wide open and fists clenched tightly—as I waited for their answer.
“Yes,” Luxious said “—and no.”
What?
“What do you mean yes and no?” I was pouting.
“He means yes, because you can have powers, but no because you’re still a little too young to bring them out, sweetie,” Julie told me “It will take you until your tenth birthday until you can really begin to harness it.”
“Then, why did you tell me now?”
“Because we start training tomorrow,” Luxious answered, a big smile on his face. “We we don’t have to wait until your tenth birthday to begin training. In a few days, you’ll be able to do this.”
He placed his hand in front of me, palms facing up, fingers formed into a cup. Little specks of white light began to form in the middle of his palm. More and more gathered until a small, luminous sphere was now in the center of my father’s hand. The white orb was so bright, I could barely keep my eyes on it— I had to look away for a moment. The room was brighter than it was the first time I saw it, the time the sunlight was shining though its wide windows. The room was now a brilliant, almost blinding white. It was incredible. I was in awe.
Then I saw Julie doing the same thing; her hand extended out, palm up, and a bright orb forming in her palm.
How could I have not known they could do that?
“Wow! I can’t believe this! This is so cool!” I blasted out, my eyes wide and focused on the orbs of light in the palms of my parents’ hands “I want to learn how to do that now, Daddy!” I broke out into laughter, out of so much excitement.
“We’ll start tomorrow.” Dad told me. Julie and he seemed to be happy I was excited about all of this.
“Good night, Sunny,” Luxious and Julie said as they tucked me in, “Get some rest. Sleep well.” They both kissed me and went out the door.
This was the best day ever.
New house. Great room. Discovering you’re a Light Seeker.
I couldn’t wait until tomorrow.
I closed my eyes and floated away into my dreams, letting my consciousness drift for a while…

Its part of an AP English project, this is just a part of the first chapter.

Jay_N BRONZE said...
on Mar. 27 2012 at 2:49 pm
Jay_N BRONZE, Aguadilla, Other
Thank you! I haven't been on Teenink in a while! I reread my excerpt and found so many errors! However, since then, I have been working on another story/possible novel. Completely different genre than this one! 

on Sep. 16 2010 at 2:19 am
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

Unique and captivating!

Jay_N BRONZE said...
on Sep. 9 2010 at 12:11 pm
Jay_N BRONZE, Aguadilla, Other
Oh, and I do agree on the whjole good-versus-evil things. But I'm planning on adding some enexpected twists to the Umbra's :3

Jay_N BRONZE said...
on Sep. 9 2010 at 12:09 pm
Jay_N BRONZE, Aguadilla, Other

Hehe thanks. And yes, I do need to go more in-depth >_<

Oh, and later on there are some pretty intense battles involving Sunny and her romantic interest—who isn't entirly human. :)

on Sep. 5 2010 at 8:45 am
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

This is pretty cool :)  The Light Seeker thing was pretty original, even though the whole good-versus-evil storyline is pretty worn.  I liked how you kept most of the history between the Light Seekers and the Umbra's a secret for this part, but I think when the little one is in training you should go into a little more depth.  Can't wait to here about this little Light Seeker's battles :)

Jay_N BRONZE said...
on Jul. 5 2010 at 3:41 pm
Jay_N BRONZE, Aguadilla, Other

I wrote this chapter.

And thanks.

Babie PLATINUM said...
on Jul. 4 2010 at 3:51 am
Babie PLATINUM, Modesto, California

"I Hate Kid's I have to many realitives.....ahhhhh!"

I liked it so your friend and you made it.