Everything unpredictable | Teen Ink

Everything unpredictable

May 4, 2010
By InnerTurmoil BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
InnerTurmoil BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead -Benjamin Franklin


I looked both ways and stepped out into the street, shivering, and sprinted across. At the other side, I turned a corner and followed the sound of the high pitched, girly screaming. It was coming from a dark alleyway, and it sounded vaguely familiar. Crap, I thought. If I know them, then they will probably know me, and that can't end well, since I have no friends, and cannot trust anybody. Great. Excellent. Wonderful. Go figure. This night can't get any worse. I sighed and snuck to the wall, hiding in the shadows, and went around the corner silently. There were four guys, each at least 6'5" and built like a quarter back. They were surrounding a girl, and two of the guys had her arms pinned to the wall behind her, while the other two kept jabbing knives into her stomach. I narrowed my eyes and walked up silently behind the two with the knives, pulling two daggers from my stiletto boots, and hit them both in the head with the hilts. They fell to the ground, knocked out cold, and the other two whirled around, their prey forgotten. The girl had stopped screaming, and when I shot a glance at her, she was looking at me oddly, like she was figuring something out. Her hair was covering most of her face, but it looked oddly, unfortunately familiar. I looked away from her in time to see the two guys lunge at me at the same time. I jumped up in the air, high up, and landed a few feet from where they collided. They fell to the ground, one of them unconscious, and the other staring up at me with fear in his eyes. I looked down at him and smiled grimly.

"For football players, y'all are whimps," I said, then kicked him in the temple with the toe of my boot. I then looked back at the girl, who was still standing against the wall. She pushed her hair out of her face, and I took off the hood and sunglasses I had had on since I left my house earlier tonight. I would recognize that stupid puff of blond hair with a green streak the color of snot anywhere. I took a step back, and she gasped. I spoke too soon. This night just got worse. Figures, it was Leyla Dunshon, my worst enemy. Seriously. Since second grade, we have been enemies, her hating me, me hating her. Figures I would choose this night to do something good and save a person. Sigh.

"Meredith?" Yup. Unfortunately, she recognized me, too. Just what I needed. Now she would make fun of me for pretending to be a super hero, or something. I looked into her eyes and nodded shortly. "Um.. th-thanks for, uh, saving me, I guess." My eyes popped in surprise, and she repeated herself. "Thanks for saving me. They said they were going to kill me." I nodded, still in shock that she was talking to me, let alone saying things to me that weren't insults.

"So what are you doing in a dark alley at night with four drunk football players?" I asked. Her eyes widened again, and her mouth fell open.

"They were drunk?" She really isn't the brightest light bulb in the world. That's for sure.

"Nah, they were just making death threats at you 'cause they had nothin' better to do," I said, my voice dripping sarcasm. Honestly. I mean, really? Really? I put my hood back up and my sunglasses on as she rolled her eyes. "Let's go." She looked at me and cocked her head to one side. I sighed, and grabbed her arm, walking to the exit of the alleyway. I could not believe I was doing this. I am an assassin, a hired gun, so to speak, not a freaken' nanny. She followed me obediently (she had a bunch of surprises up her sleeves tonight) as I walked out to the sidewalk. I stopped and looked back at the guys in the alley. They were all still out cold, but they wouldn't stay that way forever (unfortunately) so I help up a hand to signal Leyla to stop, then went back in the alley and heaved one of them over my shoulder. I took him and deposited him in a dumpster, then did the same for the other three. They could get out on their own. I walked back to Leyla and took hold of her arm and headed for my car four blocks away, leading her there.

"What the crap are you doing?" she exclaimed.
I sighed yet again and muttered, "I cannot believe I am doing this, but I am making sure no other freaks jump out at you so I don't have my work ruined." So not only was I an assassin now, I also had to play nanny tonight. Great. Now this night couldn't get any worse. Of course, I was wrong. Again.