Yours Truly | Teen Ink

Yours Truly

By Angel_writer1481 SILVER, Springdale, Maryland
Angel_writer1481 SILVER, Springdale, Maryland

Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out of it alive.

Dear Mel Castle,

I want you to know. I really want you to know something. I love you. I honestly think I do. It’s your music, it speaks to me and you do, too. More than anyone I know. I used to like this guy last year and I mean liked. I’m not sure why I’m telling you this but you should know this. He’s scum. We flirted that whole year and I thought he really liked me but then he just graduated without word. No ‘I’ll always love you, Lara,’ No ‘I’ll miss you, Lara.’ Nothing. I’m actually glad he left. I figured if he stayed I would’ve seen the real him and despise him for it. Truthfully, he wasn’t a good guy. Enough about him, let me talk about you, I like you. I’ve begun to trust you. I wonder what is it about you that can make me feel that much better about myself. It’s just you and I like it. I remember when I started really liking you. It was when you started sitting next to me in guitar class. Your guitar kept brushing against me and I have the feeling that you’ve been doing that on purpose. You’ve been stealing glances at me ever since. You know what, I’m not even sure you like me too. I think that you may like me, too but I may be imagining it. If you don’t like me, just pretend you don’t know me. Goodness gracious, before I regret it, I’ll put this letter in locker 247, your locker. Don’t blame me. You’ve made me like you . You’re the one with the great smile even with braces. You make me laugh ‘til my stomach hurts and you’re the best musician I know. I just thought you should know.
Yours truly,
Lara Sean

* * *
Lara,
I like you, too. Would you like to go out with me Saturday? My dad’s throwing this concert in the park and I think it’d be cool if you came. So, will you?
Mel Castle

P.S. I really like you. Really Really like you. I’m relieved you like me, too. By the way, I’m glad that scumbag graduated, if he even graduated.

* * *
Mel,
Yes, I’ll go with you. No, I don’t think he graduated.
Lara

* * *
Lara,
I knew it. I’ll pick you up at 6.
Mel

* * *
Mel,
OK, 6 sounds great. Can’t wait.
Yours truly,
Lara Sean

* * *
I came to pick you up for the concert but your mom said you already left to go yourself but when I went you weren’t there. What’s going on?
Mel Castle

* * *
I’ve called you like 6 times and it keeps going to your voicemail. What gives?
Mel

* * *
I talked to your friend, Megan, yesterday. She says that guy you liked definitely graduated. He ended up going to Penn State and he’s home for Spring Break. He’s a model student and looks like he’s never been near scum. What are you doing, Lara? What fraction of what you told me was the truth? Huh?
Mel

* * *

All of it was the truth, I swear. I loved him. Now I am so in love with you. What more do you want?
Lara Sean

* * *

I want you to tell me something. Your mom says you haven’t been home in a week. I’m really worried about you. Where are you, Lara. Tell me, and please, if you give me some variation of ‘I can’t tell you’ or worse, that you’re with him . . . I just don’t think I could take it. Please Lara. I just want to know you’re okay.
Mel

* * *

I’m fine. I really can’t tell you where I am. I am so sorry, Mel. I didn’t mean for this to happen. And you don’t have to worry, I’m not with him. He’s more trouble than he’s worth. It’s all his fault.
Lara

* * *

Wait, what do you mean his fault? WHAT’S GOING ON! Tell me the truth, please. Where did you go Lara. I miss you.
Mel

* * *

I am so sorry. Why did it have to be so hard and now I can’t stop myself from crying. I wish I could tell you everything. And one day I will, I promise. You’re just going to have to trust me. This is going to be the last note I put in your locker. Don’t reply. I won’t be here. Please remember how sorry I am and how much I love you.
Yours Truly,
Lara Sean

* * *

Six months later

Dear Lara Sean,

I want you to know. I really want you to know something. I love you. I honestly think I do. It got bad when you left. Your mom wouldn’t leave me alone. I prayed that maybe you’d showed up and ask me if we were every going to make it to that concert. I still had hope but that was until they found your body. I refused to let your mom go identify your body, so I had to. Just what went on six months ago and why did the police find 20 million dollars worth of rare diamonds and enough ammunition to fill the Sears Tower. Okay, that’s a little exaggerated by not so far off. What went on and why couldn’t you tell me. Why did most of our relationship consist of notes in lockers. What was the deal with that guy you liked and why did he skip town. You left me a lot of unanswered questions, Lara, and because of you I can’t rest until I answer them. Looks like I’ll be doing this myself. Don’t worry, you’re just going to have to trust me. It’s not like you have a choice. I’ll always love you, Lara.
Yours Truly,
Mel Castle