Independance Day

*Editor's Note*
The following is an autobiographical piece written from the perspective of one Fernando Duffin in 2013, yet another work collected from the Hostile Period it gives us good insight into the day-to-day lives of average persons.

Chapter 17: Independence Day
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

The sun in the sky arose in a milky shade of pink, shadows like dew hustled upon they're way by it's warm glow. Young men and women awoke from their beds and went hither and thither along their ways. Gentlemen stirred from their beds, hustled along by their wives ready and able to meet the day.
The wind blew through the long grasses, whispering contentment.
Fernando Duffin gave his tie one solid yank with a smile. He longed for himself in the mirror. His hair was so clean and shiny. His eyes a beautiful blue.
He waltzed to the kitchen and gave Janet a kiss.
"I want pancakes, Janet." He smiled.
"I'm not your drudge. Make them yourself."
"You just made a mess of pancakes! I want them." He said, pointing in exasperation at the pile of doughy elations next to where Janet was seated.
He took a seat next to her and then seized the plate.
"Those are mine." She smiled, leaning over to kiss him.
"No, I want them, they're mine." Fernando explained. "Go make your own! I don't have to donate to you."
"I can use Mike! Is that what you want?" She defended.
Mike was Janet's other husband, he was a tall man built like a bull, he frequented steroids and when he came over Fernando was hesitant to speak for what he wanted for fear of violent retribution.
"Of course! Use Mike! Me! Janet, it's just like you to start a fight. Here! Have a pancake!" He threw one of the pancakes at her.
It met her face with a smack.
"Don't you dare!" She screamed and pointed her finger directly in his face. "How dare you share with me! I want them all! They're all my pancakes! MINE."
He slammed his fist on the table and rose to his feet, he ran his fingers through his hair and fixed his tie once more. Took a deep breath. "Me! Janet, I don't have to deal with this. Why don't you ever think about me? My import? My wants?"
"I'm obviously more important." She responded.
"Me, I just can't stand this. I'm going out." He turned and was beginning to stride away when he heard Janet's weak voice from behind him. It sounded as though she were crying.
She ran over to Fernando and threw her arms around him, holding him tight. "I love me." She whimpered.
"It's okay," he said, brushing her hair over her ear and smiling down at her. He kissed her forehead and smiled. "I love me, too."
"I wouldn't have it any other way." Janet smiled.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

jessi said...
thats pretty good :) like the concept. nice work! it was cool how you put the note up top about how this was from an autobiography from 2013.