The Big Question This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I clasped my moist hands and tapped my feet as I anxiously waited for the stranger that would determine my future. The think, soft carpeting absorbed the click of the heels of my good shoes. My breath was reaching my lips faster than usual. My mouth was as dry as a desert wind. The butterflies were banging back and forth against the walls of my stomach, causing it to tighten and cramp.

A woman came over and told me that my meeting would be a little late. I looked at my watch and sighed. My "meeting" was supposed to have begun ten minutes ago, just a little late. This left more time for me to chicken out. My self-confidence was slowly dwindling, as it always does at this stage of the game. My dream of becoming one of the best lawyers all depended on how this person, whom I have never met before, liked me or not on this particular afternoon. His fish may have died this morning; he may have spilled coffee on his new suit today; today may not be his day.

Should I stay and risk heartbreak or should I leave and never be aware of what may have happened this afternoon? The ball was in my court, but then again, hadn't it always been?

"Excuse me? Miss? Mr. Leary can see you now," said the secretary.

I stood up and wiped my sweaty palms on my skirt. That large oak door seemed so far away. I finally reached the door, after what seemed to be a very long walk. I knocked quietly, as if a fire- breathing dragon was going to answer. Instead, in a soft voice, a man replied, "Come in."

I entered the room and saw the back of a chair facing me. The chair was looking out a huge picture window that displayed the sprawling green campus. All of a sudden, the chair turned around and a tall, fair skinned man stood up and said, "Hello. My name is Joseph Leary and I am the Director of Admissions here at Randolph University."

I sighed with relief and took a deep breath. It was then when I realized that I had won the battle.

"So, what first attracted you to Randolph?" n

mmfdg623 said...
Apr. 29, 2009 at 12:14 am
Your story is really good. It kind of sounds how I would feel if I were in this person's shoes. If you have time, maybe you can check out my story: Gone.