Hidden Messages | Teen Ink

Hidden Messages

All that was heard was a scream, and bang, and a thud. Those were all the clues that the witnesses in the New York City apartment building could give. Alice was at the end of a cold damp alleyway, in a puddle of her own blood mixed with rainwater on this cold February, 2017 day. The residents of the apartment came out and called the police. The first residents to see the body were Jessica and Chris. Jessica and Chris were married and both 30 years old. When they came downstairs and saw the body Jessica shrieked, “I think it’s a dead body! It is a dead body! Chris call the police, I think I’m going to be sick.” Chris called the police describing frantically the scene, ”There is a dead body…blood all over… 28th avenue and 5th street.” Police Officer Joey told him, “Calm down and wait for Police Chief John and I to get there, he will ask you some questions.” With that they exchanged goodbyes and hung up.

Police Chief John asked them some basic questions. While searching the body he found the letter L engraved into her hand. “We didn’t see that before,” said Chris. “I will have this brought to a safe location and alert the girl’s relatives. You two should get some sleep.” John brought Chris and Jessica up to the apartment and left to go to the police station ten minutes later feeling quite tired. He dropped off the body and told his men the evidence given by the witnesses. “What do you think the letter L stands for?” questioned Sergeant Phil. “I have no idea, how about you Bill?” said John. Bill looked deep in thought but could not figure it out. John, Joey, Bill, Phil, and officer’s Jack and David all agreed that tomorrow they would go back to the apartment building and ask the owner if he had any video recordings. They would also ask around for any witnesses.

John got home to his wife Layla very late that evening because of the events of that day. She greeted him with a warm hug and he told her of the details of the day during dinner. Layla could not believe Alice was murdered. The last time she heard from her was in a fight two years ago. “Okay, I am going to get some rest, you coming?” asked Layla. “No, I want to figure out this case and what that L could mean,” said John. “Okay but don’t stay up late, you need some rest,” said Layla. “Okay, I love you, goodnight.” John stayed up for a couple of hours making phone calls and looking at his files when he decided to go to sleep.

John, Joey, Jack, Phil, Bill, and David all met up at the police station the next morning. They rode in separate cars to the apartment building. They found the owner, Mario, in his kitchen eating breakfast. “Hello sir I am Police Chief John Gardiello,” said John. “Hello officers,” said Mario nervously. They got right down to business and Mario told them that he did have video recordings for them to look at that showed the alleyway. “The camera is in the basement window pointing towards the alley”, said Mario. The policemen talked to Mario and other residents and asked them questions until night time. One man named Shaun seemed to be quite agitated about the whole incident. They all decided to go downstairs and look at the tapes.

The basement was pitch black and there was no light coming in from the windows. It was very damp in the basement and it smelled extremely bad. The officers felt around the walls for a light switch but could not find one. Phil told Jack to go out and get the flashlight from his car. Jack left and the officers decided to try and find the camera instead. After five minutes the officers heard Joey say, “I got it!” They all decided to go back up to Mario’s room to watch the tapes.

When they got to his door they saw it was open. They all drew their guns and searched the house. They found Mario sitting up on his bed, with an apparent grin on his face. When Phil moved closer he saw a trickle of blood running down from the side of his mouth. Mario was dead, and had two O’s carved on his hands. They put the tape into the television to see who the killer was. The only thing they saw was a male Caucasian shooting Alice. They could not see his face but there was only one male Caucasian in the building. His name was Shaun. John and Bill went down to get Shaun. The rest of them stayed upstairs.

Meanwhile, Layla was worried because John had not called and it was very late. She decided to get in her car and drive to the apartment.

Ten minutes had gone by and David, Joey, and Phil wondered why John and Bill had not brought up Shaun yet. They went down to his room and found the apartment wrecked, and blood dripped on the floor. They searched the room and decided to go to the basement. On the top of the staircase they saw John lying down. He had blood smeared on him. They walked to him cautiously. He was alive. “I’m alright,” said John. He told them that they talked to Shaun and told him about the letters and the tape. Shaun had fought them and ran into the basement. Bill chased him down there but he was to hurt to go. I will be all right, but go find Bill,” said John.

The officers went into the basement and found Bill sitting next to a dim fire. His back was towards them. When they turned him around they saw a knife sticking out of his chest. He also had the letter k engraved on his hand. The officers were shocked and they got up to go and tell John what happened. Just then the fire went out.

Layla had gotten to the apartment and was about to enter when she met up with Jack. Jack advised her not to go in there because he was radioed that there was another murder in there. Layla was so frantic to see her husband that she tried to get in anyway. “Mrs., I can’t let you in,” said Jack. In one swift movement Layla retrieved a knife from her handbag and stabled Jack in the arm and chest. She left his dead body and ran into the building.

Shaun was hiding when he heard three thuds and a couple of squeals. He lit his second match and had a look at what was going on. He saw three men dangling from nooses. He recognized them as Joey, Phil, and David. There was letters written in blood cross their chests. The letters were u, p, and an exclamation point. He put together all the letters and spelled out “Look Up!” He turned his head upwards and the last thing he saw was John jumping down from a ledge with a knife at him. When John finally killed him he turned on the light switch and he heard Layla coming down the stairs. They glared at each other for a second then ran forward and kissed each other. Two minute later they were riding away in a stolen cop car. The next day the Headlines of the New York Post said, “Beware of Two Escaped Mental Patients from a Clinic in New Jersey.” Their names were John and Layla and they were husband and wife.

This is an enticing story with a dreadful twist.

aspiringsinger SILVER, Chester, Virginia

"What's the point of all this if you're not going to let this change you?" Jake Taylor in To Save a Life

OMG! that was like the best article ive EVER read!!!! keep writing because I SOOO want to read more of your brilliance!!

puppet said...
ssssshhhhhhuuuuuuuuttttt uuuuuuppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!

TouchOfARose SILVER, Winter Garden, Florida

"We all have ability. The difference is how we use it." -Stevie Wonder

It wasn't very well executed...it had a good plo, and I like where you're going with the suspense and all that, but it doesn't make much sense in some parts.

The police chief wouldn't take the body back to the station, the medical examiner would. And how does the police chief's wife know Alice? Why does she care? You never explained it, so it just leaves the reader confused... and how do they know her name is Alice? Did they find a license? Did the other residents already know her and tell the police her name?

There were a few punctuation mistakes as well. So maybe get someone to help you proof read this? It was good, just needed a bit of refinement. (: Keep writing, you seem to have a nack for creativity!

MidnightNow1127 GOLD, Brentwood, California

"Christus nos liberavit!"

I like it, but it doesn't really make sense to me how they are discussing the murders and are concerned about them, and the fact that John is trying to "figure out" who killed them. What was the main conflict? Who was the target? Shaun? It was difficult to understand, but I think that with more with it, it could turn out very nicely.

LASwan SILVER said...
on Oct. 23 2011 at 9:10 am
LASwan SILVER, Yukon, Oklahoma

Don't worry about the world endng today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
-Charles Schultz

Great concept, mediocre exicution. I sitll liked it, though; I realize that you wanted it as short as possible to keep the reader's attention. I'd be better by leaps and bounds if it was more fleshed out, but its a great read as is too.

ElecticFeel said...
on Oct. 1 2011 at 10:36 am
ElecticFeel, Crown Point, Indiana

I'm a winner, see my prize. You're a loser who sits and cries!
-Squidward

Woa! I wish i could write a great piece like that!

weridogirl said...
weridogirl, Yorkville, California
i agreed with you but mostly postive

weridogirl said...
weridogirl, Yorkville, California
i know it was a different but cool scary

weridogirl said...
weridogirl, Yorkville, California
it was the best mystery i had no idea what the ending was very good

crazybookworm123 BRONZE, Lawrenceville, Georgia

Don't worry when you are not recognized, but always strive to be worthy of recognition- Abraham Lincoln

that was amazing!!!!!!! great job!!!!! i loved it!!!!

MusicIsLife013 SILVER, New York, New York

"Light, like the flutter of wings, feel your hollow voice rushing into me
As you're longing to sing" -AFI

"Here we go again, I kinda wanna be more than friends, so take it easy on me I'm afraid you're never satisfied." -Neon Trees

oooo that was good!! check out some of my stuff!

on Aug. 9 2010 at 1:55 am
Future_author SILVER, Baltimore, Maryland

Some secrets can hurt, but sometimes they keep you safe, but all secrets are found out sooner or later.

wow thats scary

TheMalfunctioningWallflower BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"GET THE CAT!!!"

"I did wood paneling."

"Do not FEAR the Crooked Zipper!! EMBRACE the Crooked Zipper!!!"

"What's better than infinity?"

"Wear your helmets, we'll be reaching speeds of three!"

"You could walk on your hands and catch up to him!"

wow. That was exciting. I thought the "L" was an "S" so I got confused until it said Look up! I thought it was Sook up! :D

on May. 13 2010 at 11:48 am
meganleigh122 GOLD, Greeneville, Tennessee

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."

it was good, but some stuff happened really fast and left me confused. which isn't that eay to do. anyway, good plot, i encourage you to keep writing. just need to work on some things. can you please check out some of my stuff? :)

on May. 13 2010 at 11:41 am
RyanDouglass GOLD, Geneva, Other

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

I liked it. It was really fast-paced and the twist was good. The writing was kind of mediocre at some parts though.

CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington

"I know why everyone in this world is so desperate to find love."
"Oh yeah? Why then?"
"Because, it's the closest thing we have to magic."

it was fast-paced. some parts didn't make sense, like how an escaped mental patient became a police officer, and another one was in a relationship long enough to have a cover husband. i liked it though, it had just enough blood and terror in it.

EmelyJ GOLD said...
EmelyJ GOLD, Bronx, New York

"A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it. If you learn from it, it's not a mistake, it's a lesson."

Exciting....I loved it!

gh33334 said...
on Oct. 27 2009 at 9:20 am
As boring as

dfff said...
on Oct. 27 2009 at 9:19 am
Positive and bad.

Jomanna said...
Loved it! Thought it was wonderful!!