Unfair

When I walk down the hall, I like to pop my gum. I sit with a crowd of girls at lunch who are all totally jealous of me. I date the hottest guy in the school and I have him bowing at my feet. I'm completely gorgeous and popular, and I like to wear form fitting clothes, some of them kind of expensive.

When I walk down the hall I pop my gum and I can hear girls all around me whispering about how I do it just so everyone can hear me. Tons of those girls are part of the crowd I sit with at lunch. I know that the guy I date would be completely uninterested in me if I didn't look the way I do. I have to listen to girls that I call my friends whisper loudly enough so that everyone can hear. They talk about how dirty I am for wearing tight shirts with the name of the store where I bought it stretched across my chest. They call me names that shouldn't even be spoken for wearing short shorts with the name of the beach where I spent my last summer on the butt.

It's not fair for them to make me feel like dirt because I'm pretty or because I can afford to shop at the stores I do. It's not fair that most nights I cry and I want to throw my life away. It's not fair that because of a tag they put on me, I deserve to be talked about. It's not fair, but it's how it is.

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is true. Wait, is it supposed to be ironic or not? I couldn't tell. Well, it was interesting anyway.

ayeshamuzaffar This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 7:18 am
Since your article was published in the magazine, did you get a free copy of the mag? I'm asking because I just got an email that my poem was published in the magazine yet they didn't ask for the address :s

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 8:12 am
Everything you wrote is pretty true

ohsopoisonous said...

Ha, the first paragraph kind of made me think of Gretchin on Mean Girls.

Very well written though, I love all of your stories.

iwriter42 said...
i like how it's written differently, from a popular girl's point of view for a good change.  by the way, i get e-mails whenever you submit anything; you're really talented!

through_my_eyes said...

another amazing atritlce :)

really nice work :)

It shows the two sides of people. The one girl whos tall confident and herds her "friends" together, and the other whos just like any other teenager. She has her own unsecurities. Very nice work :)

shannonx3 said...
May 20, 2010 at 10:22 am
wow i agree. "Unfair" i realistic and they are just jealous of you dear.(:

PoetLaureate07 said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 9:01 am
AWWW!! Poor girl.... the thing that got me was the part about the guy wouldn't date her if she didnt look the way she did.. That's sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpha-Lyrae said...
I like the perspective you gave, kinda shaking up what people usually think. nice

Daimon, Demon said...
"Unfair" is realistic, and I liked your style of writing. You captured that tone of today's generation quite well, love. I hope you have a lovely day, and you ought to read "Opulence", or "A wish for her" on Teen Ink. My wishes with the comets. -Daimon

writer24/7/365 said...
please read some of my pieces!

writer24/7/365 said...
this is really good. u should follow it up into a story.

awesomeaugust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
(the author) This article isn't about me in any way, I wrote it after reading another article on teen ink (popular girls in ugg boots) any although I liked the article, I just think that there are two sides to every story (therefore I wrote this). This is really different from other things that I've written, so I'd love you to check out those, too. If you leave a link to some of your work, or comment under your username, I'll be sure to look at some of your writing too. Thanks!

writer24/7/365 replied...
this is great! u should make it into a story!!!!!!!!!!!!!

koolkat101love replied...
yeah you totally should