The old womans long leather bag | Teen Ink

The old womans long leather bag

May 4, 2009
By Krysta BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona
Krysta BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona
4 articles 2 photos 2 comments

Once upon a time there was an old woman who had three daughters. The small family was very poor because there old maid took a leather bag with all there riches. The mother was very sad. The oldest daughter saw this and went off in search for work.
“Mother I am tired of seeing you sad so I will search for a job and if I am not back in one year one day you will know I am doing good.” She said.
The Mother was very proud so she gave her daughter a rose.
“This will bring you love from my heart. I can bless it or I can give you some money to start out with.” she said.
“I will take the money. Good bye Mom. Bye sisters.” With that she left
She traveled far away farther than you can tell me and twice as far as I can tell you. Then one day she came across an old woman. When the old woman asked her where she was going the oldest daughter said.
“I am going far to get money so my Mother will be happy.”
“I am of need for a maid maybe you would be interested. There is only one rule you have to obey. Do not look up the chimney.” She said
So the daughter accepted the offer and started to work for her.
The days went by and the oldest daughter obeyed the one rule when one day her curiosity got the best of her.
When she looked up the chimney she found her mothers old leather bag. She grabbed the bag and started for home.
She didn’t go far when she met a hoarse.
“Rub me, Rub me. I haven’t been rubbed in seven years.” It said.
But she only struck him with a stick.
Next she came to a sheep.

“Pet me. Pet me. I haven’t been pet in seven years.” It said.
But she hit the sheep and went on.
The next thing she went by was a goat.
“Milk me. Milk me. I haven’t been milked in seven years.” It said but she just flung a stone at it and went on.
Finally she came to a mill.
“Turn me. Turn me. I haven’t been turned in seven years.” It said
But she just went behind the door and lay down behind it.
When the old woman came into her hut she noticed that the oldest daughter was missing and her long leather bag.
So she ran.
She came by the hoarse and asked “have you seen my maid with my long leather bag.”
The hoarse answered “yes, I have. She went that way.” Then he pointed to the sheep.
She ran all the way to the sheep and asked “sheep have you seen my maid and my long leather bag?”
“Yes I have. She went that way.” He pointed to the goat.
The old woman ran all the way to the goat to ask “goat have you seen my maid with my long leather bag?”
“Yes, I have seen your maid and your long leather bag” he said then pointed to the mill.
Finally the old woman ran to the mill and asked “mill of mine have you seen my maid and my long leather bag?”
“Yes I have seen your maid and your long leather bag. They are behind my door.” He said
The old woman went in and struck the girl with a magic white stick and it turned the oldest girl into stone. Then she took the long leather bag and went home.
A year and a day went by and the eldest daughter left home and seeing as her sister was doing ok the second daughter spoke. “My sister must be doing well since she has not come back. It is a shame to see you sad all the time and I wish to help. Give me a rose and I will be on my way if I have not returned in one year one day you know I have made my fortune.” With that the mother gave her a rose. Then she asked “I can bless the rose or I can give you little money to start out with.”
She took the money and went off.
It had not been long until she met with the old woman. The same fate took the middle sister as it had the eldest. She was too hit with the white stick and made into stone.
A year and one day passed and seeing as her two oldest sisters have not returned they must have made their fortune. “Mother my two sisters have not returned that must mean they are doing well. If I may ask if I could too.” The younger sister was completely different from her older sisters. She was kind and gentle.
The Mom gave her the rose and asked her the same thing she asked the other daughters. “Do you want the rose blessed or some money to start out on?”
The youngest thought for a minuet then said “I would like your blessing mother.”

After her Mom blessed the rose she was off. It as not long until she met the same old woman as the other sisters met. And of course she accepted the offer right away. And just like her sisters she found her mothers long leather bag and runoff.
Soon she came across the horse. “Rub me, Rub me, I haven’t been rubbed for seven years.”
The youngest daughter replied “oh, you poor horse. I will surely do that.” She laid down her bag and rubbed the horse.
Then she went on, and it wasn’t long before she met the sheep.
“Oh, pet me, pet me I haven’t been pet in seven years.” It said
“Oh, you poor sheep. I will surely do that.” She said. She laid down her bag and petted it.
On she went until she met the goat.
“Oh, milk me, milk me. I haven’t been milked in seven years.” It said
“Oh, you poor goat, I will surely do that.” She said. She laid down her bag and milked it.
At last she came across the mill. “Oh, turn me; turn me I haven’t been turned in seven years.” It said
“Oh you poor mill. I will surely do that.” Then she turned the mill.
She went inside and went to sleep.
When the old woman came home she saw that her maid was gone and her long leather bag. She went running after her.
She met the horse and asked “Have you seen my maid and my long leather bag?”
The horse replied “Do you think I have anything better to do but watch your maids all day.” And with that he turned away.
She went on and soon came to the sheep. She asked it “Have you seen my maid and long leather bag.”
The goat replied “Do you think I have anything better to do than watch your maids for you?” and with that he turned away.
Next she came to the goat and asked “Have you seen my maid and my long leather bag?”
The goat replied “Do you think I have any thing better to do but watch your maids all day.” And with that it turned away.
At last she came to the mill and asked “Have you seen my maid with my long leather bag.”
“Come closer and whisper to me.” It said
The old woman came and the mill swallowed her up. Then the mill told the youngest daughter to take the white stick that the old woman dropped and hit two boulders in the back. The youngest did this and found the two sisters. They went back home and lived happily ever after. The end.


The author's comments:
Ilove this as a kid i hope you enjoy!