SET PIECE (BAD TEST GRADE) | Teen Ink

SET PIECE (BAD TEST GRADE)

By PranvBR9875 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
PranvBR9875 BRONZE, Cupertino, California

Tried out/to put in: Personification, metaphor, 3rd Person, dramatizing and flashbacks   

PRANAV BUSSANNAGARI

He  was looking  down on it, feeling stupid,  guilty, and most of all scared. It was looking back at him, as lifeless as ever, but with so much malice that only he could see. There  was a giggling at the back of the room, and he wanted to look back and see if they were laughing at him, but he could  not. Everybody was proud of themselves, because they all did wonderful. He wanted to cry, punch himself till he bled, run to the other  side of the world and never come back again. He wanted to keep it a secret, but somebody would eventually find out. They would ask him questions, and he would obviously answer them wrong, then he would be moved down. It was a test that he did poorly on. It felt like the paper was staring at him, grinning with so much evil. It felt as though it had infinite power, and he had none. He wanted to scream and rip his paper in half-forget about it, but he needed to return it. His heart was shrieking-and every beat it made hurt. It felt as though he was covered in a blanket of despair, his face felt like it was burning from the hottest flames. He looked at the 2 people discussing in front of him, talking about how cringy and annoying everyone was in 5th Grade. He recalled himself being just as annoying, but at least he would get good grades. It was so easy, in Elementary school, and he could not believe how hard the world had become. He promised himself he would actually study for the next test, just like he did last time…

This set piece is what I used for my presentation in class, because it had a good descriptive sense. It also portrays personification, metaphors, a flashback, and 3rd person. I usually do not use these writing excerpts, so I tried them out in this set piece.

rutwikt said...
on Nov. 14 2018 at 12:07 am
rutwikt, Oak Park, California
Moving work! The inner conflict and emotional turmoil of the character was portrayed with great conviction. You have a bright future as a writer!

tvaishu9 said...
on Nov. 8 2018 at 10:47 pm
tvaishu9, Los Angeles, California
I love the way you portrayed the exam score to convey the narrator’s emotions. It’s an excellent reflection of the pressure students place on themselves at school.

tvaishu9 said...
on Nov. 8 2018 at 10:46 pm
tvaishu9, Los Angeles, California
So beautifully written! Amazing talent, keep up the amazing work!