Friend or Foe? | Teen Ink

Friend or Foe?

By planet_jupiter8 SILVER, San Jose, California
planet_jupiter8 SILVER, San Jose, California

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.

I am Riley Antelle and it is my most feared night of the year. You see, even though I am 13 now, this experience has been restricting me from doing anything or even having a good experience at school or in any busy, public place.’ Anyway, I have this amazing friend who lives halfway around the world and she is the only one that I have. Her name is Alexis. I’ve only known her since second grade and then she moved away the very same year. Now she lives in France and I am stuck here in Washington. You might say that there are a ton of people here, and that they are very enthusiastic and playful. That is what everybody thinks when they have not lived here their whole life. Alexis might be bored there but at least she can say to people “I live in France!” What can I say? “Hi, I”m Riley and I live in Washington?” I mean if you were to add something too it it would probably be “Hi I’m Riley and I live in Washington D.C.”

Now, in 2017 I have finally settled on the fact that I feel disconnected. I don’t think anyone can feel like this. Like me. Everybody since halloween in 2010 has laughed at me because I didn’t want to go in the haunted houses. I was 6! I moved up a grade when I was in Kindergarten because I already knew what I needed to do, how to do math, and how to write. Getting back to the point, I hate Halloween because it is the night when everything changed. Alexis had finally told me that she had to move to beautiful France. She was my upstander to all of the kids in my grade and above, and most importantly, my best friend. Also, no one knew that I was different until they heard that I was stuck between being a pretty doll and being a strong Power Ranger for halloween. Two totally different things that you probably didn’t know about me. Anyway, Alexis came to visit me this summer and she seemed different. She was not her normally bright and bubbly self. Alexis was cold and mean. She was here for a week and barely talked to me or even my parents! If she did not want to talk to me why did she come over in the first place?!?

I was on my blog when she called on skype. She acted like her old, predictable self when I talked to her. The conversation went a little something like this;

“Alexis! OMG, I am so happy to see you again! How is life like there?”, I exclaimed as though nothing better had ever happened to me in my life

“Shhhhh! I only have a short time to talk before they come back.” Her voice sounded like she was in a rush.

“What?!? I thought you were branching out and making new, better friends and barely thought about me!”

“Again, Be quiet!!!! Remember, the people? Okay, now that I have shut you up, here we go. There are souls here and they start possessing you after a fair amount of time and they can take full control of your body.”, At this point I am so confused, yet so creeped out that I cannot even open my mouth.

“When I supposedly came to Washington to stay over, I didn’t know that I was there. That is why I didn’t talk to you. When I came home, the possessed me told my parents that was in Washington, at your house, without telling them. When I was back to myself, like right now, I didn’t know where I had been and had no recollection of ever being in Washington. I am sorry, I’ve gotta go. I will see you again sometime.”, I was totally taken-aback by this information, so I decided to go over there myself because she is a great friend and I would do anything for her. I am writing all of this to send out on the internet so I can tell everyone before I get taken over again…..

You might see some similarity between this piece and the book Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin. I had recently read the book and some ideas that came to me, were from that book.