A kid travelling in first class everyday | Teen Ink

A kid travelling in first class everyday

By cujujujuj BRONZE, New York, New York
cujujujuj BRONZE, New York, New York

Jonathan’s eyes are open; at just the age of 10, he’s already sitting in an Airbus A380 bound for Dubai in an Emirates first class suite. He sets his seat to the upright position and opens up the windows which are displaying the sunset outside of the plane with the help of computer screens. “Ahh, what a day to be alive!” he says. With his legs up on the desk and hands behind his head, he chooses his favorite TV show, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and watches it for an hour and then presses the flight attendant button. An audible “Ding!” can be heard as a flight attendant comes over and asks him for what he wants. He orders a glass of champagne and a vanilla cake all included with his first class ticket.
A couple minutes pass by as Jonathan scrolls through his social media feeds and there it is, the delicious vanilla cake and champagne have arrived. While devouring and drinking, Jonathan checks on the flight status and sees that the plane will be arriving in Dubai in 34 minutes. After the time has elapsed, the plane lands smoothly on the Runway 30L despite moderate crosswinds. Once he leaves Gate B32, a driver picks him up with the name Jonathan written with an Expo marker on a small whiteboard. Now he’s headed for a luxurious stay at the renowned 5-star Burj-Al-Arab hotel. About 25 min after exiting the car, he receives a wonderful greeting by a couple of hotel staff at the front door, the check in to the hotel, and given a room key, he heads to his hotel room; 827. Lo and behold is an absolutely stunning and breathtaking view of Dubai all worth the $1400 per night price which his company paid for.
24 hours elapse and Jonathan is now headed back to the airport in an Uber. He arrives at the airport and this time, his mere 10 hour first class ticket is bound for Tokyo’s Haneda airport once again on Emirates (EK312) as they are the only airline with nonstop service. He heads into a Boeing 777 and finds his seat. The two powerful GE90 engines power the plane on Runway 12L. It takes off and 15 minutes later, it cruises to an altitude of 37,000 ft and reaches a cruise speed of 510 knots, about 590 mph.
At this time, Jonathan is asked by the flight attendant which drink he’d like and he chooses orange juice. A few seconds later, Jonathan feels pain and tension in his chest area. As the flight attendant comes back with the drink, he sees Johnathan flat on the floor unconscious.
The flight attendant attempts CPR on Jonathan but gets no response. He then alerts his colleague to tell the captain and first officer to make an emergency descent and head back to the closest airport (Haneda) and have medical crew on the ground ready. As the plane goes into a descent of about 2500 feet per minute, the flight attendant gets the defibrillator and tries to restart Jonathan’s heart. After three attempted restarts, Jonathan is finally conscious again but very disoriented. Although Jonathan seems fine, he still needs to be checked out by a doctor. About 15 minutes later, the plane is approaching the same runway it took off of. With the nose slightly up, the rear landing gears gently touch the ground, as thrust reversers (which put the thrust in the forward direction to slow the plane down), ground spoilers, auto brakes and toe brakes put the plane to a halt. A moment later, the plane taxis via M12, M10, K7, J2 to Gate B5, the large triple seven allows their first passenger, Jonathan off to be examined by a doctor.

My inspiration for writing about this piece was my fascination with aviation with led me to write about planes in this piece. I hope people will learn more about the inner workings of commercial aircrafts.