The Possible Outcome | Teen Ink

The Possible Outcome

May 22, 2018
By jona__m SILVER, Tirana, Other
jona__m SILVER, Tirana, Other
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We can be extraordinary together, rather than ordinary apart"


Bang, Bang! Those were the gunshots that were fired by the gun of a thief. He wasn’t trained; however, the gunshots went directly into the security guard’s chest. Therefore, was terrified and he suddenly stopped. As seconds and minutes passed, it felt like hours and hours. He watched as the guard’s body crashed on the cold floor and how the floor became red as the blood from the gunshot wounded. He stayed there, shocked and then he realized that he had to go so he ran as fast as he could, he forgot about the money he was supposed to get and he just got in the car and drove to his house.
He arrived at his porch, unlocked the door, asked if anybody was home, but as always, the house was empty. He ran upstairs, got the gun out of his pants and left it in the bottom drawer. He went to the bathroom, took all his clothes off, entered the shower and scrubbed himself with a sponge as simple drops of tears turned into a burden of sobs. He couldn’t believe it, he just killed a man. He took a man's life, a man who could have a family waiting for him at home and now he is not only called a thief but also a murderer.  He stayed a bit longer in the shower and then got out, dried and dressed. He got out of the house, got in his car and drove to the hospital.
At the hospital, the nurses knew him so they greeted him but he just walked straight to room 505. He stopped in front of the door, breathed deeply, put a smile on his face and entered the door.
“How’s my champion today?” Said Derek.
"We went outside and we chased butterflies! It was so much fun!” Said the kid smiling ear to ear.
“I’m glad you had fun. I’m going to speak to your mother alone for a moment and then we can do whatever you want. Okay, champ?” said Derek with a serious yet smiling face.
“Okay, but it wasn’t mom’s fault. I wouldn’t have eaten if she wouldn’t have taken me outside. So if you want to be mad, be mad at me not mom.” said the kid while feeling guilty.
“I could never be mad at you. Now hang on for a few minutes, we’ll be right back.”
“Okay!”
Derek and his wife, Claire, went out and closed the door behind them.
“How can you be so stupid as to let him outside! I’m doing everything I can to pay for his chemotherapy and you just take him outside! What kind of person with the right set of mind does that?” Shouts Derek.
“Don’t you dare scream at me! I did what I could to make him happy for a day. He has been in that hospital room for months and the doctor said that he was okay to go out! And don’t think I don’t know what you do to get  money, so please stop, relax and tell me what happened today because you don’t seem like yourself.” Says Claire angry while Derek sighs.
“Just tell me what happened today, please,” says Claire, with a calm voice.
“Nothing, nothing happened,”replied Derek
“Did you get the money?” Claire asked doubtfully.
“No, not today, just stop asking questions okay?” Replied Derek angrily.
“Fine, whatever, let's just go back”
They got back and laid on opposite sides of the kid’s bed. They turned on the TV and started watching cartoons as they fell asleep. In the middle of the night, two police officers with guns directed at them enter the room.
“Hands where I can see them,” said one of the policemen.
Derek froze while Claire and the child both freaked out.
“I said, hands where I can see them, sir!” Said the policeman again but now with a louder and angrier voice.
Derek raised his arms high while still laying down.
“Now, slowly get up from the bed and step away from the lady and the kid.” Continued saying the policeman
“This must be a mistake!” Interrupted Claire
“ Maam, please do not interfere.” Now you,” said the policeman while looking at Derek- “move!”
Derek did what the policeman said.
“Derek Wilson, you are under arrest for the murder of Jack Millard. Everything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney, if you can’t afford an attorney, one will be provided for you” Says the policeman with a serious and formal voice while getting his cuffs out of the pocket on his left.
They cuff him and then push him out of the room. The boy and the wife run after him, crying and shouting his name. In a split moment the shouting stop, Derek turns his head to see what happened, when he sees his son that collapses on the floor, coughing blood and then sees the doctors that surround him and that's it. He gets into the police car and they drive away. They arrive at the police station were Derek is put into a cell and left there.
He starts thinking about everything, about what he did and it was eating him from the inside but at the same time, he excused Jack's death by thinking that he only did it because he didn't want to get caught due to his obligation to pay his son's hospital bills. On the other hand, not knowing what happened to his son and how he is right now, was making him go crazy.
After two days, the police let him go. As soon as he got out he went to the hospital. He ran upstairs and went to his son’s hospital room when he entered the room he heard a ‘Peeeeeeeee’ from the hospital equipment and heard his wife crying. He was devastated. It was too late now and there's nothing he could do. Derek went to hug his wife but she pushed him away, started shouting, swearing at him and then promised that she would divorce him because she blamed everything on him.
He was left with nothing, his wife was going to divorce him, his son died and the guilt of taking a human life was killing him. He didn't think that his life could go any worse and he wasn’t finding a good reason to be alive anymore.
That’s where he snaps out of it, he was still holding a gun directed at the guard; however, he doesn’t shoot the guard, instead, he just runs thinking that shooting him wouldn’t have the best outcome. He continues running until he reaches his house. He enters, goes upstairs, hides the gun he had, changes into more comfortable clothes, gets out of the house and drives to the hospital to see his son.