Familiar With the Devil. | Teen Ink

Familiar With the Devil.

December 11, 2017
By pason BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
pason BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Chapter One


Over the past centuries people have depicted Lucifer as many things. A Beast, a Fallen Angel, but no one has gotten to know the devil. No one has asked him “how was your day,” until now.


Earth, 2020, in a random Catholic High School a boy is presenting a “vague” history of the devil by William (our main character by the way).


“In the beginning of the early church a figure known as the devil…” The teacher stopped him. She looked enraged. “Stop right there William! See me after class,” said his teacher Ms. Hi. He was afraid because this would be his third strike and most likely his first detention, all because of saying the devil’s name.
William’s teacher Ms. Hi was very strict and hostile at times. Although, she could be nice at other times. She was unpredictable.


“William this project is unacceptable, if you want to be a cultist (someone who worships the devil) go ahead but you will not drag others down with you!” said Ms. Hi.


“You will have detention in here for five days until you learn how to make a real project and not a fantasy!”
Chapter Two


After detention, which was horrible, I came home to my mom screaming at me. I decided not to listen, and went up to my room instead. I saw a glint of light coming from the mirror. I looked in it but I only saw myself, a slender red head. I clenched my fists in anger at everyone.


“William” a whispering voice said from nowhere. I jumped and turned around causing whatever it was to scatter.  I decided resting would be beneficial for my health as I was seeing things so I lied down and rested for an hour. After a rejuvenating rest, my brain must have still been asleep because I forgot to do my history work, although it may have been that I just didn’t want to. I mean I stared at it for at least an hour and was getting nowhere with it.


The next morning was about as frustrating. I came to my locker and some idiot left me a note insulting my red hair. I clenched my fist with the paper in it. Suddenly, a burning sensation and a voice saying “William” again, made me jump. I looked in my hand and there was only ashes where the paper had been in my hand. I didn’t know how this happened and while I was wondering about it someone slapped me in the back of the head.
“Hi,” it was a teenager about my size but with flames spewing out from two spots on his head almost like horns. “Who are you?” I said with a shiver.


“Oh, nobody really.” said the figure. He was like nothing I had ever seen before.


“So is that the presentation you did about the devil, mind if I take a look at it?” he said as my head started to spin. Now I wondered, why would a random person want to see my presentation on the devil? I looked at him with bewilderment and turned around to find my iPad in my locker. When I turned back around all I saw was a cat and a cute one at that. So, I walked away confused.  The cat followed me like it knew me but I had never seen it before. People stopped to talk to him but before they could pet him they all seemed distracted by a mysterious light that no one could see. The rest of school day went normally or at least for my standards. Detention was still horrible. Anyway, when I got home the cat was still following me, despite the fact I tried my hardest to lose it on the walk back home. My mom immediately attached to the cat and said his name would be “Saint” and we could keep him. He slouched into my room and I noticed out of the corner of my eye a shadow substance that was the cat becoming human. It turned into the teen I saw at my locker, “So about that presentation?”


He looked even more slender than last time. I thought he might have been starving himself he was so skinny. A shiver went down my spine and I felt cold like an icy hand was touching me but then it disappeared quickly.
“Well get on with it, show me the presentation,” he urged me on and so I told him how and why the devil was so present in the past few centuries.


“Let me see the iPad,” he said and I let him use it. He hawked over it as though it was his first time using one. He walked away and I saw the word “familiar” on the screen. As I got closer I saw the following description.
“A demon who has bonded with a human it believes would benefit them. The most prominent form was that of a two-tailed cat called a catsi. There has not been a sighting of a catsi for centuries.”


I looked back and the boy was gone, and the cat walked in. He had one tail.


“I thought you could figure it out on your own. I guess I’m not the demon I once was.” The cat was talking then his tail split. “I guess you haven’t had your temptaint so…” he shifted from cat to shadow to human in an instant. “It’s been a while since I was on earth, I mean two hundred years is a long time right?” I was mortified. My brain was telling me to jump out the window but I couldn’t move. “You look scared child.” He knew I was and said “don’t worry, if I wanted to kill you I would have done it earlier.” A sensation of relief flew over me but I was still on guard.


“It’s quite the contrary, actually I’m here to make peace with you, or to put it in other words, I’m your familiar.”


Chapter three in next book.