Help in Time of Need | Teen Ink

Help in Time of Need

By josiewarby SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia
josiewarby SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia

I tossed my rent bill across the room and it went under my bed. A minute later, a grotesque claw pushes the bill back but returns it’s paw holding a wad of cash.if you’ve lived under my bed for a month how come i’ve never heard or seen you?’’ I asked suspiciously. ‘’You never clean underneath your bed’’ he simply replied. That was a true comment.

Chapter 1: Help in Time of Need

I tossed my rent bill across the room and it went under my bed. A minute later, a grotesque claw pushes the bill back but returns it’s paw holding a wad of cash. Without any hesitation I grab the wad of cash and and start to count how much it is. A growl resounds from underneath the bed. ‘’Thank You’’ I reply hoping that would suffice. ‘’Spend it wisely’’ It said. I look under the bed to see a furry creature. Immediately I thought of Chewbacca from Star Wars. ‘’How long have you been there?’’ I asked confused. ‘’About a month’’ it replied. ‘’Do you have a name?’’ I asked him. ‘’No. Our species all look alike therefore, we think it is pointless to have names.’’ I thought that was silly. How would they be able to tell each other apart? Instead of overwhelming the creature with questions I gave him a suggestion. ‘’Can I call you Chewy?’’ I asked hopeful. The creature thought for a moment. ‘’Chewy.’’ It repeated thinking it over. ‘’Yes. I quite like that actually!’’ he replied fondly. I grinned and continued to have conversation with my new Chewbacca friend. ‘’Wait a second… if you’ve lived under my bed for a month how come i’ve never heard or seen you?’’ I asked suspiciously. ‘’You never clean underneath your bed’’ he simply replied. That was a true comment. ‘’Where did you get the money from?’’ I asked. ‘’This is all the money you’ve lost, that people owe you, and how much you should have spent on overpriced items over the years’’ he explained. I gasped seeing that it was well over a thousand dollars. ‘’I don’t plan on spending this foolishly but would you also give me money in times of need?’’ I asked. ‘’Yes, in times of want and need. The first thing you need to know is… you can’t move out of this house or else you will stop receiving the money’’ I furrowed my eyebrows in confusement. ‘’I’m a exclusive to this apartment, every apartment has one of us in ONE room and you’re the lucky receiver. When I realized you would get kicked out if you didn’t pay this time I came to your rescue. I have your back from now on’’ he explained. I was so relieved and happy that This furry creature came to my rescue! I became best friends with Chewy and he was very important to me. He wasn’t just my rent payer  he was my friend!