The Fire Started It All | Teen Ink

The Fire Started It All

By Midnightwolf1987 BRONZE, Hemet, California
Midnightwolf1987 BRONZE, Hemet, California

"Even though it seems that life is short, it is the longest objective you will ever encounter!"

The wretched smell seeped through my nose as I dared myself to take another breath. I breathed fast and hard, hoping that the air would get down first. The smoke slithered down my throat to make captive of my lungs. I cough to get rid of the vile poison, but to only breath in some more. It burned my lungs, my vision was dizzy and I started to get used to holding my breath for a longer time.

My shoes, melted against the rapidly hot floor, pounded against the ground. My feet ached as I jumped over the burning wood pile. It throbbed as I landed with a thud.

I continued to push through the living ruble. My home, now being eaten alive, started it's own fire. At least, that's what I hoped so. Inside the house I knew my family was there.

Hopefully, alive.

I looked around, my gaze was blurred by the surrounding smoke. It filled the rooms and hallways like death, the thickness was like fog. I threatened to take another breath. It filled my lungs as I gasped to grasp onto some actual air. The smoke traveled down faster and infested my lungs with it's disease. I coughed again, it seemed to be getting out as I pushed harder. But as soon as I took another breath it came back again, more eager this time.

My eyes still burned by the smoke, I ran farther into the tunnel of fire to find my family.

I stopped to look around, my breath came out in gasps. There was an open door at the end of the hall way. My room. I quickly rushed to the door and slammed it shut to stop the oncoming smoke to come any further. The smoke poured in as the wind slammed it shut, I brought my arm to protect my face from the oncoming smoke. My purple jacket smelled like smoke and of death.

I brought down my arm and coughed a little. I peered through the thickness, my eyes winded at the sight that was held before me.

There laying like lumps on a log, were my family. They were burnt, the skin peeling from their muscles, the fire eating their remaining flesh like the hungry animals it is. TI gasped a bit before quickly rushing over to my mother and pulling an arm to go over my shoulder with difficulty. I took a deep breath and gripped onto my dad’s and brother’s limp arms and started to pull.

My mouth burned with bile as I suddenly felt nauseous, I gripped my mouth and kneeled over to the warm ground. My dinner crawled up my throat and onto the carpet. I was crying by then. "This was all my fault, wasn't it?" I yelled out to no one but the fire. The fire seemed to cackle and laugh at my weak state. It continued.

“Is this how i'm gonna go?” I asked myself, disbelief was clear in my voice. The fire came even closer, prowling like a cat, wanting more food, howling even.

I coughed heavily as I reopened the door. My body ached as I stumbled down the heated hallway, and the crumbling steps of my burning house, to the door. A beam of fire landed in front of my body as I halted to a stop.

“Gah!!” I pushed through the large beams, feeling my skin start to curl up as I make it outside with my family in tow. I stumbled to my destination, my body stung harder.. I reached the door, the handle was flaming hot as I grabbed it. I hissed in pain and slammed it open and the dark cold night wind whooshed in my face as it welcomed me to my new life.

I had made this story because of how I had used to think about life as a fire, a burning pain and yet it can be so beautiful at a distance. I gotten too close to the fire and in result brought my family down along with me, but I had wanted to bring them to the real world and away from the fire.