Death

I stared at the spot where the once blue sky sat, now covered in darkness. My job was nearly complete. I had been doing this job for as long as life had been on Earth. My job quickly became very boring. And as the years progressed my life had become a living hell. I begged and begged for the end to come, for everyone and everything to die.
And I must be honest, when it had finally happened I grinned. A very large grin that must have went from my left eye to my right eye. I am so close to finally being free from my job and all my responsibilities. All I need to do is take Life’s soul.
I saw him sitting by a small stream that passed through the meadow we were in. He sat on the grass, in white robes, staring at the stream. There was a table and two chairs next to him. I slowly approached him, trying not to disturb him.
“It’s too soon, don’t you think?” He said to me, avoiding eye contact.
“I hope you know I must do this.” I said.
“I know. I was just hoping we could sit down and have one last drink.” He looked at me with his white eyes. Life got up and walked over to the table. I now noticed two glasses and a bottle of wine on the table. He sat down in one chair and I followed and sat in another. He poured some of the wine into the glasses. He sipped his but I just stared at mine.
“You can’t stall for long.” I said.
“I’m not stalling. I just want to persuade you.” He said.
“I can’t be persuaded.”
“I beg of you to just hear me out, please.” I pondered his words and decided I might as well give him some satisfaction before everything ceases to exist.
“Alright then.” I said. Life grinned a bit.
“Why can’t we just go on living together?” He said.
“Because I’m miserable and I will never be happy until I take you away.”
“But you need me! Without me you have nothing and no one.”
“Enough!” I yelled.
“What’s the matter, Death? Are you afraid of having to spend the rest of your miserable life with me? Or are you afraid of yourself?” Life said.
“I will not sit here and listen to you tell me how lonely my life is.”
“I don’t think you can take my soul.”
“What are you talking about? I’ve waited for this day forever.”
“Then why haven’t you done anything? You had the chance to do it. You could have denied my request for a last drink and just got it over with right then and there.” Life said.
“I thought we could have a final drink as friends, not enemies.” I said.
“You motherf**er! We will never be friends!” Life yelled at me.
“You knew this day would come. You knew everything would end, including you and me. Now, how about you calm down and finish your drink.” Life began breathing heavily and finished the rest of his glass. He began to take the entire bottle and chug it down. When he finished he threw it on the ground, smashing it to pieces, then he reached under the table and pulled out another bottle and poured himself another glass. I watched in pity.
“You really have no clue what it's like to be me. You’re always complaining about how miserable you are, but you don’t know what real pain is. Pain is knowing that everything you create will eventually no longer exist. Pain is knowing that you're destined to be killed by the one person you despise, and there’s nothing you can do. Nothing at all. I’ve spent my entire life sitting around creating, waiting for all of it to die, waiting for you to eventually kill me at the end. And now here we are, at the end of the world in a beautiful meadow drinking and pretending to be friends.” Life said. I stared at him and at my glass and at the broken bottle on the ground. I tried to understand what it was like to be him. But I couldn’t. We were just too different.
“I’m sorry.” That was all I said. I got up out of my chair and walked over to Life. He looked up at me, tears forming in his eyes. He raised his glass and said,
“Cheers.” And then I took his soul and put in my bag. I looked around the meadow one last time. Then everything faded away and there was nothing.