Bean's Game | Teen Ink

Bean's Game

May 19, 2016
By el1th3gam3r SILVER, Glenpool, OK, Oklahoma
el1th3gam3r SILVER, Glenpool, OK, Oklahoma
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“A person has been following people around for more than ten hours straight? He must have some sort of canine addiction or something,” Douglas said.

“I agree. What do you think we should do with him?” Daniel asked.
“Do what the six phone calls told us to do. Arrest him!”

Tibean pulled out all of the money in his wallet. He handed it to the cashier, who gave him an odd stare.
It’s probably how I look... Tibean thought.
“It’s this all you will be getting today, sir?” the cashier asked.
“Uh, yes,” Tibean replied, looking at the lonely bag of dog food, walking across the conveyor belt. All alone.
“Okay, finished my last order,” the cashier said to himself. “Time to head home.”
Tibean’s ears perked up, or at least he thought they did, as he heard the cashier say that. Just like a dog would, he always followed people around.
As Tibean followed the cashier near the exit doors, he heard a young boy, no older than five, say,
“Mommy, that man need a hair bus,”
“Shhh… Don’t say those things, son,” the mother said to the boy in a stern voice. “Sorry about that, sir!”
Tibean patted his hair down, but it flopped right back into it’s rightful position, where it thought it ruled all.
Tibean stomped his cold, bare feet on the ground, which he kept off for the sole purpose of feeling like a dog.
People laugh at me, don’t want to play with me, anything! What have I done wrong?
He looked back the exit doors. He saw a tiny speck of the cashier far into the distance.
Following people always cheers me up. I guess I’ll do that.
Tibean stumbled away, until he completely tripped, causing more people to laugh. He didn’t want to look behind him, to see the faces of the laughing people. He always told himself to not care about what other people think, but then the next time he would do something embarrassing, he couldn’t help it.
He tried to shake it off, and he put two arms and two legs on the ground, his trained spine ready, and Tibean ran into the distance, following the cashier.


Tibean looked as the car went away, driving way too fast for him to catch up to it. He sighed, and he decided to head home.
When he made it close to his house, Tibean’s face lit up as he saw something he thought he would never see in his life.
People are on my driveway! Tibean thought, thinking of nothing bad about it.
Tibean started to walk up to them.
I can’t wait to meet my new, well, only friends! Right?
Tibean’s imaginary tail started wagging.

The dog barked and barked and barked.
“Stop it, Migame!” Matt shouted at his dog, walking out of his closet from taking off his uniform.
Matt grabbed a broom and opened up his front door.
No matter how many times Matt would tell the dog to be quiet, it wouldn’t work.
“What is it you want, Migame? You want to watch me clean away these webs with a broom? Well, isn’t that fun to watch!”
The dog started to whimper and whine, and then she started barking again.
“Fine, have it your way,” Matt said, shaking his head and opening the glass door.
Migame bursted out faster than a rocket all the way out the door. Within a few seconds, Migame was out of sight.
“Migame! Come back here right now! I have food for you! I have-” Matt stopped himself to sigh. “Well, I’m glad I won’t be seeing you again! Hope you’re going back to your abusive owner!

“Hey there, Tibean, uh, Mili! We were looking for you!” Douglas said with a big, mischievous grin on his face.
“You were? For me? Not just anyone, but me?!” Tibean replied, his face filled with shock.
“You’re right, buddy! From our six phone calls we have gotten so far, we have gotten reports that you’re a really nice person! Want to hang out?” Douglas said, the grin forming even bigger.
“S-sure!” Tibean said, feeling like his imaginary tail was wagging and ears were up.
“Great! I’m glad, because we will be hanging out for the rest of your life!” Douglas said as he took a strong grip on to Tibean’s brown shirt. “Daniel, get the back door, and the handcuffs!”
And before Tibean knew it, he was stuck in the grip of Douglas and Daniel.


“So, Tibean, what is it with you and following people around, huh? We usually don’t take care of people like you. You should be in an asylum or something,” Douglas said with a small chuckle.
Daniel stayed silent.
“Is the only reason you decided to take me is because I follow people around? Is that a crime?” Tibean said shyly.
I was so dumb, thinking that I’d actually have friends. A tear fell down Tibean’s cheek. They’re going to trap in their cells, aren’t they? Oh, how foolish I was.
Tibean stared out the window.
This is probably the last I’ll see of you, world.
However, when Tibean looked out the back window of the car, he saw something running toward him. He couldn’t see it too well, so the first thing he assumed was someone else coming to ruin his life.
The thing coming closer was a little bit faster than the speed of the car, so it was catching up fast.
Tibean realized what it was, not from sight, but smell. It was a dog.
He sniffed a little bit more. Definitely a dog.

Tibean could sense what emotion this dog was feeling right now. It was anger. But the one thing Tibean couldn’t note was who the dog was angry at. So the first thing he assumed was him.

 

I will not let him get taken, Migame thought, charging straight forward. He is like the father, the brother, the son, of all of us. He is our family. We all know what he has been through, and we are here to stop it. You will be okay. You will be safe.
As Migame ran, she eavesdropped on the two men’s movements. She would’ve tried to listen in on it with her very good hearing, despite her cut left ear, but no dog understood human speech.
She saw one of them, with a stern look, one that she has seen many times, looking in the rearview mirror. The guy had a sudden smirk, and the car went to an abrupt halt. And it started heading backwards, straight for Migame.
Was I safer staying with my owner? Migame thought suddenly, as the car was heading straight for her. No, this was the right choice.
Migame was running too fast. It was difficult to stop. With the car heading full speed backwards, and Migame running forward, she would be dead within in a few seconds.
Am I really just going to sit here and let myself die?
The car came closer.
No. Of course I won’t!
Migame quickly slid between the wheels of the car, and it went right past her as she slid past the car.
The men’s faces were filled with confusion, but, the driver started to go forward again, and, Migame, not accepting her fate, jumped on the front of car, and started scratching at the windshield. The man had a face that read, “Why are you so stupid?”, and the man turned on the windshield wipers.
Migame barely pulled her paws out of it, and, knowing nothing else to do, started growling and scratching again.
Then the car came to an abrupt stop, throwing Migame off the car.
The car backed up, and Migame saw probably the final look on someone’s face she would ever see. The face clearly read, “Get ready…”
The car was going as far backward as it could, without hitting any yards, houses or other cars, and he started to make it blast forward again, until the back wheels of the car made the car drop into a ditch. The car was now stuck.

 

Tibean was surprised about the major bump the car just now made. He continued to look forward through the windshield, and he saw the dog, barking, growling, practically shouting at the car.
The men looked back at Tibean.
“Well, old friend, we’ll just have to carry you home,” Douglas said, emphasizing the word friend.
Then suddenly, there was a snap sound.  The handcuffs fell off. The men didn’t have the key to lock them.
Tibean immediately opened the car door, and he jumped out, landing on his knees. He climbed out of the ditch.
Don’t look behind you.
Don’t look behind you, Tibean.
Don’t look behind you.
The thoughts kept strolling through Tibean’s mind, and he ran over to the dog, and without even thinking, hugged it.
Tibean knew this was probably the last moment before he was thrown back into the car. But Tibean had no clue that this dog had a plan. And it worked perfectly.

 

Migame waited for the men to get out of the car.
And they did.
Migame charged over to one of the men, Daniel, and he was headbutted straight into the ditch. His head banged up against the cement. He quickly passed out.
Migame then looked back at the other man. He was petrified.
So Migame ran over, and bit his ear, which made him yelp. That made him climb into the car and hold it with his sleeve.

 

As for Tibean, known as Bean, and Migame, known as Game, Tibean became Migame’s owner, just as Migame had wanted. And Tibean felt overjoyed to have someone like Migame as a friend.
Migame also became popular around the town for saving Tibean, yet the way Migame saved Tibean concerned some people.
And not only did Migame become everyone’s friend, but Tibean did as well.


Bean walked into the store with Game, and the first thing Bean did was look to his right.
The only thing he got was dog food.
He ordered it up at the cashier, who stared at the dog.
Maybe dogs aren’t allowed in the store, Bean thought.
He grabbed the bag, which he handed Game, who liked to carry to the bag.
It took a few seconds to get Game’s attention from staring at the man, but then she grabbed the bag with her teeth, and they went out the exit doors.
However, familiarly, Bean tripped, falling on the ground.
A woman walked by, and she stopped and decided to help Bean get back up.
“Are you okay?”  The woman asked Bean with a concerned face.
“Yeah, thanks,” Bean replied, with a smile on his face.
Bean walked off, a smile still hanging on his face, with only positive thoughts running around the imaginary conveyor belt in his mind, all with friends to talk to and love.


The author's comments:

     Looking back at this once again, it doesn't look like my cup of tea, but I hope for you it was a decent story, at least.