The Failed Knight | Teen Ink

The Failed Knight

February 5, 2016
By Korboneya BRONZE, Sebewaing, Michigan
Korboneya BRONZE, Sebewaing, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There once was a knight named Bell.  Many described him as the worst knight in history.  Bell couldn't do anything that a knight should be able to do.  He couldn't joust, sword fight, and he wasn't good and being chivalrous.  Everyone made fun of him for it, and they all told him to quit being a knight and go be a peasant. 
One day he  was walking around, and he saw a wanted poster.  We walked up to it and started to read it.  It said “Wanted a brave knight who is willing to go and kill a dragon, and there will be  a reward if you succeed.”  Some of the other knights walked by and said, “Why are you looking at that poster Bell you aren't even good at sword fighting or being brave.” 
  “I bet you pigs aren't brave enough to go and fight that dragon either.” Bell said with a red and flustered face.  The other knights looked at him in hate.  They drew their swords and charged at him.  He was faster than the other knights, so he got away easily.
When he got back home he opened his door to his empty house.  His parents died when they were attacked by thieves while on the road selling their wares. He was young when they died and he had no other family to go to so they King gave him an old shack that they were going to tear down.  He's been living in this shack alone for about 12 years.  When a boy  turned 18 he had  the chance of becoming a knight of the kingdom, which somehow Bell passed.  As of right now, he had one goal and that was to kill the dragon.
Bell put on his knight armor and sword and headed out. the journey was long and treacherous. When he got to the mountain where the dragon was he could see all of the corpses of all the others who had tried to slay it.  Seeing them made his skin crawl, and he was almost about to leave, but then he remembered what the other said about him. That is his motivation to go and kill the dragon.
When he got to the top of the mountain, he could see the dragon.  The dragon was massive!  It was long and was crimson red. Its teeth were razor sharp and pointy.  Bell started walking towards the beast, but it awoke from its slumber and saw him. It opened its mouth and let out a blood curling roar.  Bell stood his ground and charged at the beast.  The dragon used its tail to slap Bell in his chest and made him fly into a boulder.
With all of his armor badly damaged from the dragon's attack, he took it off while hiding behind some rocks.  When it was all off he came out from behind the rocks and walked towards the dragon.  Then he got close enough to it he could feel its breath.  He readied his sword and charged again. The dragon tried to use his tail again be Bell dodged it with amazing speed. When he got up close to it he swung his sword and made contact with the dragon's stomach.  The dragon roared again in pain.
Bell had a chance to kill the dragon so he took it.  The place where he cut the dragon was just big enough to fit him.  So he took a deep breath and jumped in.  While inside, he swung his sword in random patterns trying to hit anything he could.  Finally, he hit something that could kill the dragon.  he hit one of the dragons lungs. As the dragon tried to breath blood started to fill in to other lung so he couldn't.  While Bell was trying to find his way out the dragon was suffocating. When Bell found his way out of the dragon it had fallen over dead. He was so happy that he had done something heroic for once.  He needed proof that he killed the dragon, so he took both of its eyes.
When he got back from his journey he went straight for the Palace.  When he got there he was met by the knights that called him a coward.  They stopped him and took his stuff until they looked inside his bag to see the pair of eyes staring at them.  The one dropped the bag and ran away like a scared little girl.  The other two that were beside him ran after him. Bell picked up his bag and keep walking to the throne room. 
When he got there he met the King's gaze and gave a friendly gesture.  He reached into the bag and pulled out the eyes.  The King looked pleased. The King promoted Bell to knight first class and gave him a new home to stay in. Bell was also was pleased and went to his new home.

                 
 


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this paper is the due date.