The Imaginary Friend | Teen Ink

The Imaginary Friend

November 12, 2015
By Anonymous

Thomas, a 13 year old boy was playing on the monkey bars of a playground at this new park he just found. He was having such a good time. He was laughing and running around with his dad. While on the monkey bars, one of the bars was wet and Thomas slipped, falling off smack dab on his right arm in a direction totally opposite of where it should be. Thomas’ life flashed before his eyes. He saw the ground, his arm, the hospital, and a man. It all happened in one second. In the flash of an eye. Right after Thomas hit the ground, all he could feel was pain. In his back, his head, and his arm. His dad ran over to him as fast as he could. He picked him up and quickly rushed him to the hospital and the doctors fixed his arm up. Nothing was broken fortunately but his arm was paralyzed. He couldn’t move his arm unless they put a brace in there that would help his arm move. Thomas’ arm had a big cast over it. It was also hanging from Thomas’s neck so that his arm could rest at a comfortable position. The doctor that worked on him was also a scientist. He wanted to test something he’d been working on. It was basically like a portable computer that you wore. Except he implanted it into the brace in Thomas’s arm. The computer had a special graphics add-on which allowed the computer display to be holographical which only Thomas could see with a special contact lense they gave him. But the computer could be much more. It could turn into a human like form. Kind of like an artificial intelligent robot.  

While Thomas was walking to school, ‘he’ appeared.     “Hey. Whats up? How’s it going? My name is Loader, that's what you will call me, ok? Got that?” Said Loader.     “What!? Who are you? Or, what are you!?” Said Thomas in shock and excitement. His appearance didn’t have any color. He was wearing what looked to be like jeans, but Thomas couldn’t make it out because he didn’t actually have any color. He was also wearing a vest, a t-shirt, and a jacket. He had converse shoes that were almost fully covered by his jeans.     “Did you not hear me before? My name is Loader. I'm a holographical artificial intelligence robot that follows you wherever you go. Except for… the bathroom. Of course. That doesn’t sound creepy. That's not creepy. No, not at all. Why would it be creepy? heh… heh… Um. Yah. So i’m supposed to help you, or something like that, like if you ever need help with something, you can call me and I will be there to help you with whatever it is.”     “Is there anything else you can do?” Asked Thomas.     “It's all on the computer in your hand.”     “Oh you mean this thing.” Said Thomas as he brought up the computer so he could see the desktop screen with all of his apps that were pre-installed into the computer.     “So my first procedure of the day is to show what you’re doing today at school. Well first you have math, then you’re doing football in PE, then you have brunch time, social studies, science, lunch time, band, and then language arts.”     “Awesome. I can’t wait to see how it will turn out.” Exclaimed Thomas, as he walked into the gates of school.

Thomas attended to his normal school day. Occasionally he would look over to see what Loader was doing. Sometimes he was just standing there, sometimes Loader would sit on top of people's desks. Thomas was confused at what he was doing.     “Get off of there!”  Yelled Thomas.     “NO! I'm a hologram that only you can see. I can’t get in trouble cause no one can see me!” Thomas kept to his business so that he wouldn't get off track. When Thomas had a hard time on a question, Loader would help him figure it out. So Thomas went on with the rest of the day. When it was brunch time, Thomas showed Loader all of his friends. It was as if Loader had mixed emotions about each one. Some of Thomas’s friends, Loader liked and some, Loader hated some. If Loader ever needed to talk to Thomas, Thomas would talk to him, but to Thomas’s friends, it seemed like he was talking to himself.     “Uhh, Thomas, who are you talking to?” Asked one of Thomas’s friends.      “No one. Just ignore me. Just thinking out loud!” Yelled Thomas. So Thomas’s friends ignored it. But in their minds they thought he was acting very strange.     “What are you having for lunch today?” Asked Loader.
“Some slices of pizza from this italian place I went to last night with my dad. I also have some potato chips, a bottle of water, and that’s it. I think?” Said Thomas, as he searched through his lunch bag. After lunch, Thomas went to band class, and then for his last period, he went to language arts. They were writing narratives that day. After language arts, he walked home and did his homework while Loader helped him. After, Thomas went to go play on his computer with his friends until his bedtime.

While Thomas was walking to school, Loader said there was some kind of update he needed to work on, so Loader de-pixelated and started updating Thomas’s arm. Later when Thomas opened up his computer, the Loader he met wasn’t there any more. There was a new one that looked totally different. His voice was different, and so was his personality. “Hello! How’s it going!?” Said the new loader. “Wait what. Where’s Loader!?” Said Thomas confused. “I am Loader! Ohhhhh! You mean the other Loader. Yah. That was the first version.” “Hold on what? There’s 2 versions!?” “Oh, no, there isn’t just 2 versions, there's 10!” “Well i'm sorry to say this, I really don’t want to be rude but… I kind of want the old version back.” “Well sorry, but every single time you get older, a new version of us Loaders spawn.” Wait, but it’s not my birthday. Nor is it even close to my birthday.” “Really? That's really weird. There must have been a glitch with the system.” Thomas stood there confused more than he’s ever been. Thomas felt another weird tingly feeling and then the first Loader, the one the first met, appeared. “Oh hey Thomas, i'm back!” Said the first Loader. “Wait how is this possible!?” Exclaimed the second Loader! “Wait, what!!! God, im so confused… how are you here, there should only be one Loader at a time.” Thomas was so confused, he had to sit down on a bench just to comprehend all of the weirdness that was going on. “There must have been a glitch in the system.” Said Loader ver. 2. “Oh, of course.” Mumbled Loader ver. 1 under his breath. “Well there's really nothing we can do about it. “First we will need a name for each of you. You will be Ver. 1, and you will be Ver. 2!” Said Thomas. “Alright!” Yelled both versions.

After school, both the Loaders said they were getting a strong signal from a nearby area. “We have to go check it out!” Said Ver. 1. Thomas and the 2 generations biked over to the area. It was an old field that onced had houses built, but they decided to tear it down. In the blink of an eye, a portal appeared. Again there was another version of the Loaders. This time, he was old with a coat on and glasses. He had a voice that Thomas could recognize from some kind of T.V show, but he couldn't figure it out. “Another one! Why is there another one!?” “Greetings! My name is Loader! But you probably already know that considering that fact that you already have 2 different versions of them with you!” Said the new Loader. “Let me guess? You’re the third one?” Asked Thomas. “No, actually. I'm not. I'm the 10th one.” “So, then where are the other ones?” “Well considering the fact that there are two different generations with you at the same time, i'm probably the last one to be here. As there is a break in the timeline. A glitch happened in a timeline causing the “Loader change” to happen early, but causing the first version to stay. Which led to there being two different Loaders with you at the same time. That shouldn’t be happening. But now i'm here so you have 3 different Loaders with you.” “So then why didn’t the third generation show up?” “That's what i’m here to figure out. But really, that’s not the main reason why i’m here.” “Then what's the real reason?” “Thomas, your world is in great danger.” “Huh?” The 10th generation brought up a 3d hologram of a odd object. “This is the rift. It’s basically a portal to a train station. But it’s not a train station. You see, when you enter the rift, you’re teleported to this area where you have the option the enter a bunch of other dimensions. It’s the transportation for dimension travelers.” “So where’s the part where my world is in danger?” “The rift is powered by an ancient statue called the keystone. The keystone is so powerful, that if it was ever lost into the hands of the wrong person, it could collapse a whole dimension. Or worse. Every dimension. Someone is planning to take the keystone, and use it to destroy earth. We have to stop him!” “Look, I appreciate the opportunity for all these quests, but I have a question. Why me? Look, i'm just a 13 year old kid who paralyzed his arm and had to have this bracelet put into his arm, but now I have a whole computer attached to me, and 3 different holograms following me around. Now we're going to different dimensions and stopping a ‘bad guy’ from taking some powerful statue to destroy the earth. This is so cliche. It’s like any other superhero book or movie i’ve read, or seen. I thought that after getting this bracelet, I can just go back to my normal life of going to school everyday. My whole life pretty much literally spun around ever since my accident.” “Because we are the only ones who can handle the power that the keystone holds. That's why we need to go to Dimension X to get the keystone. And we need to hurry before he gets it first.” Said Ver. 10. “Who is he?” Asked Thomas. “His name is ‘The Gladiator.’ He’s like a cloud. His appearance is like a shadow, but he can turn his shape into anything.” “So now, we just have to venture to a totally different dimension, grab this… keystone thingy, and bring it back here so that he can’t steal it.” “Yah, sounds good? Ok good. Let's go!” Yelled Ver. 10.

They ventured off to the summoners cave, which was conveniently close. Once they got the rift portal up they jumped into the rift. Thomas couldn’t believe his eye. It was a whole new world that no one had ever heard of. Or been to. It was cold and chilly. In the rift were weird monsters and beings Thomas had never thought would even exist. Some of them were tall, and some were small with long legs. Some of them smelled bad, and some were wacky and crazy looking. “So… where do we go?” Asked Thomas. “We follow the sign to Dimension X. It should be just up ahead.” Said Ver. 10. Thomas and the rest followed up the path. A man walked up to them straight in their path, blocking the way to the dimension. “Oh hey! Loader! My old friend how are you doing!” Said the man. “Oh Bob! Long time no see, am I right!” Said Loader Ver. 10. Little did the rest of them know, Bob actually was once a guard to Protect Dimension X. “I… like your name…” Said Thomas. There was a long pause after that. It was very awkward for them. “So… what brings you to the rift again?” Asked Bob. “Well ok, so we kinda need to go to Dimension X to get the keystone to stop The Gladiator from using its power to destroy the world. And every other dimension here.” Said Ver. 10. “Well, yknow it says not to travel there, it’s really really dangerous there. Do you remember? I used to guard that place. Then I found out all the secrets behind it, so I quit.” Said Bob as he shrugged. “Please Bob, we need to get in there! If we don’t, our world, your world, the rift, and every other dimension here is going blow up. I'm the only one who can handle the Keystones power!” Yelled Ver. 10. “And what if the keystone is even still there, if you take it, the whole rift will close until you put it back.” Said Bob. “I dunno, just look Bob, we need to get the keystone fast, please let us through!” Said Ver 1. “Ok, ok. I’ll let you through. Just please. Be careful.” Said Bob as the 4 entered the Dimension. Dimension X’s only purpose was to hold the keystone. There wasn’t much to look at other than a cave. As they turned the corner they saw the pedestal. Nothing was there.

“It’s gone!” Yelled Ver. 10. They ran back into the portal to the rift. It was chaos. Everyone was running back into different portals. Since the keystone had already been stolen by The Gladiator, the rift was starting to fall apart. Buildings were breaking, fires were starting. People were everywhere in fright. “Wh-where do we go!” Yelled Thomas. “We have to find our way outta here. We have to find our portal. The one that leads back to our world!” Yelled Ver. 2. In front of them were only two ways to run up ahead. Through the fire, or up the stairs of a building and onto the roof. Ver 2 and Ver 10 ran into the building up the stairs and jumped out of a window onto another roof. Thomas and Ver 1 ran towards the fire. Thomas jumped into the air, but he landed too early. A part of his foot burnt a little when he landed from the fire. A whole front wall of a building fell right before Thomas. He jump-lunged over the fallen wall, somersaulting upon landing on the ground. He got back up and kept running. It was hard to run for him, as the whole floor was shaking. Kind of like an earthquake. But much worse. He’d never experienced something like it before. While all that was happening, behind them, were ver 2 and ver 10. They had ran into the building up the stairs, through the window and onto the other roofs. As they kept running, more and more of the roof was breaking, and falling apart. Right behind them. Ver 2 ended up falling off when the whole roof collapsed. He landed on his leg, but he got up and continued to run, eventually catching up to Thomas and Ver 1. Ver 2, was limping, and running slow which caused him to fall behind, but managed to keep up with them. “Why are you limping!?” Yelled Thomas. “I- I fell through the roof. I’ll be fine!” Yelled Ver 2. It was hard for them to hear with all the falling buildings around them, and the screaming of interdimensional monsters scrambling to escape the falling rift. Ver 10 eventually was able to get off of the buildings, and catch up to them. They kept on running until they got close. Up ahead was Bob down on the floor, with his hand over his chest. Ver. 10 yelled to him. “Bob, are you alright! Wha- what happened here!?” “Th- The Gladiator had the keystone the whole time. The rift! It's falling apart. You need to get out of here. I’ll be fine. I’ll use one of the emergency suits over there.” Said Bob as he pointed over to an area. The four helped him up, and ran back into their world. The Gladiator was there, with the keystone and everything. “Oh-my-god! It’s bigger than anything i’ve ever seen.” Yelled Thomas almost fainting. “Alright, the keystone is already in his possession, so plan B. Take him down!” Yelled Ver. 10. “HOW!” Yelled Ver 2. “The void dimension. If we can somehow get behind it, and summon it, we might be able to push him in. But just before that, we grab the keyston-” Said Ver. 10 as he was interrupted. “Alright sounds like a good plan!” Yelled the others as they rushed into The Gladiator. “Wait! There was more important information. You need to know!” Yelled Ver. 10. The Gladiators appearance was like a cloud. A dark stormy cloud. His physical form was a giant monster, with 2 bloodshot eyes, big hands, and an enormous body. The other 2 Loaders distracted The Gladiator as Thomas attempted to sneak behind him. As The Gladiator moved around, his giant hands would occasionally smash the wall, causing small ruptures in the ground, as rocks from the wall fell down onto the ground like an avalanche. It got harder for the four of them to see everything, because when the rocks hit the ground, all the dust was flying everywhere. One of the Gladiators hands hit Thomas. He flew back onto his butt. Ver. 10 ran over to help Thomas as he brought himself up. Thomas’s face was dirty with a few scratches but he was fine after he got up. Again, they tried over and over again. Each time, it got harder for The Gladiator to not notice Thomas running behind him. Eventually they were able to get one corner setup. The Gladiator  was breaking apart his form to make little cloud monsters that would fight for him. The Gladiator finally was too distracted with all of the fighting going on around him. While Thomas was setting up in the back, the Loaders were fighting the little monsters. They punched and kicked them until they disappeared. Thomas had grabbed one the vines that was attached to the ceiling of the cave. Her swung himself around and eventually got enough motion to swing into the Gladiators face. He kicked him, but only causing him to move back a little. Thomas was able to set up the remaining corners. Right as the portal to the void opened, Thomas was flung back into the rocks of the cave. The other two Loaders had fallen on the ground. Defeated. Right as Thomas hit the floor, The Gladiator picked up Ver. 10 in his hands. He was stuck in the tight, painful grasp of The Gladiator’s hands. It was all up to Thomas to save them.

As Thomas got back up again, he saw that Ver. 10 was stuck in the hands of The Gladiator. “Oh no Loader! We have to help you-” Yelled Thomas. “No. Don’t. Please. I don’t need to you to save me. Everything is under control.” Said Ver. 10 in a soft sad voice. “Wha- what are you talking about. We need to get you outta there!” Yelled Thomas. “Thomas. I wanted to say, before you guys rushed The Gladiator. Someone has to close the portal. You guys can’t be here when I do. That's why, I need you to push the Gladiator, along with me, into the void so I can close the portal.” “No. I can’t do that, it-it will kill you, i’ll lose you. No, i'm not going to do that.” Thomas. You have to trust me. Please. I beg of you. You have to push me and the Gladiator in the void!” Thomas was crying now. His eyes were all wet from tears. They were rolling down his cheek. he fell on his knees. Breaking down. His shirt was getting wet. He wiped some away with his arm. It was soaked in tears. Inside, Thomas’s heart felt like it was burning up into little pieces. It felt odd to him, as Thomas had never felt the despair of losing someone before. “Thomas. It’s okay. You have to trust me. You need to believe in me. None of this will matter if we are all dead.” Said Ver. 10 in another soft voice. Thomas was still on his knees, looking up at Loader, clamped in The Gladiator’s hands, crying, sobbing. Thomas got up regained his energy and got back up. “Goodbye.” Said Thomas. Thomas ran over to the other two Loaders, picked them up, ran, and shoved him and Ver. 10 into the portal. His last three words were, “I… Love… You…” Loader closed the portal, and he and The Gladiator fell into the void. As soon as Thomas knew it, He was gone. Thomas and the others ran, in the opposite direction, as a big explosion happened. It didn’t destroy anything, but rather, blew up in loud noises, and radiation. Thomas knew. That day. He lost a friend.

[October 29th, 2017] One year after all of Thomas’s adventures.
“So. What happened after that.” Asked a mysterious man in a suit and mask. “Well. After that, we grabbed the keystone that fell out of The Gladiators hand when we pushed him, and brought it back to Dimension X. Then the rift opened back up. And then, turns out. Since Loader Ver. 10 was gone, the two versions, would cease to exist. I said my goodbyes to them. One last time. And that was it. Everything went back to normal. Just how I wanted it to be. But of course here I am today. You kidnapped me. Started asking me about my whole adventure with them. Let me ask you a question though. Who are you. Why are you doing this to me. And that suit you're wearing. It looks familiar.” Said Thomas. “I did this to you, so I could learn the truth.” Said the man. “The truth about what!? I got some questions, and I want answers. I mean you literally kidnapped a 14 year old kid, so that you could ask me a bunch of questions about my life. That’s illegal. I’m pretty… sure.” “You’re clearly not afraid of me. If you were, you would’ve tried to run by now. Or at least call for help.” “You make a good point. Look, you obviously know who I am. You wouldn’t be doing this if you didn’t. So just… no more games. Tell me… who are you. And why.” “I was there. I was there, when you pushed him into void. I saw it. But I could not believe it. I saw the betrayal. After all you four had been through, you just pushed him in. Now, he’s gone forever. I let you guys through. Into Dimension X. Without the authorities. I let you risk your life. To save someone else’s. Only… to be betrayed. You asked earlier… Who I am. And why did I do this. The answer is simple. To learn the truth.” He took off his mask. Only to reveal that it was Bob. 

“Bob! But-but how! I mean, why!” Yelled Thomas. “After The Gladiator got a hold of the keystone, and you guys made it over to your Dimension, I grabbed one of those suits, and found this mask. And made it back to safety. Then I went to check up on you four to see what was going on. Right at that moment, is when I saw you push my friend, into a void. Then you left. And I was never able to find you. So then I started my search for you. I searched for you. To learn the truth. About why you pushed my friend into that void.” Said Bob. “Hey. I… I didn’t want to push him in. I didn’t have a choice. He had to close the portal himself. He sacrificed himself to save the world, and possibly every other dimension out there. Your friend did a good thing. I'm sorry you lost him.” said Thomas. “ I… know now that it is not your fault.” Said Bob. Bob lifted his arm. In his hand was a small cube with odd writing on it. “What is this?” Asked Thomas. “This. This is a chip I saved. It has all the data for Loader on it. If you take it, you can install it again. You can go back. And live your life with Loader again without having to go on a crazy adventure again. Or you can choose to leave it here with me. Where it will be safe. Thomas ended up taking the cube with the chip inside. He didn’t install it. But rather sat it next to his bed, on his nightstand. Where he would look at it every night. And remember the time, he went on a crazy adventure to save the world with his friends.