THE SACRIFICE | Teen Ink

THE SACRIFICE

November 18, 2015
By ThisIsPuGGy SILVER, Yokohama, Other
ThisIsPuGGy SILVER, Yokohama, Other
9 articles 0 photos 7 comments

A dream can be a dream but a dream can happen in real life.
I dreamed that the Greek wisdom goddess, Athena, led me out of the labyrinth and said, "At every entrance, there is always an exit."
Before I said something, a growl made the goddess vanish and something or someone howled, "Stephano, wake up!"
My eyes sprang open. In front of me was my friend, holding a lantern.
"Sorry Midas, friend,” I said as I sat up, rubbing my eyes. They stung for some reason until I remember that my enemies from the International School Of Madrid punched me in the eye and got suspension.
“Can you stop calling me friend," Midas said scornfully. “Please. I just don’t like that word.”
“Why? Why don’t you like that word, friend?”
“Shut up.”
“Ok,"I sighed as I got up. I took the lantern from Midas and checked my surroundings. We became silent. AlI I could hear was was some water dripping from the walls.
“And this is YOUR fault that we are lost in this cave”, Midas said as he glared at me. I kept silent. Yes, its true that its my fault that we are in this cave from the first place. So basically what happened is that our parents sent us out because we got bad grades. So we were outside in the rain, walking around until I found a cave. We Then decided to stay there until the rain stopped. But then I saw something in the dark and followed it. Midas told me to not follow it, but followed me, until we found ourselves lost in the cave.
“Ugh,” Midas said. “Thinking about being lost in this cave makes me feel even more scared.”
“Hey, calm yourself down," I said even though I sound pretty scared myself. “All we should do is to travel the cave. Ok?”
There was a moment of silence. Finally, Midas started to speak.
“I’m ok with that.” he mumbled. “But mind you, I have Decidophobia."
I cursed under my breath. Decidophobia is the fear of making decisions. Because of that, I probably need to make a lot of wise decisions to lead us out of this cave.
"L-let's just stay close together with a flashlight." I said, but I was stiffed out so my voice came out a octave higher.
"Fine with me."
His answer came out more panicky than mine.
But before I said anything, we heard a screech in the dark.
“What is it?” Midas cried as he hid behind me.
I was just stunned with fear. I felt like a blind person walking through the maze without help or support.
“Let's see, Midas friend. Let's see.”
“Ok, but for the last time, can you stop calling me FRIEND?!”
“Sorry. Lets move on.”
I followed the path of where the voice was coming from.
But someone stopped me.
“Heh, very funny Stephano, for making that noise.”
It was Midas.
“I don’t know what your talking about,” I said angrily.
“I mean that it is very obvious that it was YOU who made the noise.”
“I did not.”
“Did too.”
“Fine. While YOU stay here, I’ll go off by myself.”
As I followed the noise, Midas finally decided to follow me.
I also realized that there were two signs on the left and right. I guess someone has been here before. The one on the left says, “To Freedom,” and the other one (On the right) says, “To The Treasure”. Wait a minute. Did it just say TREASURE?
“Stop gawping like a monkey and concentrate,” Midas scolded,” We obviously take the way out of here, which is to freedom.”
I wasn’t listening to him. My mind is just totally obsessed on the gold, not to freedom. I literally feel like my mind is made of gold, and full of it. Midas then pinches me on the arm.
I somehow got back on track. I started to think carefully. Which is better. Finding themselves a way out of the cave, or find the treasure?
"What do you say, Midas, friend?"
“For the LAST TIME, WILL YOU STOP CALLING ME FRIEND?!”
“Sorry, I keep on forgetting. As I was saying, what path is more trustworthy to you?”
"I don't know, I think we should go to the Freedom spot, to avoid trouble, you know," he said, but I heard some greed in his voice.
"Well, we should de-"
Screech!
Another screech in the dark. This time louder. I heard it from the treasure path.
"Maybe," I said, "We should take the treasure path. Who knows what which path will lead to. Maybe these signs are distractions, like the movie we watched last week, Midas. Maybe both of them are traps. Maybe the treasure path is the right way out."
Midas slowly nodded his head.
Before he spoke, we heard another screech. A lot of screeches. Right behind us.
We turned around.
A lot of bats came charging in our way.
"Midas friend, run!" I screamed, as I turned off my flashlight and ran towards the treasure path. Midas doesn't need to be told twice. He didn’t even tell me to stop calling him friend. He followed me.
We came up to a rock and hid behind it. The bats ran past it. We were safe.
I sighed in relief. I got a bruise on my leg, but that's better than being chased all the way through the cave by bats.
"At least the bats are gone, right Midas friend?" I said.
No answer. Just the fading screeches of the bats.
"Midas?" I said as I turned around. He wasn't there.
I turned on the flashlight and looked around. No one. Not even a sound from the bats. But I saw something.
Caveman drawings.
On the walls, there are drawings of cave-men killing a horse, cave-men in war, and a lot more.
This was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. I took a few moments touching the drawing.
Then something caught my eye.
Someone was drawing on it. But no one was here. In my presence. I looked closely, and realized that someone is drawing an arrow, pointing left.
I looked left. Then I saw a dim light at the end of the tunnel. I followed it. More caveman drawings, and more light from the end of the tunnel.
Then I heard a voice. It came from the light. 
“-so I’m still wondering why you are in this cave the first place. When you told me that you woke up here lost, I don't believe it. This is MY cave, you know. I lived here for centuries. I even found it. This is my home. You don’t trespass at someone’s home. So until you tell me the truth, I will burn you…”
Then I heard screaming. The creepy part? It sounds exactly like Midas.
I ran towards Midas’s screaming, as my heart beats faster and faster. I came to the light. I hid behind a rock, and peeked over it.
I saw Midas tied up on a stone, screaming mercifully as he was struggling to be free. Below him was a flame. It was starting to get higher and higher. I need to save him. If I don’t, an innocent life is going to die.
I looked around. Then I saw a figure, with a black cloak on hitting the rocks with a stone. His face was covered. I didn’t know what he was doing. He was just smashing the rocks as hard as he can. Then I heard a rock fall down.
I froze. He is trying to destroy the cave. I looked at Midas, and waved my hand at him. He saw me, his eyes wide. He was trying to tell me something, but I mouthed the words calm down and he began to be calm.
I'm starting to feel the cave rumble. Two rocks fell right next to me. One almost hit Midas.
I grabbed a rock, which is pointy at one end and I headed towards the black figure. I took short and quiet steps as I came closer and closer to him until I was right behind him. I took a deep breath and hit the end of the rock as hard as I could on the back of his head.
He fell down. I saw a patch of blood on the pointy rock. but then I realized that that figure was immortal. It is impossible to kill him. The wound simply closed by itself. His blood was also not red like other humans, but yellow.
The figure quickly turned around and hit me in the shoulder. I let go of my rock. It hurt so much, that I was stunned for the next five seconds. Dumbfounded. I then started to rise.
I roared with anger and went up to him and slapped him. Then kicked him in the stomach. The figure dropped his rock with surprise.
I thought I was doing a good job until the man began to speak.
"My name is ______," He said. But for some reason, the figures name sounded like screeches and clucks. He continued speaking. “I’m a sacrificer.”
"What do you want?" I yelled.
He completely ignored me.
"Later on, one of you kids are going to face a pain you will regret for trespassing in my cave."
"Meh. Very funny. Now get lost."
The figure's growled angrily as his cloak sparked green.
"You shall regret this. But you are lucky. I say that you should find your way out of the cave,"
“Thanks for the advice, Beefy,” I said as I ran up to him, and punched him directly in the nose.
The figure winced as yellow blood fell from his nose. Then he waved his hand and disappeared into green smoke.
“Thank you for playing,” I said as I wiped the sweat off my face. Its good to show good manners.
I quickly ran to Midas and untied him. He was grumbling about how long it took for me to realize and save him.
"Who was that guy anyways?" Midas said as he rubbed the dirt off his jeans.
"I don't know, someone immortal, friend."
"You know what, the next time you call me friend, you will get punched on the face. On the happier note, let's escape."
We started to head towards the exit, until rocks slammed in front of it.
"Great," Midas said. "Now we are trapped. What do we do, Mr. Genius?"
I kept on wandering around the cave, avoiding the rocks until something caught my eye. A bag. The figure's bag.
I got his bag and looked inside. Inside, was military stuff like dynamites and guns. I passed them to Midas. But as I stuck my hand deeper in the bag, and I found nothing. Just more military weapons.
That must've meant that the treasure sign was a trap.
Suddenly, I heard an explosion. It was Midas, in front of a hole, leading back to where I found the cavemen drawings.
“What did you exactly do?” I demanded as I hung the bag on my shoulder.
“Making a way out of here, partner,” he said as a lot of rocks started to fall. “Do you want to get out of here?”
“Yeah, but-”
“No buts. Lets get out of here.”
I realized that he wasn’t the same old Midas he was supposed to be, but I didn’t have time to think about that.
We ran to the exit, and as I looked over my shoulder, I saw the exit blocked by a huge rock. The whole cave is starting to fall apart.
We ran everywhere, trying to avoid dead-ends and rocks falling down.
“Midas?” I said, as we ran.
“Yeah?”
“Well, if we die in this cave, it was great knowing you.”
He didn’t answer, but the smile on his face told me the answer. But as I saw him smile, we ran into a dead-end.
“Thank you for distracting me, Mister.”
“Don't mention it, Midas friend,” I said.
“Stop being annoying.”
We went back and ran as fast as we can. Rocks are starting to fall chaosly. One almost crushed me flat. If we end up in one more dead-ends, we are highly likely to be dead.
Suddenly, I saw a dim light at the end of the cave. It was the exit! I quickly raised my speed. Midas did the same thing. But as we were about exit the cave, I saw a rock fall in front of the entrance.
“NO!” I screamed, as I hurled Midas to the entrance. He had a shocked impression on his face, and he was about to hit me, until he was outside. I was on my stomach, and I was about to get up until something smashed onto my leg. Midas was shocked and called for help as I screamed and fell unconscious.

?????

When I came back to conscious, I found myself on a bed. My body was aching so I had trouble moving myself. I looked right. There was a table with flowers on it. One had a letter saying “Get Well Soon, Man.” There was a balloon stuck to the table. On the left, there was a window.
I am in the hospital.
Suddenly, I remember about the rock slamming on my leg. I quickly looked around myself, and took a look at my left leg. I winced.
My leg was gone, covered by a bloody patch. I started to feel shocked until a voice said, “Serve you right.”
I looked up. I saw my mom, looking at me with a cross look.
I smiled and said, ”Hey mom.”
“What did you think you were doing?” my mom yelled angrily.
“Exploring the cave. I have lots to tell you.”
“You could’ve gotten yourself killed! Even the nurse said that if Midas call for help in thirty minutes, you would’ve died!”
“She’s just being sarcastic.”
Then a voice buts in.
“I’m serious, Mr. Milano.”
It was a nurse, who just came in now with a couple of x-ray pictures.
I laughed.
But the nurse sounded very stern.
I stopped laughing.
...And then I took a minute to think what happened to me and Midas. All the pain we suffered, all the teamwork we’ve done.
...And then I smiled again.

 

As I smiled, I couldn't help thinking.
I’m glad to be alive.


The author's comments:

THIS IS ABOUT two boys stuck in a cave, finding their way out...