A Good Gamble | Teen Ink

A Good Gamble

By Brianna1901 BRONZE, Riverside, California
Brianna1901 BRONZE, Riverside, California

A Good Gamble

Toni Devito was a rich guy. His name represents a wealthy/stylish person. He was also my father. He was a great person and loved his family. My father didn’t have a dad. When he was born on March 19,1962 his dad was never there for him. His mom was also a drug addict. His mom took care of him for a while but she suddenly stopped feeding him and the neighbors called the police and CPS. The mom was arrested for child abusement. Toni had two options. He could either go into foster care or his grandma can take him in. Toni was four years old. His mother overdosed and died. My great gramma was respected by my father. He washed dishes, cleaned the hose, washed her car and even did the laundry. Gramma would take him to the store and meet her friends. The ladies got together with all their sons and introduced them to each other. Val was a tall,skinny,muscular and husky with light brown eyes. Val always had a decent combover. Sunny had curly hair like noodles. He was so scrawny looking it was like he didn’t eat at all. Lorenzo was chubby and had light brown hair. He had several dog tags around his neck. As a group they wore the same fashion, tuxedos,ties,dress shoes and fedoras. Under their jackets were gun holsters. Sunny and Val had their guns on their sides. Lorenzo kept his gun in his car under his seat. My father kept hand two one on each side of his ribs. The only person in the group that had a girlfriend or wife was my father. My mother, Teresa Gomez now know as Teresa Devito was a beautiful, subtle woman. She has greenish blue eyes and lips a shade of pink. Her hair was dark as the night sky and fleecy like a rabbit’s fur coat. My mother was pregnant at age 22 and i was finally born on January 27th,1984. A year before things turned.

“Teresa you know that I gamble to provide for you.” Toni stated. “Everything I do is for you and only you. The money I get puts food on the table for us.” Teresa’s eyes were crimson and aqueous.

In a shaky manner she replied, “But gambling is trouble. What happens when you can’t pay off Alex’s men? What if it’s a lot of money you owe? What are you going to-”

“Teresa i am careful. Nothing is going to go wrong” Toni interrupted.

Wiping her tears away, Terea turns and walks toward her bedroom. Before she can get to the door, Toni hollers for her to stop.She looks over her shoulder, turns her body around and catches her breath. She sighed in tiredness and rubbed her temples.

In a soft voice she said “I’m pregnant.”

A tear fell from her eye as she walked into her bedroom and closed the door. Toni’s mouth dropped as if he saw a ghost. He stood as if Medusa turned him into stone. Finally, catching his thoughts he grabbed the keys to his green 1983 Buick. As he drove he chewed on a toothpick and stuck his hand out the window to feel the cool breeze. He picked up Lorenzo and Sunny and met Val at a gambling building. Val was leaning on his blue 1983 Cadillac. As Toni rolled up Sunny stuck his body out the window yelling at Val. Everyone shook hands and asked how everyone was doing. Val asked Toni how Teresa was.

“She’s pregnant,” he said.

Everyone opened their eyes wide like cartoon character would.

“Well look at the bright side, you will either have a son or daughter,” Sunny stated. Toni smiled and walked into an abandoned building with taggings on the side of the wall. The guys followed and sat at a table. One of Alex’s men, James was sitting at the table. He asked Toni if he had the money. Toni said no. James brought his gun out and pointed at him. The friends pulled out all of their guns. James chuckled lightly and told them to get out. They walked out together still pointing their guns at each other.

“What money Toni,” Val said.

Turning around walking away slowly Toni said, “I owe half a million dollars to Alex.” Toni slammed his hand on his car. Dammit he thought. Val looked at him and eyed him. Coming down the street he saw two pull holding guns and yelled for everyone to duck. Quickly they ducked behind Toni’s car and held there guns tightly. The two men in the black 1983 Cadillac brought out their pistols ready to shoot. Sunny looked over Toni’s and saw Ricky and Ramon shooting. He saw them holding a bottle with a rag hanging out. Sunny squinted his eyes to get a better view and noticed it was a molotov. “They have a molotov we need to run before they throw it this way!” Sunny yelled. The molotov was thrown and the friends ran. Spinning in the air the molotov quickly made its way through the air and hit Toni’s car setting it on fire. The fire spread like ants. Ricky yelled out to Toni to meet at the park in an hour and that Alex would be waiting for him. Toni leaned his head back.

“Val take us home and we meet in the park.” Lorenzo said catching his breath.

Val dropped Sunny and Lorenzo off. Toni looked out the window while biting his nails. Val slowly pulled over to the side in front of Toni’s house. The brakes squealed as the car came to a halt.

“Teresa is up.” Toni murmured. Val looked out and saw the lights on and hit Toni’s shoulder.

“Remember you worked extra shifts to get Teresa that diamond ring. You never stopped working and you never talked to us.” Val reclaimed.

“I remember you guys also helped me propose.” Toni stated. He sighed and looked down thinking about everything that happened in his life.

“Get out my car and i will pick you up in thirty minutes,” Val stated. Toni got out and closed the car door. He walked up to the door and the door opened. Teresa was standing at the door. Her belly looked like she was going to pop.

“Your belly wasn't that big before. How is that possible?” Val said with confusion.

“I’m always wearing your long t-shirts. Did you pay attention to that?” She exclaimed. He touched her belly and felt the baby kick his hand. Toni had asked so many questions and Teresa would answer.

Toni asked, “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

Teresa sighed and sobbed, “I thought you didn’t want a child so I just kept to myself.” Toni hugged her and she cried and he used his thumbs to wipe her tears away.

In a cheerful voice he said, “Babe I want a child. Matter of fact I want our child. Whether it's a boy or girl I will be here with you and i will stay up all night taking care of the baby so you can rest. I love you with all my heart and I will never stop loving you…..ever.”

Outside the squeal of brakes were heard. Teresa looked up in fear.

“Who is here?,” she said.

“Its just the guys,” Toni said.

Toni walked to the door and Teresa insisted he should stay with her but he refused. He opened the door, kissed her forehead and walked to the car. In the car the guys were reloading their weapons making sure they were ready for Alex. They pulled into the parking lot for the park. Waiting for Alex they double checked their guns. Once they saw seven 1983 black Buicks they put their guns away. The street lamps were buzzing and crickets were chirping. Alex got out of the car and all his men came out. Ricky, James and Ramon stood behind Alex.

“I see you didn’t bring my money. I guess the message wasn’t clear enough.” Alex stated in a serious tone.

Toni snapped and said, “It's not your money. No one likes you Alex. You are a phony and you-” Alex clicks his tongue and shakes his finger. “Where are your manners? I am boss. I control everyone.” Toni noticed that some of Alex’s men started looking at him with confusion. Some actually walked away. “There are more men on my side then on yours.” Alex had interrupted. “So since you didn’t bring my money were going to teach you a lesson.” The three guys standing behind Alex brought out their guns and aimed at the friend.

With a serious face Alex instructed, “Kill them.”

The friends pulled out their guns and started firing at the four people left. Sunny dodged bullets and ducked behind cars. Val fired like crazy and made sure he hit. Ricky and Ramon ran for cover. After an hour, police and ambulance rushed to the scene and investigated. Four bodies were taken to the morgue and four people were taken to the hospital in critical condition.

I was inspired to write this because back in the 1900's people were always thinking about money and how they owned everything. Movies sometimes invovle money and guns so i created my own story.