The End But Also Not | Teen Ink

The End But Also Not

July 15, 2015
By EmerieMoon BRONZE, Goose Creek, South Carolina
EmerieMoon BRONZE, Goose Creek, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I'm the image of deception." -Marina and the Diamonds


Swift was always calm. Always. So, it was extremely unsettling to see him crying now. I just watched as tear after tear slipped out of his eyes as I tried to think of what could possibly have made him sad. We were at his skatepark, the only place that could ever make him happy and Swift was crying. The low rumble of cars passed overhead. Valley Swift Skatepark was right under the bridge. A horn honked above and I jumped. Swift didn't move. He must have been used to it by then. He sniffled as he tried to keep snot from dripping from his nose. He wiped it away with the sleeve of his shirt and I would've been absolutely disgusted if it had been a month ago. God, a month ago things were so different. A hacking sound disturbed me on my left. Swift was sobbing again. Blonde hair shielded his face from me.

"What's up man? What's with you?" I asked. Even my vocabulary is different. Swift just looked at me as though he hadn't known that I was there.

"It's Kenja. She- she's- oh god." Swift proceeded to bang his head on the steering wheel and sob. An angry, twisting knot had formed in my stomach. Before I knew it, I was out of the car and halfway down the street. I could hear Swift calling after me but I ignored him. I ignored the man yelling at me for bumping into him. I ignored the baby crying after I gave her the nastiest look I could muster. I was mad. I was angry. So, I do what I always do. I run. My shoes slap the sidewalk and my breaths become shorter, raspy. With every pound of my racing heart my thoughts protruded my mind.

Dead, dead, dead.

I needed to stop my mind. The words didn't make sense. I ran faster. My thoughts not only matched the pace but exceeded it.

Dead, dead, dead.

Kenja is dead. No. Kenja is... Amazing. She's invincible. Dead, dead, dead. There's no way that she could be-

"Rhya!" A voice screamed from behind me. I searched for the owner. There were benches, bushes, people, and dogs everywhere. I'm in the park. At dusk. Crap.

"Rhya!" The voice called again. It brought dread into my heart. I turned around slowly.... Right into the barrel of a gun.