Bus Ride Letters | Teen Ink

Bus Ride Letters

By Jennxferr SILVER, Santa Cruz, California
Jennxferr SILVER, Santa Cruz, California

dear boy on the bus,
you had sweat on your face. don’t worry, it wasn’t an excessive amount, but enough to make me notice the unnatural sparkle on your face. were you running? school just ended, though. and your eyes were shut most of the time. i wish i knew what was playing behind those eyelids of yours; what was making you not want to look at anything and keep a constant scowl. it was clear you wanted to rest your head against the window, but something was making you sit with your back against the chair completely, hovering over those flowers in your hands. it was entertaining to watch, really, you kept bouncing between those two. i guess you must have been tired. it’s okay; i had a tiring day too. when your eyes weren’t closed, they were staring down at those flowers you were holding. those must have been for your girlfriend. i bet she’s a lovely lady and i bet she’s very happy with you. any girl would be lucky to be with you. were those for an occasion like your guys’ anniversary or was it just to surprise her? i wonder what you would look like with a smile on your face replacing that scowl. i bet it would be enough to get any girl you could want. i’m not shallow, but i can admit that i was lucky to sit beside someone who wasn’t unattractive. it’s not exactly an easy thing to do; to not be the slightest bit uncomfortable sitting beside someone you don’t know considering where we live. so thanks for offering me the seat, i guess.
love,
the girl on the bus

dear girl on the bus,
i think it was your birthday today. i noticed the small cupcake bag dangling from the tips of your fingers. you were also rubbing the rope between two fingers on your other hand as if you were anxious to get home. you were falling asleep for the first few minutes of the ride, but you gave up after a while. the shaking made it impossible. your hair was scattered all along the bus seat. some pieces were even on my arm, but i didn’t mind. i was able to notice the golden glow they gave off when they were in light. you had your hair completely out of your face, revealing your tired eyes. a pout was pulling your lips down as you looked out the window along the other side. if you wanted a window seat, you should’ve asked. i would’ve immediately given you my seat. it was as if you were deep in thought. something tells me that you were thinking thoughtfully instead of thoughtlessly thinking. it was kind of cute, honestly, but if it was your birthday, i feel bad even though i don't know you; girls like you should not be upset. i wonder how old you’re turning. anyway, i wish you would have smiled. i bet that would have been a sight to see. happy birthday, i think.
sincerely,
the boy on the bus