Spine Trophies | Teen Ink

Spine Trophies

By readwritelive9464 BRONZE, Hollis, New Hampshire
readwritelive9464 BRONZE, Hollis, New Hampshire

"We live for books." Umberto Eco

The darkness swirls through the opening of the caves. Leeland sits in the corner. His blond hair is greasy and shadows over his face gently, twitching slightly as he carves out a new knife. His broad shoulders are hunched and he looks to be as foot shorter than when standing. My hair sweeps as I sneak a glance out of the cave, any other girl would become furious at the thought of their hair and their body being so dirty, but I don’t mind the filth. Just over the hilltop, an army of people emerge from the trees, carrying their snipers as they run. My breath catches in my chest and I freeze. The people are covered in black clothing. All top of the line. Military. Literally the Army. They are still looking for us.
I hiss at Leeland to come to towards me. He hops off of the rock in which he once sat and stands tall as he walks. He stops behind me and lays a hand on my back, searching to where I stare. His eyes widen and he grips his knife tightly. “I will make trophies of their spines,” he growls, whispering it into my ear.
My lip convulses and I take my hand-made bow, and the quiver filled with arrows, poison tipped. I stretch out my bow and lock an arrow into place. My back presses up against the cool rough rock. I release my hand, and the arrow slices through the air, and lodges itself into the chest of a soldier. Voices of frightened and angered men roar from down below. The bullets came next. Flying towards the rocks but never reaching me. The stone is impenetrable with modern-day bullets.
Then something happens. Shooting pain. Spitting blood. Dripping to the ground. Darkness. Darkness swirls through my head. I fall.