Love Birds | Teen Ink

Love Birds

May 21, 2015
By Nicole Leimkuehler BRONZE, Morrison, Mo, Missouri
Nicole Leimkuehler BRONZE, Morrison, Mo, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Love Birds
It was a rainy day. As Perry looked out the window, he couldn’t help but to think of his home in Madagascar and how bright, and sunny it was. Most importantly, he thought of Elise. She had the most beautiful color. She was pink with just a bit of green cascading around her wings. Sadly, he was far away from her, in fact, he was in New York. Perry didn’t like it there; he was kept in a cage, granted there was always food in his bowl, but that didn’t matter. He just wanted to see Elise again.
It has been five whole years since Perry got stolen from his home. The freedom that Madagascar holds is unbelievable, no humans live there, it’s peaceful. Suddenly he heard the door unlock and creak open. It was the human, she had red hair, and was as pale as a ghost. Perry really didn’t understand her, she would always go by the cage and speak to him. Almost like she wanted him to repeat what she was saying, he just thought she was irritating, and annoying.
Perry was going to plan his perfect escape and get back to Madagascar. The ghostly woman has the tendency of leaving the wired caged door only half latched, if he could just get the door open, and  bite through the screen window, he might be able to make it back to Madagascar, and Elise. The next morning just as Perry thought Mary had left the door half latched. He started to claw and bite at the door. Then the latch swung open, Perry was ecstatic! “He is for the home stretch now.”, he thought
He flew to the window, one by one he bite through the wire squares until the hole was big enough to fit through. “Now is the time”, he thought. He then slide through the wires. Next thing he knew he was out of that cramped apartment, and outside for the first time in five years. He could see all the buildings, they looked like tall geometric trees. As he flew, the freedom felt so refreshing. Perry started flying over the ocean, it was just as he remembered, beautiful.
He was growing tired, his wings felt almost numb, he has been flying for a whole day, he needed to rest. Eventually he saw a small island in the distance, he thought he should rest there just for the night. He was almost to the island, all he could think about was resting. Finally he made it, he saw a tall lanky tree to stay the night. He felt exhausted, but he knew it would be worth it in the end.  He just had to go a little further then he will be at Madagascar. As he sat there he felt a pain in his chest, he felt like something wasn't quite right, but it’s probably just nothing. His wings felt like they were burning. The pain just wanted him to push harder the next day.
The next morning was bright, the sun had just risen over the horizon. It seemed like a clear day, and his wings felt quite a bit better than they had the day before. He stretched and is just going to grab a couple worms, then leave. Perry landed on the ground but stumbled a little bit. “There!” he thought, it was a plump woodworm, he picked it up with his small but sharp talons. He raised the worm to his mouth, it tasted wonderful, much better than the seeds he had at the small  apartment.
He took off from the island,after an hour of flying, he is almost at Madagascar. A sharp pain arose in his chest once again, it didn't feel right. He just shook it off, he will worry about it later. He looked down at the beautiful, blue ocean and  saw a group of dolphins swimming in a group, they looked happy, like a family. Maybe he will start a family too someday. They disappeared from his view, but something else caught his eye. It was a storm, it looked like it would be pretty tough to fly through, but he wasn’t going to stop again. It would be pointless. He needs to just push through it, he is almost home. As he got closer to the storm it looked like a world of chaos, the sea started to become more rough and angry. The sky was a dark swirl of wind of lightning, and  thunder.
He was headed right into the storm, the wind pushed and pulled him around. Perry was struggling quite a bit, but this wasn’t going to stop him. He started to feel the sharp pain in his chest once again, but this time it was more agonizing. Almost nauseating. it had never felt quite this bad before. He started to cough, and his wings started to sting in pain. He couldn’t handle it anymore.He felt more exhausted, and couldn’t move. The gravity pulled him down, he was falling. He weakly looked up at the sky, he didn’t understand how something so chaotic looked so peaceful. The noise of the storm slowly ceased. He closed his eyes, he felt so relaxed. As Perry hit the salty blue water, all the pain he had felt before immediately stopped.
?Perry woke up, he didn't know where he was. It was dead silent, he couldn't even hear his heartbeat. He looked down, and saw Madagascar! It looked vibrant and green, with trees just beyond the beach. He wanted to fly down and see Elise! Wistfully he flew down and perched on a tree. As he looked over he saw Elise she was beautiful, just as he remembered her to be. She didn't see him, but that didn’t matter. Perry felt complete. He then started to fade away, his emotions were so calm and elated. Perry didn’t know where he was going, and he was okay with that.