Jack McCarther | Teen Ink

Jack McCarther

May 18, 2015
By Anonymous

BMX is a fun activity. Although it might be dangerous, BMX is a great way to get out and have some fun. Jackson McCarther is a modern day teen. He hangs out with friends, goes to school… You know, the average kid. There is just one slight thing that he sticks out in, and that's BMX. Jackson is one of the best BMX riders in Arkansas. He wishes one day to be just as good as Tony Hawk, but sometimes he doubts himself. Jack started BMX when he was 6, and when Jacob, his friend and him turned 10, Jack taught him how to BMX. Now they compete in in the same competitions. Jack may go through some problems through the way, but he learns to persevere and stay on the path to greatness.

It all started when he was six years old. Jack McCarther got out of bed one day and peeked out his window. And there were 2 guys with helmets on riding their bikes up and down the hills, REALLY FAST! Jack was mesmerized by how fast they were going, so he decided to save for 2 years and finally buy a really nice bike. He rode his bike every day. When he turned 9, he started to get really good and decided to do some tricks, and before he knew it, he was 10 and was really good. Jacob, his friend saw how good he was and asked is Jack could teach him. Jack taught him everything he knew and now they are 15 and are both very good. Jack has competed in 4 competitions and Jacob just competed in his first one, with Jack and placed 3, which was right under Jack.
Jacob lives in Arkansas with his mom, his dad, and his sister. They all live in a town-home. Luckily for Jack, Jacob is his next door neighbor. Today Jack just got some amazing news! He got asked to compete in junior state BMX competition. If he can place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd he goes to the state championship. Jack has been wanting to go to state, ever since he competed in his first competition. Jack went up to his dad in the family room watching television. His dad was so happy for him! And his mom was ready right next to his dad and didn't care much. Jack’s mom isn't that nice or supportive. She is that strict mom that makes sure you get all your homework done right when you get home and yells at you if you don't do something she asked you to do. Jack was really sad, and headed to school.
When Jack got home that day, he got right on his bike. He drove to Jacob’s house and they rode their bikes all the way to a big mud pit that was perfect for doing BMX. The mud was soft but not too soft so you can ride and still turn easily, and you can do flips. The reason why you can do flips in the pit, is because if you fall. It barely hurts. Jacob and Jack have been coming here since they were 12. They stayed out there for about 2 hours until it got boring. They rode back to their houses and went to play some PS4 in Jacob's house. After that day, Jackson decided to practice for the BMX meet in 2 days by himself over by the mud fields and then went home, ate dinner and got some sleep.
August 16th:
Jackson woke up that day feeling good. His big meet was today. This would decide if he is going to state to compete with some of the best 15-17 year old BMX riders in the world or have to wait until next year to start competing again. And it’s obvious that he wanted the first option to happen. After a 2 hour car drive, Jack reached his destination for the competition. He went over to their training area and trained for 30 minutes and then he was ready. He competed in 2 events. The trick even and the dirt jumping event. Jack was the 3rd competitor. The first 2 people went and then it was his turn. His heart was racing but he had confidence in himself. He got out by the giant hill, drove super-fast and in mid-air he flipped. He landed perfectly which landed him with a 27.5 out of 30. Then there was the dirt jumping event. Jack had to jump 15 big ramps of dirt. He competed against 11 other kids. The referee blew his whistle and the race began! Jack started in 8th with a bad but he got his groove back and luckily got in 3rd.

Jack got his results back the next week. He was so excited to figure out if he made it or not. He peeled the ceiling of the envelope, pulled out the paper, and………. He made it!!! Jack made it to the state championship!
10 DAYS LATER
Jack was training for him big meet, that if he wins he could be claimed as one of the best BMX riders in the world. His flight to Chicago for the big competition was in 2 hours and he had to train that whole time. After 1 hour and 30 minutes of training Jack got a text from Jacob who was in Chicago for vacation saying, “I MADE IT TO THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS”. And Jacob was already in Chicago so that would work out well. Jack was so excited so he congratulated and said, “I'll see you there” Jack got on his flight at 3:30 and then arrived at 4:30. First he got settled in his hotel and then he met up with Jacob. They decided to carpool to the meet because Jacob's dad was not going to be there in the first 30 minutes.
Jack and Jacob arrived at the competition pumped to win. They decided that whoever wins, that they will still be friends. Jack and Jacob were both competing in the same two competitions. The Trick event and the Dirt Jumping event. The first competition, the trick event went GREAT. Jack and Jacob both scored the same with a 28 out of 30. But the dirt jumping was the biggest competition. This competition picks who is one of the best. Some of the best kids in the state were there. The race started. Jacob started in 2nd and Jack was in 5th. They both went through 6 jumps flawlessly and then terror strikes. Jack flew in the air went backwards because of too much power and fell on his arm. He broke his arm. His mom and dad came running to him and so did the paramedics. If Jack's arm isn't broken they said that he can compete by himself for best time. But it was broken. He went into the locker room and was just laying down in bad pain. They put a cast on him and were about to send him home. When out of a sudden Jack spoke up and asked if he could still compete. The paramedics said it wasn't smart but it was up to his parents. At first his mom said no but then she realized that this whole time Jack has been chasing his dream she has been so discouraging and that he should be able to do what he wants. So he got out there with one broken arm and ran the time race. Everyone clapped as he went through it slowly and when he was done, everyone stood up and gave him a standing ovation.
Even though Jack was last and even though he couldn't go to nationals. Jack learned to persevere and days after the competition Jack got to meet Tony Hawk his idol. Jack lived life happy and got to know his mom a lot better.
THE END


The author's comments:

this piece is about a teen named jackson. He is the average kid except he is great at one thing, and thats BMX. I love basketball and want be in the pros, and the way i wrote this peice is that im jack and his BMX is my basketball.