The Most Dangerous Game, Continuation | Teen Ink

The Most Dangerous Game, Continuation

By juliedonovan_ GOLD, Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania
juliedonovan_ GOLD, Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania

"We accept the love we think we deserve." ~Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The General made one of his deepest bows. "I see," he said. "Splendid! One of us is to furnish a repast for the hounds. The other will sleep in this very excellent bed. On guard, "Rainsford."... He had never slept in a better bed, Rainsford decided.
He gave a victorious sigh that morning after defeating Zaroff in the battle of the survival of the fittest. He did not feel too pleased that two people were dead because of his doing, but he wanted to live, and he did what was necessary to do so.

****************
"Divine," said Rainsford, eating a cooked piece of jaguar he hunted with the remaining weapons that previously belonged to General Zaroff. The sun was just going down when he decided to go into the jungle to collect some wood for the fire he would make that night. As he was walking, he heard three gun shots go off. These were not just any shots. They were shots that he had heard before. He knew this for a fact, because he        

had keen hunting senses.
Panicking with curiosity, Rainsford followed the echo of the shots to the area at which they went off. He was running as fast as he could to get to where he need to be. He was sweating profusely in the thick, steamy jungle heat. While he was running, he heard more shots that made him run faster than what he was already going. He reached an opening and sees a familiar face.
"Oh thank the good Lord, Whitney!"
"Hello, Rainsford."
I'm overjoyed that you're here. I have been on this island for ages trying to keep myself alive from this psychopath from Russia. Have you heard of him? His name is General Zaroff," Rainsford explained to Whitney.
"I am confused at what you're talking about."
"What don't you comprehend?!" I've been on this island for months," Rainsford tried pleading to Whitney.
"Everything will be okay. The nurses are taking very good care of you, Rainsford."
"Nurses? What are you talking about? I'm stuck on an island. Remember, we were on our way to Rio when I fell off the ship and landed on this island."

Whitney's demeanor changed from a confused look to a blank expression.
"You fell off the ship and went unconscious. I jumped out of the ship and retrieved you and brought you to the nearest health center. You're in the hospital. You've been here for 39 years. You're dying, Rainsford."
"I don't understand," replied Rainsford.
At that moment, Rainsford's heart felt as if it exploded in his chest and it appeared to him that he was in fact, in a hospital. He was in the presence of his own body watching himself die.
How much time had gone by since the incident in the jungle? He went over to the fast-working surgeons that were trying to preserve his life and looked at himself. He was so wrinkled and aged. He didn't recognize himself as the man people once called Rainsford. A long beep silenced the room.