The Maze Runner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner

By MRolfes GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
MRolfes GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.” Alby, the leader of the glade wrote this. If they are human things will scare them, especially for the boys in this book. My favorite book is the The Maze Runner. I’m going to share three of my favorite characters in the book and why they are my favorites. Their names are Thomas, Minho, and Newt.

My favorite character in the book is Thomas. Thomas  is the main character of the book. My favorite thing about Thomas is that he is always helping others. The second night he was there he basically saved Alby’s life and almost died for him. Instead of running away from the grievers, which are like a combination of robots and spider, he hid Alby and made sure that he wasn't visible, then he ran away. Near the end of the book they went to “war” with the grievers and tried to escape the maze. The maze is what it sounds like a giant maze. It has four giant entrances into it and inside are bunch of trails. While fighting with them they started going after Chuck, who is the youngest glader.  Thomas killed the griever going after him and saved Chuck. Those are a few reasons why he is always helping others, but he is smart about how he helps which also makes him intelligent. When they were trying to figure out a way to escape the maze he figured out the codes by seeing if there were words written using the walls of the maze. He saw the changes they made every night and made a code out of all the letters he got and was right. While he was in the maze overnight with Minho and Alby he figured out how to get rid of the grievers. When he was running from them he ran to the cliff and jumped over them so they’d fall off. Also another thing I like about Thomas is that he is a runner. Runners are a group that are chosen to go into the maze during the day and run the whole time and remember every turn you take and where every wall is and you only get a break to eat lunch. When Thomas arrived at The Glade he was begging to be a runner so he could explore the maze and figure out a way to escape. Finally after he saved Alby, Minho, the keeper of the runners, decided he should be a runner.

Minho, the keeper of the runners, is my other favorite character. The best thing about Minho is that he always is thinking about what’s best for The Glade. If Minho hadn’t let Thomas be a runner they wouldn’t have escaped because he found the exit. Minho went behind everyone's backs to get Thomas as a runner because he knew Thomas was smart and could figure it out, so he did that to help. One day a boy named Ben started attacking Thomas, and they have a rule that there is no violence with any other glader so that it remains peaceful in The Glade. All the keepers or leaders had a meeting and Minho convinced them he needed to be kicked out for the safety of the gladers. Another great characteristic of Minho is that he too is smart. Every night the maze walls move, Minho remembers the whole maze and when it moves. Being the keeper of the runners he keeps track of the drawn maps they make and he memorizes all of them. The night Thomas, Alby, and himself were stuck in the maze overnight he showed Thomas ways to escape the grievers and where to run. Then when the grievers left the maze and started going in The Glade he told everyone how to make the walls of the huts thicker. Also Minho is straightforward and won’t beat around the bush. He gets right to the point. Minho is the keeper of the runners which means he is the leader of the runners. The keepers are all leaders of those things and are part leaders of The Glade, while Alby is the leader of The Glade.

Newt is second in command, and he is one of my favorite characters as well. When Alby dies Newt become the leader. Newt created a plan so that when the grievers came back instead of taking gladers they took decoys, which ended up saving some gladers lives. When they were trying to escape Newt had to decide who was going to enter the codes and be protected and who was going to fight off the grievers. He had to make an important decision, because he was the leader. But the best quality about Newt is how caring he is. Every time a new glader arrives the “Greenie” has to show them around, but Newt always shows them around as well and gives more detail about things. Whenever a new glader arrives he always tries to make them feel welcome. In the third book they learn that Newt has a disease which makes him go crazy, if they had stayed with him when he got very bad he would have eaten them. After they found out he had this disease Newt gave Thomas a note and told him not to read it until the time was right. Thomas agreed not to look at it, once Newt got really sick Thomas decided it was time to read the note. The note read “Kill me. If you’ve ever been my friend, kill me.” Newt hadn’t wanted to lose all his sanity and eat people so he wrote this. Once Thomas and Minho found him Newt begged Thomas to shoot him so he couldn’t harm anyone. Thomas refused to but he knew it was his last wish so he did. His last words were “Please, Tommy. Please.” Willing to die so he wouldn’t harm anyone else is very considerate and shows what a great person he was.

My favorite characters are Thomas who is helping and intelligent, Minho who is smart and always looking for everyones best interest, and Newt who was a leader and very caring and considerate. My favorite book series is The Maze Runner.  Alby mentions that humans are all afraid of something, but it turns out about a third have the disease and are crazy so they don’t act human. That’s why some were willing to die for others, they weren’t afraid.