A Simple Task - A Close Call | Teen Ink

A Simple Task - A Close Call

January 20, 2015
By KingCrowley BRONZE, Beals, Maine
KingCrowley BRONZE, Beals, Maine
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 “Cooper. What are you going to do when you turn 18?” I remember those words as I run as fast as I can towards the ridgeline.
“I am going to avenge my father’s death.” That statement I made only two years ago ring out in my head. I was true to my statement. Here I am now, crawling on my stomach in the mud and rain. I slowly peek my head over a ridge to see what my objective is.
I slowly take my rifle off of my back and aim a shot towards the enemy spotter. As I take aim, the rain drops running down the glass on the scope make it hard to concentrate. I release the safety with my finger. I put my finger on the trigger and slowly squeeze it until the rifle fires.
It’s as if everything went in slow motion as a pulled the trigger. The golden color of the shell whizzed through the air and then the man in front of me goes limp. His body drapes over the side of the tank, and I know it was a one shot kill.
I quickly stand up and run towards the enemy tank. I clamber up the side of the tank and pull a grenade out of my grenade pouch. I pry open the hatch on the turret and pull the pin on my grenade. I drop it in, jump off, and a few seconds later the grenade goes off.
I climb back on the tank and pull out my smoke grenade. I pop the pin and set it down on the top of the tank. I then climb down off of the top of the tank and grab the radio strapped to my back. “Commander. I have set smoke on the enemy tank. I’m clear of the zone. Feel free to fire at will.” I put the radio back on my back and run for a ditch that is nearby. I hear the faint whistling noise and know that the artillery strike is on its way.
I dive into the ditch and look as the shells hit the ground. I smile and then Smack! I am pummeled to the ground. I turn and start fighting back. I push him off of me and trip him up. He falls to the ground and I jump on top of him. I punch him in the face then he punches me back. I fall backwards onto my back. He pulls out a knife and tries to stab me.
I grab the arm he is using to push the knife at me and push against him with all my might. I punch him in the face and pull out my knife. I then quickly stab him in the chest. “You dirty Nazi,” I say as he gasps for breath. I feel my lips now bleeding and spit on his dead body. I reach over and pull out my knife. I wipe it on my coat then put it away.
I get up on my feet, strap my rifle back on, and walk away back to the small town where we had been ambushed earlier. I turn and see my platoon moving up the hill. I wave my arms and they start towards me.