A New Breed | Teen Ink

A New Breed

By Arturo Moreno BRONZE, Stockton, California
Arturo Moreno BRONZE, Stockton, California

I opened my eyes to a loud surprising sound. I woke up in a bed much more different than mine, and thankfully the loud sound was nothing more than a rooster’s morning call, I couldn’t recognize the room I was in, but it was obviously a bedroom, probably for a highschool teen. I overheard two adult voices and one child, I was going to talk to them but there was two things I noticed wrong, the first was the smell of booze coming out of my mouth and the fact that the window was left open. Did I sneak into this house when i was as drunk as a king with power? I didn’t have any answers but I wasn’t gonna take the chance of getting arrested, I suddenly heard the front door of the house close and a muffled voice.

“Bye Mom and Dad!” Yelled the loud voice, most likely the child.
I could tell that they responded but the thick door muffled the response. This was a chance to get out of the house and find some answers, I crept out of the room silently and saw that the child was playing a bloody shooter game. I swear, god must’ve loved me to bless me with these chances. I tried to silently sneak my way to the front door when I heard a young voice yell
  “WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE GOIN PARTNER!?”
I turned around to see it was the kid, he spotted me, what was I gonna do? He could scream and alert the neighbors, what should I do!? My mind was in a state of panic, The only thing that sounded logical was the worst idea: murder. I could snap his neck and grab a box and get the heck out of there, besides it’s not like the parents saw me.
“Walter what are you doing?” He asked with a confused brow.
“Walter?” I asked with equal confusion
“Yes Walter as in Walter Falzer, the eldest son of the Falzer family.”
Suddenly a flood of memories suddenly came to me, I was Walter Falzer, I was 26 years,  I remembered why I was drunk, I went to go buy a game called Call of Duty, but I couldn't understand as to why I was drunk and as to why this house seemed so familiar.
  “Walter, why does it stink?” said the boy with a mischievous smile.
  “Um…… don’t tell anybody.” I responded.
  “Only if you go and get a copy of that shooting cowboy game that came out.” he stated while looking at his shooter game
  “You can’t play that” I responded
  “Don’t care, get it or else” he said, emotionless
  “Fine” I said annoyed
To be honest I didn’t care about me being drunk. There were bigger worries on my mind. Why couldn’t I remember my life before getting drunk? Why was I a 26 year old living in his parent’s house? And most importantly, why did I seriously consider murdering a kid just to keep him quiet? I’ve never even considered murder as a solution in a situation. I went to go and get his his stupid game.  The store was full of fat nerds. They were looking at their dorky comics. They saw me and just snickered. Oh man, if even nerds who spend their sundays in a comic book store are laughing at me, I must be a loser. I was just going to get that stupid little kid his stupid game, but those nerds wouldn’t stop. I wanted to beat their faces in with a golf club. I was about to grab a strong piece of metal when the store owner told them to get out. I was about to go when the owner called me over and said I looked steamed.
  “You ok there son?” he asked in a soothing calm voice.
  “Son? I’m old enough to be your brother you lazy fool.” I responded angrily
  “Walter, are you ok? You’ve never been this angry or rude, you’re usually just…….. quiet.” he said
He was right, I had no memory of ever being her but he was correct, I’m not an aggressive person. I’m usually just mellow and keep to myself.
  “Sorry, I’m just so confused Mr……” I couldn’t remember his name.
  “Dan, boy you really are confused. So confused you can’t even remember old Dan’s name, why don’t you go and visit that new group called The Night Watch, I’ve heard that they work miracles on to lives" he said
  "Thanks but no thanks I'm going to go to get some food" I responded
  "Alright I'll see you later just remember they work miracles" he said threateningly.
What I could not understand was what was wrong with me I had become far more angrier than usual, I was so confused. At the station I begin to pick up some food it was a long line people kept on cutting in front of me I was a little angry but I decided to clean my good old mellow self and just let them cut. Until one man pushed, I was on the verge of snapping and asked him to politely get out of the way. He responded rudely. I was getting annoyed and impatient until he pushed me, that was it, that was the last straw.
  "You godamned bastard! Get the hell out of my way!"
I immediately grabbed a chair and threw it at him, It seems staff did not take so kindly to this all, one of the employees gave me a funny looked as she walked off to call the police, the manager came to me and said
  "Walter what's wrong with you? I know the guy was some huge jackass but you shouldn't have thrown that chair at him."
I suddenly remembered the Manager as he spoke my name, I was more confused then ever. Why was it that whenever I came to a blank I regained some memories? Amnesia does not work this way. Something was clearly going on and I couldn't stop it.
  "Listen I'm gonna let you off, just because I hate that jackass, so get outta here or else, but if you wanna get help for all your troubles just go to that new cult place The Night Watch." he said with a look of anger.
I began to stop and and heard my name being called, it was the girl, her name was Ashley. She looked a few years older than me and dressed like some stupid nerdy hipster. She spoke to me with surprising words I hadn't heard all day.
  "Who are you?" She asked curious
  "Walter Falzer, what of it?" I responded.
  "I saw the way you responded when the manager talked to you. You don't know any of them don't you? She asked.
  "How did you know?" I asked shockingly
  "I've been here for a couple days now, I don't know anyone until I come to a blank in my mind, then I suddenly know them better than the back of my hand, and when they notice that I've come to a blank they just recommend that I go some cult called the night watch, they say that it works miracles." She said in a curious manner.
  "Maybe we should go and see them, we need answers and so far seeking answers in these people is the equivalent of looking for a speck of dust in a room full of sneezing people." I said We saw no other thing than to go to this night watch cult, when we arrived there a very strange person was there. He was skinny and smelled of old leathery books. When he looked up he spoke in an old deep voice that was so deep it would put the voice of God to shame. He gave us both separate tasks and each required a different thing. The first task needed me to go to a pig farm and I went there with no questions asked, it required this very farm for some reason. I saw the old dusty farmer. This task required a pigs heart so I kindly asked him to get me one. He looked with an annoyed look and said

"Go get a pig and cut out it's heart yourself, you and those night watchmen hooligans come down here for muh pig hearts so go git em yerselves"
So as much as I hated that idea, he was right, if I wanted answers I needed to get my hands dirty, or in this case bloody. I walked into the barn and he drew lines on the pigs skin to imply where I should cut. It was horrifying. Every time I tried to stab the pig, I couldn't, how could I end a poor pig’s life? I couldn’t find this to be good in anyway, but answers required some work to find so after a deep breath I took the knife and stabbed the poor innocent animal. It’s squeals were so painful that I couldn’t bear to watch, alas after 3 minutes of of cutting it was over. I was about to go deliver the pigs heart when the farmer looked at the heart, he said I cut it all wrong and that if I wanted a pigs heart I’d have to cut it out with open eyes. Again he grabbed another pig, and drew lines again, this time I couldn’t hold back. This time I grabbed the knife and stabbed the pig with open eyes. It’s squeals were not as bad as before, but I didn’t like the sight of it. After 3 grueling minutes, I had a fine pigs heart. The farmer came to me and looked at the heart, he said it was a fine job at cutting a heart. It was a long drive to that night watch group. The old man reappeared. He told me a few words
“Very good job, but there is more to do you must go to this desolate building and destroy it with a bomb.”
A bomb, was he insane!? Killing an animal was one thing, but destroying an entire building was another. I wouldn't do it even if I needed answers.
  "Do not worry the building itself is empty and the police and construction workers have approved this" he said in a calm voice.
I felt much more calm at hearing that. I decided to perform what he asked and drove to the building. The street itself was as empty as a room of innocent satanists and I went inside and saw that this building was relatively poor which suggested that the neighborhood was poor. Non the less I went in and put the bomb in the building. As I began to drive away back to the cult, I saw that people were entering the building. My mind went into a panic. I immediately turned my car around to drive back towards the building but I saw that it was too late the building exploded and I heard screams. I saw cops coming right towards me, they kept chasing after me it took several turns and I drove into an alley and left my car, I decided to run towards the cult area. It wasn't easy, especially considering that as far as media knew, I was a terrorist. I eventually got to the cults building and entered. Inside I saw that the leader, who was the same person who gave me tasks whole time, was the only cult member in the entire building. It didn't matter, there were bigger fish to fry right now.
  "Why did you make do that!" I shouted
  "Congratulations,but there is still one more task" he said emotionless, ignoring the fact that I killed multiple people in a bombing
  "Enough! I want answers, I want to know what the hell this place is and why you wanted me to do that!" I was steamed, going over the edge. I needed answers
He simply said "Don't worry the final task gives answers to all your question"
I turned to see Ashley hung on a wall. The old man threw an axe at me. He explained it all.
" This world is a fake world that was created to train young people like you and Ashley into watchmen, incarnations of chaos, you performed exceedingly well every task. Not even bothering to question as to why we wanted you to do this. Now you are presented with the final test. Ashley chose to question it all, and for that she must die. If you kill her in this reality with this axe you will go back into real life, but she will die in real life. I give you five minutes.
I stood there taking it all in, he was right I had gone through every task not bothering to question what was happening, there's none to condemn but myself I was the gears in his clock, I had two choices: live a fake life, live a lie, on the run. Or simply end a life and go back to real life. I had thought about my actions. Even if those people were not real I murdered them. I am the one who has ended many lives for my own selfish goals. So I ask myself
"What's one more body to the fray?"
So I picked up the axe and with one swing with all my might I swung at her neck and lobbed it all in one clean swing.
"Congratulations"he said in a loud echoing voice as he faded out of existence with the rest of the world.
I woke up in the chamber two men unstrapped me from a large table. I asked them what my goal was now.
"Simple, cause chaos and anarchy in your life, and end it when you're at the end of the road" they said
I walked out of the chamber blinded by bright, the journey wasn't over it haegun.
"I take it that will be enough detective?" I told the two detectives
They looked at me with utter dumbfoundedness. They knew I was guilty of killing all those people, real or not. They stated that they were going to go and get the police to take me away.
"Well it's like that one guy said"
I took out the piece of strong fiber wire from my pocket and made a hole to use at the end of each string a tied one around a pipe from the ceiling, and the other around my neck. I stood on the chair.
"End it when you're at the end of the road." I said silently as I kicked the chair and let my eyes go black

I was more or less happy with doing this project