For Strength | Teen Ink

For Strength

By starforcebigbang SILVER, Beijing, Other
starforcebigbang SILVER, Beijing, Other

The world sucks a lot because there's war and terrorism and death, and we humans have to suffer through all of it. But it's also very beautiful because of the perseverance in humans, who will always fight even after time's end.

I stood in a dim room.
     Calling it a room would be incorrect, as my mind identified it as a “Rail-Force Catapult.” The confinement was high ceilinged, with a narrow width and a greater length, made from silver metal. I stood at one end on a pair of footholds, connected to two rails that extended along the entire length.
     I was encased within a bilayer mechanical suit. The first layer was a black skin suit that covered my body. The second layer was a sparsely distributed thin armor made from silver metal; cylindrical sections clamped around my forearms, a chest plate covered my torso, and boots reached to my knees. A helmet encased my head; a green visor covered my eyes, a guard protected my mouth, and two curved fins extended backwards from the forehead. In my hand was a weapon - a heavy sword with a curved, wide blade.
     Who am I? I thought.
     My helmet’s visor blinked on with a beep and read: Ken (Killing Engager) - Activated.
     Immediately, my goal was embedded within my mind: win.
     My visor’s text changed: Mission Start, and the “Rail-Force Catapult” growled awake. The far wall revealed itself to be a hatch as it split in half, opening to the outside.
     Execute Launching Sequence. I instinctively bent my knees and leaned forward. The footholds I stood on lurched forwards, thrilling me from the incredible speed as adrenaline flowed through my veins. As I exited the catapult, the footholds released me into the air.
     Propulsion System Activated. A hum rang through the air as my backpack released a blue aura, and I flew through the air with the help of plasma-powered jets.
     I soared above a ruined city, the skies polluted with thick grey clouds, and its buildings crumbling from of disrepair.
     Target Detected. My visor located an entity floating above the derelict skyline. The slender figure was clearly feminine, with thin black armor covering its entire body. Three fins extended backwards from its helmet, and a v-shaped purple eye visor covered its eyes. In its hands were twin black swords with pointed blades, like lances forged from darkness itself.
     Kate (Killing Annihilator Engager) Identified.
     Kate, I thought. Why does that name sound familiar? My memory strained for a second, as if I knew something, but had forgotten it.
     A memory briefly flashed in my mind - a beautiful girl whose skin was pale, whose long hair was black like strands of midnight, and whose lips smiled at me.
     “I…you…en...” she said.
     What did she say?
     “I love you, Ken."
     As I approached, Kate raised her twin blades and spun them expertly with her fingers before pointing them at me.
     Initiating Battle.
     I don’t want to fight her, I thought, yet rose the blade in my hands and pointed it at my opponent.
     Kate’s purple eye visor glowed violet, and a purple aura emanated from back as she boosted her plasma-powered propulsion system.
     And the battle began.
     With a cry of rage I charged and closed the distance between Kate and I in an instant. I spun round and smashed my sword into her twin black blades, and our weapons met with such force that sparks leapt from the impact.
     My mind was surprised at my ferocity, but my body continued attacking.
     As Kate repelled me with her blades, I flew away and dashed through the air in an arc, charging from another direction and striking again.
     Every time Kate forced me away, I would persistently strike again, determined to defeat my opponent.
     This continued for some time, and it became apparent that we were evenly matched. Kate’s twin swords allowed her to block my strikes quickly, but my aggressiveness matched her defense.
     Then I slashed at empty air.
     What? Kate had disappeared from my vision.
     Smash. I found myself hurtling forward as Kate struck a kick at my back.
     Propulsion System Damaged, my visor blinked and I groaned. My backpack was my propulsion system, and with it damaged, I couldn’t fly.
     Falling through the air and unable to fly, I could only wait to hit the ground.
     My gaze settled upon Kate, and as she simply watched me fall, I noticed the cloud layer part above her.
     “Activate solar energy collector!” I shouted. "Allow access to Electromagnetic Propulsion System!”
     The clouds completely parted and sunlight descended upon the  city. My silver armor shone gold as it absorbed the sunlight’s energy, and rings of green light materialized floated around my wrists, shoulders and boots.
     Solar Energy Collector, Sixty Seconds Remaining Until Critical State.
     That’s more than enough time, I thought, and charged into battle again.
     I ascended towards Kate like a rocket, and although she blocked the upward swing I made with my blade, the force of my strike caused her to drop her twin swords.
     Dropping down above, I continued my assault as I swung my sword downwards in a two-handed slash.
     Kate flipped around as she attempted to dodge, but I managed to slice off her back armor, completely disabling her propulsion system.
     She began to fall to the ground, but I wasn’t finished.
     I threw away my sword and followed Kate’s descent. As I caught up to her, I grabbed her shoulders and boosted my propulsion system to the maximum, increasing our descent until we were falling like a comet to the ground.
     We struck the ground with such force that a resounding crash rang across the entire city, and a shockwave kicked up a wall of dust.
     I stood before Kate, whose figure lay in the middle of a large crater. Her torso was completely mangled, revealing a labyrinth of wires and metal - the insides of a mechanical robot.
     As I stood there over my defeated opponent, I could not find joy in my victory. I felt as if I had just harmed someone dear to me, yet I didn’t know what relationship the two of us had.
     Round Complete, my visor read. Logging Out of Game.
    …
     I sat in a dimly-lit capsule, spherical in design, upon the cushioned seat. The curved surface I faced was a screen that emitted a soft golden light and read, Virtual Reality Battle Simulation Complete.
     Part of the curved surface hissed outwards, opening the sphere, and I stepped out of the capsule.
     I exited to a large room with several other capsules, where a girl waited. Her skin was pale, her long black hair was like strands of midnight, and she smiled at me.
     She was Kate, my older sister.
     “Good game, Ken!” she congratulated my victory in the video game as I stepped out. “You defeated me!”
     I leapt into her arms as we hugged before answering, “thanks, Kate!”
     “You fought great,” she continued. “How can you fight so well?”
     As I thought about it, my memory strained itself.
     “Ken? What’s wrong?” Kate asked.
     “I think I know something, but I’ve forgotten it.” As I looked Kate's worried frown, I noticed the clock behind her.
     “Kate! The time!”
     She checked the time and gasped. “It’s almost time for dinner! Let’s go, Ken!”
     As she grabbed my hand and led me out of the room, the warmth of her fingers made me smile and whisper.
     “I’m happy you’re my sister.”
     And together we went home.

A Virtual Reality capsule hummed to life, its curved screen emitting soft, golden light once more.
     Virtual Battle User: Ken Li. Altering memories during simulation may cause mental damage. Advised action: end memory altering.