The Spy | Teen Ink

The Spy

By ZoeyHowe BRONZE, Asheboro, North Carolina
ZoeyHowe BRONZE, Asheboro, North Carolina

"I try to live so that I can live with myself."

It’s just me. Huddled in this corner. I’m safe. I’m fine. They can’t hurt me. I’m okay. I’m okay. I’m oka- BANG! What was that? Was that them? What’s going on. Hide in the corner. The smaller you are the harder you are to find. Push yourself deep into the corner. They aren’t coming for you, Amelia. You’re safe. They don’t want a scared little girl. If they did, they’d be here by now. They’re Russian Spies. They aren’t stupid. I didn’t ask to be special. I never wanted to be a spy for America. I never even wanted to be a spy. I can’t help that my parents were scared of what I could do. I can’t help that they sent me, little Amelia, off for special training. I was only 4. I wasn’t dangerous. I just didn’t know how to control my telekinesis. It wasn’t my fault. I haven’t seen my family in 13 years. Thump. Thump. Is that them? Or was it the terrified thump of my heartbeat? Are they close? Or was it the sound of my terror? Could they hear that too? Or is it just in my head?

I’m an assassin. I don’t deserve to die nice and old. Happy with a family. I deserve this death. I deserve to be murdered. Terrified. I don’t deserve to make it out of here alive. No one I killed made it out alive. I guess I had it coming eventually. Karma, right? They were terrible. Not like me. No, just like me. Yep. I had it coming. I bet they’re coming close now. I deserve this. I was too terrible for this world. A lot of times, when a kid dies, people talk about how they were too gentle, too kind, too caring for this harsh world. That’s their explanation on why a young innocent life was taken. But not me, no one will remember me. The only person who would is my partner, Silence. That was his nickname. He’s one of the only people who still cares about me. Contrary to his name. He never stops talking. I can hear him in my earpiece now. “Hide Shadow. Amelia? Can you hear me? Amelia? Shadow? C’mon. I can’t lose you Shadow. You’re my partner. My family.” He will be the only one to mourn for me, his Shadow. He came up with my name. He said that no one ever saw me coming, but I was always there. A shadow. It’s a comforting voice to hear, the last voice I’ll hear. Death is imminent. I’ve always known that. No, death is here. I am standing on death’s doorstep right now, and someone rang the doorbell for me.

I wait and wait and wait. Wait for death. Wait for everyone I’ve murdered to be avenged. It’s been quiet for a while now. They must know I’m waiting for them. I hear Silence’s voice in my ear again. I hadn’t been listening for a while. I start to tune back in to what he’s saying. “Shadow. Shadow. Answer me. Amelia. They’re gone. They ambushed me and I took care of them. You’re safe to come out. You’re safe. Answer me Shadow. Please tell me you’re alive.” I sigh out of relief. That’s the most fear I’ve felt since my first mission. My first murder. No Amelia, don’t do that to yourself. Pull yourself out of that corner of your mind. Go find Silence. Answer him. “Silence? Nick? It’s me. Shadow. Where are you? I’m coming to find you.”

on Sep. 15 2014 at 8:28 am

Thank you so much! I was a little worried on how that would be interperted!

ReachFarther SILVER, Longmont, Colorado

"Thinking something is true doesn't make it so. Perception is almost as important as reality."

I LOVED reading this story. I especially enjoyed house you incorporated her worry and thoughts into a 3rd person point of view! Great job!!