Scarlet Drops | Teen Ink

Scarlet Drops

By FallenAngel170198 GOLD, Bundaberg, Other
FallenAngel170198 GOLD, Bundaberg, Other

The time I dreaded was approaching, the dozens of men lined up, their hands gripping their guns with white knuckles. A constant feeling of fear ran through them, there face contorting with fear and sadness. I knew many of the men that were getting ready to die in this place called Gallipoli. Most of them have girlfriends, wives and family to go back to and some are even under the legal age for war like me, 17 years old. Bullets soared through the air at a continuous pace as the enemy pursued us. We were losing this war. The smell of rotten flesh and blood filled the air as the skies mourned our dead. The large drops of water dribbled onto the ba7ttle field, filling our trenches full of mud that covered our feet and seeped into our skin. Our clothes stuck to our body as we waited for our orders. Shivering in our trenches, we waited.

“Oi, mate,” I turned to Rob who was occupying the trench next to mine,” We will get out of this, no need to be scared.”

I smiled at Rob,” We will, you have your lady to get back to after all.”

He smiled back at me then reloaded his machine gun as we were ordered too then, the soldiers started to run from our defences. They ran with their guns firing a continuous whir of bullets. The grunts of the enemy filled my ears as the bullets embedded into their flesh. I watched as the soldiers fell like dominos, blood covering the battle field. I knew two of the men very well, Lesley and Gregory. Even to their last breaths, they still were close together as friends. I watched as they both looked at each other, moaning and wincing from the pain then I watched as smiles filled their faces as both of them knew they were dying. I looked away as the two men I called ‘mates’ died in front of my eyes. Gripping my machine gun, I twisted my body to see the enemy then, I pulled the trigger. My gun barked with enthusiasm as I felt a new sense of purpose that boiled in my heart.

I will avenge Les and Greg, I thought to myself then I felt it. I felt a bullet insert itself in my skin, biting into my flesh and embedding itself near my bone. I grunted and slumped into my trench. The gun fell from my fingers into the puddle around my feet. Blood drained from the wound into the trench turning the once murky water a scarlet red.

“Will!” I heard Rob scurry towards me as winced.

“I’ll be fine,” I informed him as he put pressure onto the new wound.

“No you won’t!” He looked around frantically,” Help, someone help god dammit!” He yelled then looked back down at me, tears filling his eyes.

“I’m fine,” I moved to stand up, only to be pushed back down,” Let me up Rob, I need to keep going!” I yelled at him as I reached for my gun.

“No, No you don’t! You are injured. You need to get some medical attention,” He yelled, panic filling his voice as my blood dripped from his fingers.

I pushed him away with my other arm,” We can do this,” I grabbed his arm and pushed it away,” I can do this.”

I grabbed my gun and hoisted it over my arm while taking in the battle field. Turning to Rob, I noticed his face go white and his eyes rolled into his head, slumped onto the ground in between his and my trench, blood oozing out of his head.

“Rob,” I whispered then growled,” Rob!”

I grabbed my guns with two hands, ignoring the pain that shot through my arm and turned towards the enemy.

“This is for Les,” I shot my gun then heard someone scream on the receiving end,” This is for Greg,” I shot the gun again and winced in pain,” and this… this is for Rob,” I fired my machine gun.

A constant blur of bullets flew through the air and I growled in pain, frustration and grief. I heard a bullet fly towards me then I was shot backwards, falling into my trench. I felt bones break then blood filled my vision as excruciating pain filled my mind. I stared distantly at the sky and the last thing I thought was…

“I will forever be, an Australian.”

on Oct. 3 2014 at 8:12 am
Thank you c: I am very glad you like it.  

on Aug. 11 2014 at 10:20 pm
Rosehawk BRONZE, Fife Lake, Michigan
Oh, I love this!! Superb.