4) Captain Helm; A Bedtime Story

Leari boarded The Mecca in awe, honored to be able to see the interior.

The wood was ebony, dark like ashen oak. The boards were sturdy and strong, thick and presentable. The ship’s name was carved into her side in neat Calligraphy, each letter the size of Leari’s torso.

It was the biggest sailing boat Leari had ever seen, yet it was intimidating all the same.
As he walked through the gangplank, he felt as if he was being swallowed up by a monstrous beast, willingly being swept into its bowels.

“Avast ye, pirate crew! I found another boy on my trip, and I would like you to make him feel welcome; he is still undecided,” Captain Helm announced as Leari walked out onto the main deck, where men of all shapes, sizes, and ethnicities were practicing their tasks.

Even though they were so diverse, the company of people in front of Leari were working in an amazing harmony.

People were taking down and putting up sails, some were being repaired. The deck was being polished by swabbies, briskly and effectively together. A few men with telescopes were high up into the air, watching the land for any trespassers.
Leari could see a spark of pride ignite in Captain Helm’s eyes when she looked at her crew, and for some reason, that made Leari want to be a part of it.
But these people were trained so well, and Leari was almost as old as some of them. Plus, he had never been to sea before; what if he got seasick?

“Well lad, what do you think of The Mecca?” Captain Helm asked, looking up at Leari.
“It’s so…organized, and…cheerful. It’s amazing!”

“I’m glad ye think so. But I wouldn’t use such educated words around these folk; they’re the kindest men in the world, but not the brightest,” Captain Helm said, tapping the side of her head and walking away.

Everything was extraordinary, but Leari was afraid of being rejected by the crewmates.
Up until Captain Helm had left, they had all been working on whatever project they had been directed to do. But now, they were swarming around Leari, looking uncertainly at his gangly figure.

He could imagine what they were thinking;
“He’s so skinny! Why would Captain Helm choose him?”
“Why is he so scrawny?”

“Hoy, me name’s Gio,” a man told Leari, putting his greasy hand out to greet him.
“I’m Leari, pleased to meet you,” he said, shaking the man’s dirty hand, not unlike his own.
“Where ye from? Wouldn’t be any’ere prized, Captain Helm only takes the outcasts.”
“Uh, I’m from The Donnells’ Slave quarters.”

“A slave? Look sharp boys, we’re goin’ to be outdone!” Gio said happily. “Captain Helm loves her slaves, helps ‘em more than the others,” Gio explained to Leari off to the side.
“Oh, alright.” Leari was already swaying towards joining Captain Helm’s ship; being a former slave was a good thing here. And the crew wasn’t so bad, just a little dirty, nothing new to Leari.

“Can I speak to Captain Helm?” Leari asked Gio, craning his neck over the crowd.
“Aye, but ye'll have to ask politely,” Gio said, pointing towards her cabin.
“Thank ye Gio,” Leari said, already picking up on his language.
Leari walked over to the door and tapped softly. He heard a shuffling of boots, and Captain Helm appeared shortly after.
“Hello, may I have a word with you, please?” Leari asked as kindly as he could.
“Of course, step inside Leari.” And he did, seeing row upon row of treasure.
“What d’ye need son?”

“I’d like to join your crew.”
“I thought ye would never ask!”

pepsi.rules8 said...
today at 2:30 am:
These just keep getting better and better!  The dialogue was especially good in this one.  I loved how you wrote these characters with pirate slang; it really adds to the feel of the story.  Seriously, this is great.  The single suggestion I have is mechanical.  You didn't need to capitalize calligraphy.  I can't wait to read the rest of the Captain Helm stories :) keep writing!

pepsi.rules8 replied...
today at 2:32 am :
Oh!  I also have a question about the story, will we ever find out Captain Helm's background?  How did she become a pirate?  How did she learn how to sword fight so well and shoot so accurately?  Are there more female pirates like her?  Thanks :)

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 1:33 pm :
Thank you SOOOOOO much for all of the advice and amazing feedback!!! I appreciate all of your comments, and definitely go back and ecit all of what you advise me to :) As for the background... Yes, I am actually Writing ou "The lkegends of Rebecca right now, which explain her skill, and how she achieved Captain status. There are a few more Woman pirates, but you don't meet them until part seven or eight ;) Thanks so much for your interest in my stories, it truly means a whole lot to me!!

moderndayEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 24 at 11:56 am:
Haha, so funny. I love this. Keep on, Liv.Harris! Thank you for sharing this. 

Jul. 24 at 12:44 pm :
Thanks! I appreciate your feedback :)